J Van der Zee
Country: The Netherlands
- Heating the patient: a promising approach?J Van der Zee
Erasmus Medical Center Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center, Department of Radiation Oncology, Hyperthermia Unit, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Ann Oncol 13:1173-84. 2002..Hyperthermia is certainly a promising approach and deserves more attention than it has received until now...
- Comparison of radiotherapy alone with radiotherapy plus hyperthermia in locally advanced pelvic tumours: a prospective, randomised, multicentre trial. Dutch Deep Hyperthermia GroupJ Van der Zee
Subdivision of Hyperthermia, Academic Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Lancet 355:1119-25. 2000..Local-control rates after radiotherapy for locally advanced tumours of the bladder, cervix, and rectum are disappointing. We investigated the effect of adding hyperthermia to standard radiotherapy...
- The Dutch Deep Hyperthermia Trial: results in cervical cancerJ Van der Zee
Department of Radiation Oncology, University Hospital, Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Hyperthermia 18:1-12. 2002..The therapeutic gain appeared especially worthwhile in locally advanced cervical tumours. Here, the results in patients with cervical cancer are summarized and discussed, and further details provided...
- Intra-luminal thermometry: is tissue type assignment a necessity for thermal analysis?D Fatehi
Department of Radiation Oncology, Unit Hyperthermia, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Hyperthermia 22:463-73. 2006..This study has analysed the acquired temperature data in order to answer this question...
- The clinical feasibility of deep hyperthermia treatment in the head and neck: new challenges for positioning and temperature measurementM M Paulides
Department of Radiation Oncology, Erasmus MC Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Phys Med Biol 55:2465-80. 2010..Further, HTP proved a valuable tool in treatment optimization. Items to improve are (1) the transfer of HTP settings into the clinic and (2) the registration of the thermal dose, i.e. dosimetry...
- Temperature data analysis for 22 patients with advanced cervical carcinoma treated in Rotterdam using radiotherapy, hyperthermia and chemotherapy: a reference point is neededD Fatehi
Department of Radiation Oncology, Unit Hyperthermia, Erasmus MC Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Hyperthermia 22:353-63. 2006..In this study our recent developed approach, RHyThM (Rotterdam Hyperthermia Thermal Modulator), has been used for thermal data analysis to investigate the temperature dynamics behaviour of a series of deep hyperthermia treatments...
- Reirradiation combined with hyperthermia in breast cancer recurrences: overview of experience in Erasmus MCJ Van der Zee
Hyperthermia Unit, Department of Radiation Oncology, Daniel den Hoed Cancer Centre, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Hyperthermia 26:638-48. 2010..Hyperthermia appears beneficial for patients with microscopic residual tumour as well. To achieve high CR rates it is important to heat the whole radiotherapy field, and to use an adequate heating technique...
- Incidence of acute peripheral neurotoxicity after deep regional hyperthermia of the pelvisD H M Wielheesen
Department of Radiotherapy, Hyperthermia Unit, Erasmus Medical Centre, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Hyperthermia 24:367-75. 2008....
- Winner of the "New Investigator Award" at the European Society of Hyperthermia Oncology Meeting 2007. The HYPERcollar: a novel applicator for hyperthermia in the head and neckM M Paulides
Department of Radiation Oncology, Erasmus MC Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center, Section Hyperthermia, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Hyperthermia 23:567-76. 2007..In an ongoing clinical feasibility study, we will investigate the possibilities of heating various target regions in the neck with this apparatus...
- Effects of hyperthermia on the central nervous system: what was learnt from animal studies?J Haveman
Department of Radiotherapy, Academisch Medisch Centrum, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Hyperthermia 21:473-87. 2005..1-1.3. There are no clear experimental data indicating an increase in adverse effects specific to the CNS after localized or whole body hyperthermia as a result of combined treatment with chemotherapy...
- Reirradiation combined with hyperthermia in recurrent breast cancer results in a worthwhile local palliationJ Van der Zee
Department of Radiation Oncology, University Hospital Rotterdam, Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center, The Netherlands
Br J Cancer 79:483-90. 1999..In The Netherlands, this combined treatment is offered as standard to patients with breast cancer recurring in previously irradiated areas...
- Quantitative evaluation of 2 x 2 arrays of Lucite cone applicators in flat layered phantoms using Gaussian-beam-predicted and thermographically measured SAR distributionsP J Rietveld
University Hospital Rotterdam Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center, Department of Radiation Oncology, The Netherlands
Phys Med Biol 43:2207-20. 1998..The results lead us to conclude that LCAs can be used clinically and their antenna interactions are not considered to be a problem under clinical conditions...
- Benefits of superficial hyperthermia treatment planning: five case studiesM de Bruijne
Hyperthermia Unit, Department of Radiation Oncology, Erasmus Medical Center Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Hyperthermia 23:417-29. 2007..To demonstrate the benefits of treatment planning in superficial hyperthermia...
- Thermal enhancement of both tumour necrosis factor alpha-induced systemic toxicity and tumour cure in ratsJ Van der Zee
Department of Hyperthermia, Dr Daniel de Hoed Cancer Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Br J Cancer 71:1158-62. 1995..In view of the large variability in tumour sensitivity for TNF-alpha, the clinical usefulness of this combined treatment modality has to be determined...
- Assessment of the local SAR distortion by major anatomical structures in a cylindrical neck phantomM M Paulides
Department of Radiation Oncology, Section Hyperthermia, Erasmus MC, Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center, PO Box 5201, NL 3008 AE, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Hyperthermia 21:125-40. 2005..This study presents a first step towards understanding of the complex influences of the various parameters on the SAR pattern which will facilitate the design of a site-specific head and neck hyperthermia applicator...
