Henk J Groenewegen
Affiliation: VU University Medical Center
Country: The Netherlands
- The ventral striatum as an interface between the limbic and motor systemsHenk J Groenewegen
VU University Medical Center, Department of Anatomy and Neurosciences, Amsterdam, Netherlands
CNS Spectr 12:887-92. 2007
- Do rats have a prefrontal cortex?Harry B M Uylings
Netherlands Institute for Brain Research, KNAW, Graduate School Neurosciences, Meibergdreef 33, 1105 AZ, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Behav Brain Res 146:3-17. 2003..We will argue that rats have a functionally divided prefrontal cortex that includes not only features of the medial and orbital areas in primates, but also some features of the primate dorsolateral prefrontal cortex...
- Does an imbalance between the dorsal and ventral striatopallidal systems play a role in Tourette's syndrome? A neuronal circuit approachHenk J Groenewegen
Department of Anatomy, Research Institute Neurosciences Vrije Universitei, VU University Medical Center VUmc, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Brain Dev 25:S3-S14. 2003..Whether such mechanisms indeed play a role in the expression of tics in Tourette's syndrome remains to be established...
- The basal ganglia and motor controlHenk J Groenewegen
Department of Anatomy, Research Institute Neurosciences Vrije Universiteit, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Neural Plast 10:107-20. 2003....
- Disorder-specific neuroanatomical correlates of attentional bias in obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic disorder, and hypochondriasisOdile A van den Heuvel
Departments of Psychiatry and Anatomy, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Arch Gen Psychiatry 62:922-33. 2005..Attentional bias to disease-relevant emotional cues is considered to be pathogenetically relevant in anxiety disorders...
- Three-dimensional organization of dendrites and local axon collaterals of shell and core medium-sized spiny projection neurons of the rat nucleus accumbensYvette C van Dongen
Department of Anatomy and Neurosciences, Amsterdam, Research Institute Neurosciences Vrije Universiteit, VU University Medical Center, P O Box 7057, MF G102, 1007 MC, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Brain Struct Funct 213:129-47. 2008....
- Limbic and motor circuits involved in symmetry behavior in Tourette's syndromeFroukje E de Vries
Department of Psychiatry, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
CNS Spectr 18:34-42. 2013..We used a symptom provocation paradigm to investigate the neural correlates of symmetry behavior in TS and hypothesized the involvement of frontal-striatal and limbic brain areas...
- The major symptom dimensions of obsessive-compulsive disorder are mediated by partially distinct neural systemsOdile A van den Heuvel
Department of Psychiatry, VU University Medical Center, PO Box 7057, 1007 MB, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Brain 132:853-68. 2009..These results have clear implications for the current neuroanatomical model of OCD and call for a substantial revision of such model which takes into account the heterogeneity of the disorder...
- Frontal-striatal dysfunction during planning in obsessive-compulsive disorderOdile A van den Heuvel
Departments of Psychiatry, Anatomy, and Radiology and Outpatient Clinic for Anxiety Disorders, GGZ Buitenamstel, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Arch Gen Psychiatry 62:301-9. 2005..In addition, neuropsychological studies in OCD have reported impairments in visuospatial tasks and executive functions, such as planning...
- The proteome of the locus ceruleus in Parkinson's disease: relevance to pathogenesisKarin D van Dijk
Department of Anatomy and Neurosciences, Section Functional Neuroanatomy, Neuroscience Campus Amsterdam, VU University Medical Center Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Brain Pathol 22:485-98. 2012..These findings indicate that the proteome of the locus ceruleus of PD patients and non-neurological controls provides data that are relevant to the pathogenesis of PD, reflecting both known and potentially novel pathogenetic pathways...
- Frontal-striatal abnormalities underlying behaviours in the compulsive-impulsive spectrumOdile A van den Heuvel
Department of Psychiatry, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Neurol Sci 289:55-9. 2010....
- Cerebrospinal fluid and plasma clusterin levels in Parkinson's diseaseKarin D van Dijk
Department of Anatomy and Neurosciences, Section Functional Neuroanatomy, Neuroscience Campus Amsterdam, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands Department of Neurology, Neuroscience Campus Amsterdam, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands Electronic address
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 19:1079-83. 2013..We elaborate on the identified correlations between levels of clusterin and AD related proteins and on possible explanations for the discrepant findings in clusterin studies in PD so far. ..
