Henk J Groenewegen
Affiliation: VU University Medical Center
Country: The Netherlands
- The ventral striatum as an interface between the limbic and motor systemsHenk J Groenewegen
VU University Medical Center, Department of Anatomy and Neurosciences, Amsterdam, Netherlands
CNS Spectr 12:887-92. 2007
- Do rats have a prefrontal cortex?Harry B M Uylings
Netherlands Institute for Brain Research, KNAW, Graduate School Neurosciences, Meibergdreef 33, 1105 AZ, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Behav Brain Res 146:3-17. 2003..We will argue that rats have a functionally divided prefrontal cortex that includes not only features of the medial and orbital areas in primates, but also some features of the primate dorsolateral prefrontal cortex...
- The basal ganglia and motor controlHenk J Groenewegen
Department of Anatomy, Research Institute Neurosciences Vrije Universiteit, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Neural Plast 10:107-20. 2003....
- Does an imbalance between the dorsal and ventral striatopallidal systems play a role in Tourette's syndrome? A neuronal circuit approachHenk J Groenewegen
Department of Anatomy, Research Institute Neurosciences Vrije Universitei, VU University Medical Center VUmc, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Brain Dev 25:S3-S14. 2003..Whether such mechanisms indeed play a role in the expression of tics in Tourette's syndrome remains to be established...
- Disorder-specific neuroanatomical correlates of attentional bias in obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic disorder, and hypochondriasisOdile A van den Heuvel
Departments of Psychiatry and Anatomy, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Arch Gen Psychiatry 62:922-33. 2005..Attentional bias to disease-relevant emotional cues is considered to be pathogenetically relevant in anxiety disorders...
- Limbic and motor circuits involved in symmetry behavior in Tourette's syndromeFroukje E de Vries
Department of Psychiatry, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
CNS Spectr 18:34-42. 2013..We used a symptom provocation paradigm to investigate the neural correlates of symmetry behavior in TS and hypothesized the involvement of frontal-striatal and limbic brain areas...
- Three-dimensional organization of dendrites and local axon collaterals of shell and core medium-sized spiny projection neurons of the rat nucleus accumbensYvette C van Dongen
Department of Anatomy and Neurosciences, Amsterdam, Research Institute Neurosciences Vrije Universiteit, VU University Medical Center, P O Box 7057, MF G102, 1007 MC, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Brain Struct Funct 213:129-47. 2008....
- The major symptom dimensions of obsessive-compulsive disorder are mediated by partially distinct neural systemsOdile A van den Heuvel
Department of Psychiatry, VU University Medical Center, PO Box 7057, 1007 MB, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Brain 132:853-68. 2009..These results have clear implications for the current neuroanatomical model of OCD and call for a substantial revision of such model which takes into account the heterogeneity of the disorder...
- Frontal-striatal dysfunction during planning in obsessive-compulsive disorderOdile A van den Heuvel
Departments of Psychiatry, Anatomy, and Radiology and Outpatient Clinic for Anxiety Disorders, GGZ Buitenamstel, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Arch Gen Psychiatry 62:301-9. 2005..In addition, neuropsychological studies in OCD have reported impairments in visuospatial tasks and executive functions, such as planning...
- The proteome of the locus ceruleus in Parkinson's disease: relevance to pathogenesisKarin D van Dijk
Department of Anatomy and Neurosciences, Section Functional Neuroanatomy, Neuroscience Campus Amsterdam, VU University Medical Center Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Brain Pathol 22:485-98. 2012..These findings indicate that the proteome of the locus ceruleus of PD patients and non-neurological controls provides data that are relevant to the pathogenesis of PD, reflecting both known and potentially novel pathogenetic pathways...
- Frontal-striatal abnormalities underlying behaviours in the compulsive-impulsive spectrumOdile A van den Heuvel
Department of Psychiatry, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Neurol Sci 289:55-9. 2010....