- Effect of a combined surgery, re-irradiation and hyperthermia therapy on local control rate in radio-induced angiosarcoma of the chest wallM Linthorst
Department of Radiation Oncology, Hyperthermia Unit, Erasmus MC Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center, 3008, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Strahlenther Onkol 189:387-93. 2013..The efficacy and side effects of re-irradiation plus hyperthermia (reRT + HT) treatment alone or in combination with surgery were assessed in RAS patients...
- Leg coverage with towels during regional deep hyperthermia treatment and its effect on pelvic temperature and temperature distributionD H M Wielheesen
Department of Radiation Oncology, Hyperthermia Unit, PO Box 5201, NL 3008 AE Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Hyperthermia 21:77-87. 2005..The feasibility and its effects on pelvic temperature distribution of covering the legs with towels during the second half of the deep hyperthermia treatment (DHT) is evaluated...
- Optimizing deep hyperthermia treatments: are locations of patient pain complaints correlated with modelled SAR peak locations?R A M Canters
Department of Radiation Oncology, Erasmus MC Daniel den Hoed Cancer Centre, Rotterdam, PO Box 5201, 3008 AE Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Phys Med Biol 56:439-51. 2011..Further development of this technology is necessary in order to use HTP as a valuable toll for objective and advanced SAR steering. The latter is especially valid for applications that enable 3D SAR steering...
- Effects of hyperthermia on the peripheral nervous system: a reviewJ Haveman
Department of Radiotherapy, Academisch Medisch Centrum, PO Box 22700, 1100 DE, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Hyperthermia 20:371-91. 2004..Vigilance is also required in the treatment of diabetic patients with hyperthermia, this based on experimental animal studies, but so far no clear clinical data are available...
- Clinical thermometry, using the 27 MHz multi-electrode current-source interstitial hyperthermia system in brain tumoursR S Kaatee
Division of Clinical Physics, Department of Radiotherapy, Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center, University Hospital Rotterdam, Groene Hilledijk 301, 3075 EA, The, Rotterdam, Netherlands
Radiother Oncol 59:227-31. 2001....
- Complaint-adaptive power density optimization as a tool for HTP-guided steering in deep hyperthermia treatment of pelvic tumorsR A M Canters
Erasmus MC, Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center, Department of Radiation Oncology, Hyperthermia Unit, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Phys Med Biol 53:6799-820. 2008..1 degrees C (Opt2) (p = 0.898)). HTP-guided steering is feasible in terms of PD reduction in complaint regions and in time consumption. Opt2 is preferable in future use, because of better complaint reduction and control...
- Development of a guideline for the water bolus temperature in superficial hyperthermiaM L Van der Gaag
Department of Radiation Oncology, Hyperthermia Unit, Erasmus Medical Center Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Hyperthermia 22:637-56. 2006..The goal of the research was to develop a guideline for the selection of the water bolus temperature based on 3-D electromagnetic and thermal modelling...
- Characterization of the SAR-distribution of the Sigma-60 applicator for regional hyperthermia using a Schottky diode sheetG C Van Rhoon
Erasmus MC Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center, Department of Radiation Oncology, Unit Hyperthermia, PO Box 5201, 3008 AE, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Hyperthermia 19:642-54. 2003..Additionally, the accuracy of the flexible Schottky diode sheet to measure E-field distributions was assessed...
- The Kadota Fund International Forum 2004--clinical group consensusJ Van der Zee
Erasmus MC Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Hyperthermia 24:111-22. 2008..In this paper the most relevant literature describing the clinical effects of hyperthermia is reviewed and discussed, and means to overcome the lack of awareness and use of this modality is described...
- Re-irradiation and hyperthermia for recurrent breast cancer in the orbital region: a case reportJ Van der Zee
Erasmus MC Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Hyperthermia 20:1-6. 2004..The chosen local treatment resulted in a very good palliative effect, which lasted for the patient's remaining lifetime of 22 months...
- Kadota Fund International Forum 2004. Application of thermal stress for the improvement of health, 15-18 June 2004, Awaji Yumebutai International Conference Center, Awaji Island, Hyogo, Japan. Final reportTsutomu Sugahara
Japan Health Foundation, Kyoto, Japan
Int J Hyperthermia 24:123-40. 2008
- Point-counterpoint: what is the optimal trial design to test hyperthermia for carcinoma of the cervix? Point: addition of hyperthermia or cisplatin to radiotherapy for patients with cervical cancer; two promising combinations--no definite conclusionsJ Van der Zee
University Hospital Rotterdam Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center, Hyperthermia Unit
Int J Hyperthermia 18:19-24. 2002....
- Today's patientsJ Van der Zee
Future Oncol 1:711-4. 2005
- Lessons learned from hyperthermiaJ Van der Zee
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 57:596-7; author reply 599-600. 2003
- Survey on the prophylactic as well as symptomatic treatment of intervention sites of malignant pleural mesothelioma in the Netherlands and BelgiumJ Van der Zee
Radiother Oncol 70:99. 2004
- Thermal medicine, heat shock proteins and cancerJ Van der Zee
Int J Hyperthermia 22:433-37; author reply 437-47. 2006
- Two cases of fatal necrosis of the lesser pelvis in patients treated with combined radiotherapy and hyperthermia for cervical carcinomaR Wiggenraad
Department of Radiotherapy, The Hague Medical Centre, The Netherlands
Int J Hyperthermia 21:185-92. 2005..After a disease-free interval, a rapidly progressive necrosis developed. Necrosis to this extent after combined modality treatment has, to the authors' knowledge, not been described...