- Putting a spin on the dorsal-ventral divide of the striatumPieter Voorn
Department of Anatomy, Research Institute Neurosciences, VU University Medical Center, MF G 102, PO Box 7057, 1007 MB, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Trends Neurosci 27:468-74. 2004..Therefore, this review presents a synthesis between the dorsal-ventral distinction and the more mediolateral-oriented functional striatal gradient...
- Amygdala activity in obsessive-compulsive disorder with contamination fear: a study with oxygen-15 water positron emission tomographyOdile A van den Heuvel
Department of Psychiatry, VU University Medical Center and GGZ Buitenamstel, Valeriusplein 9, 1075 BG Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Psychiatry Res 132:225-37. 2004..The findings of the present study are consistent with the hypothesis of decreased frontal-striatal control of limbic structures, specifically the amygdala, resulting in an inadequate fear response in OCD patients with contamination fear...
- [Give attention to war in medical education]Leo van Bergen
VU Medisch Centrum, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 153:A252. 2009..In spite of this, none of the Dutch medical faculties has given the subject a permanent place in its curriculum. Gathering knowledge on the medical consequences of war depends completely on the efforts of individuals...
- Frontostriatal system in planning complexity: a parametric functional magnetic resonance version of Tower of London taskOdile A van den Heuvel
Department of Psychiatry, Clinical PET Centre, VU Medical Centre, PO Box 7057, 1007 MB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Neuroimage 18:367-74. 2003..In addition, increasing task complexity was correlated with activity in the left anterior prefrontal cortex, a region supposed to be specifically involved in third-order higher cognitive functioning...
- The orbital cortex in rats topographically projects to central parts of the caudate-putamen complexEduardo A Schilman
Department of Anatomy and Neurosciences, Institute for Clinical and Experimental Neurosciences, Graduate School Neuroscience Amsterdam, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Neurosci Lett 432:40-5. 2008..In contrast to nonhuman primates, the remainder of the rat nucleus accumbens is virtually free of orbital projections...
- Density gradients of vesicular glutamate- and GABA transporter-immunoreactive boutons in calbindinand μ-opioid receptor-defined compartments in the rat striatumFloris G Wouterlood
Section of Functional Neuroanatomy, Department of Anatomy and Neurosciences, Vrije Universiteit Medical Center, Neuroscience Campus Amsterdam, 1007 MB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Comp Neurol 520:2123-42. 2012....
- Direct physiological evidence for synaptic connectivity between medium-sized spiny neurons in rat nucleus accumbens in situStefano Taverna
Netherlands Institute for Brain Research, and Department of Anatomy, Vrije Universtiteit Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Neurophysiol 91:1111-21. 2004..These data show that intra-accumbens synaptic communication between medium-sized spiny neurons exists, is mediated by GABA(A) receptors, and exhibits spike train-dependent short-term dynamics...
- Diagnostic cerebrospinal fluid biomarkers for Parkinson's disease: a pathogenetically based approachKarin D van Dijk
Department of Anatomy and Neurosciences, Neuroscience Campus Amsterdam, VU University Medical Center Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Neurobiol Dis 39:229-41. 2010..Furthermore, identified candidate biomarkers will have to be thoroughly validated before they can be implemented as diagnostic aids...
- The medial prefrontal cortex in the rat: evidence for a dorso-ventral distinction based upon functional and anatomical characteristicsChristian A Heidbreder
Department of Biology, Centre of Excellence for Drug Discovery in Psychiatry, GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals, Via A Fleming 4, 37135 Verona, Italy
Neurosci Biobehav Rev 27:555-79. 2003..The present review covers recent findings with the intent of correlating these distinct functional differences in the dorso-ventral axis of the rat medial prefrontal cortex with anatomical and neurochemical patterns...
- Chronic bilateral thalamic stimulation: a new therapeutic approach in intractable Tourette syndrome. Report of three casesVeerle Visser-Vandewalle
Department of Neurosurgery, Academic Hospital Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Neurosurg 99:1094-100. 2003..Chronic thalamic HFS may be an effective and safe treatment for medically intractable TS in adult patients. Unwanted stimulation-induced side effects may occur...