- Putting a spin on the dorsal-ventral divide of the striatumPieter Voorn
Department of Anatomy, Research Institute Neurosciences, VU University Medical Center, MF G 102, PO Box 7057, 1007 MB, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Trends Neurosci 27:468-74. 2004..Therefore, this review presents a synthesis between the dorsal-ventral distinction and the more mediolateral-oriented functional striatal gradient...
- Amygdala activity in obsessive-compulsive disorder with contamination fear: a study with oxygen-15 water positron emission tomographyOdile A van den Heuvel
Department of Psychiatry, VU University Medical Center and GGZ Buitenamstel, Valeriusplein 9, 1075 BG Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Psychiatry Res 132:225-37. 2004..The findings of the present study are consistent with the hypothesis of decreased frontal-striatal control of limbic structures, specifically the amygdala, resulting in an inadequate fear response in OCD patients with contamination fear...
- [Give attention to war in medical education]Leo van Bergen
VU Medisch Centrum, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 153:A252. 2009..In spite of this, none of the Dutch medical faculties has given the subject a permanent place in its curriculum. Gathering knowledge on the medical consequences of war depends completely on the efforts of individuals...
- Frontostriatal system in planning complexity: a parametric functional magnetic resonance version of Tower of London taskOdile A van den Heuvel
Department of Psychiatry, Clinical PET Centre, VU Medical Centre, PO Box 7057, 1007 MB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Neuroimage 18:367-74. 2003..In addition, increasing task complexity was correlated with activity in the left anterior prefrontal cortex, a region supposed to be specifically involved in third-order higher cognitive functioning...
- Density gradients of vesicular glutamate- and GABA transporter-immunoreactive boutons in calbindinand μ-opioid receptor-defined compartments in the rat striatumFloris G Wouterlood
Section of Functional Neuroanatomy, Department of Anatomy and Neurosciences, Vrije Universiteit Medical Center, Neuroscience Campus Amsterdam, 1007 MB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Comp Neurol 520:2123-42. 2012....
- The orbital cortex in rats topographically projects to central parts of the caudate-putamen complexEduardo A Schilman
Department of Anatomy and Neurosciences, Institute for Clinical and Experimental Neurosciences, Graduate School Neuroscience Amsterdam, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Neurosci Lett 432:40-5. 2008..In contrast to nonhuman primates, the remainder of the rat nucleus accumbens is virtually free of orbital projections...
- Direct physiological evidence for synaptic connectivity between medium-sized spiny neurons in rat nucleus accumbens in situStefano Taverna
Netherlands Institute for Brain Research, and Department of Anatomy, Vrije Universtiteit Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Neurophysiol 91:1111-21. 2004..These data show that intra-accumbens synaptic communication between medium-sized spiny neurons exists, is mediated by GABA(A) receptors, and exhibits spike train-dependent short-term dynamics...
- Diagnostic cerebrospinal fluid biomarkers for Parkinson's disease: a pathogenetically based approachKarin D van Dijk
Department of Anatomy and Neurosciences, Neuroscience Campus Amsterdam, VU University Medical Center Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Neurobiol Dis 39:229-41. 2010..Furthermore, identified candidate biomarkers will have to be thoroughly validated before they can be implemented as diagnostic aids...
- The medial prefrontal cortex in the rat: evidence for a dorso-ventral distinction based upon functional and anatomical characteristicsChristian A Heidbreder
Department of Biology, Centre of Excellence for Drug Discovery in Psychiatry, GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals, Via A Fleming 4, 37135 Verona, Italy
Neurosci Biobehav Rev 27:555-79. 2003..The present review covers recent findings with the intent of correlating these distinct functional differences in the dorso-ventral axis of the rat medial prefrontal cortex with anatomical and neurochemical patterns...
- Chronic bilateral thalamic stimulation: a new therapeutic approach in intractable Tourette syndrome. Report of three casesVeerle Visser-Vandewalle
Department of Neurosurgery, Academic Hospital Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Neurosurg 99:1094-100. 2003..Chronic thalamic HFS may be an effective and safe treatment for medically intractable TS in adult patients. Unwanted stimulation-induced side effects may occur...