E J Kooi
Affiliation: VU University Medical Center
Country: The Netherlands
- Abundant extracellular myelin in the meninges of patients with multiple sclerosisE J Kooi
Department of Pathology, VU University Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol 35:283-95. 2009..Aims: To determine whether myelin products are present in the meninges and perivascular spaces of MS patients...
- Meningeal inflammation is not associated with cortical demyelination in chronic multiple sclerosisEvert Jan Kooi
Departments of Pathology Neuropathology University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 68:1021-8. 2009..In addition, no follicle-like structures were found in the MS samples. Our data suggest that the occurrence of cortical lesions is not related to the presence of meningeal inflammation in a large number of chronic MS patients...
- Cholinergic imbalance in the multiple sclerosis hippocampusEvert Jan Kooi
Department of Pathology Neuropathology, VU University Medical Center, De Boelelaan 1117, 1081 HV, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Acta Neuropathol 122:313-22. 2011..Our findings reveal an MS-specific cholinergic imbalance in the hippocampus, which may be instrumental in terms of future treatment options for memory problems in this disease...
- Postmortem verification of MS cortical lesion detection with 3D DIRA Seewann
Department of Neurology, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Neurology 78:302-8. 2012..To assess the sensitivity and specificity of 3D double inversion recovery (DIR) MRI for detecting multiple sclerosis (MS) cortical lesions (CLs) using a direct postmortem MRI to histopathology comparison...
- Translating pathology in multiple sclerosis: the combination of postmortem imaging, histopathology and clinical findingsA Seewann
Department of Neurology, VU University Medical Centre, MS Centre Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Acta Neurol Scand 119:349-55. 2009..Studies combining postmortem magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and histopathology have provided important insights into the abnormalities reflected by MRI...