R H S Westerink
Affiliation: Utrecht University
Country: The Netherlands
- Hondebrink L, Hermans E, Schmeink S, van Kleef R, Meulenbelt J, Westerink R. Structure-dependent inhibition of the human Î±1Î²2Î³2 GABAA receptor by piperazine derivatives: A novel mode of action. Neurotoxicology. 2015;51:1-9 pubmed publisher..g., adverse effects during overdoses. Therefore, this important mode of action is not only relevant for therapeutic psychiatric interventions, but could also proof valuable for therapeutic interventions in intoxications. ..
- Meijer M, Brandsema J, Nieuwenhuis D, Wijnolts F, Dingemans M, Westerink R. Inhibition of Voltage-Gated Calcium Channels After Subchronic and Repeated Exposure of PC12 Cells to Different Classes of Insecticides. Toxicol Sci. 2015;147:607-17 pubmed publisher..The data suggest that an acute exposure paradigm is sufficient for screening chemicals for effects on VGCCs and that PC12 cells are a sensitive model for detection of effects on VGCCs. ..
- de Ree H, van den Berg M, Brand T, Mulder G, Simons R, Veldhuijzen van Zanten B, et al. Health risk assessment of exposure to TriCresyl Phosphates (TCPs) in aircraft: a commentary. Neurotoxicology. 2014;45:209-15 pubmed publisher..Additional research is thus required to unravel the underlying causes for the reported health complaints. ..
- de Groot M, Kock M, Westerink R. Assessment of the neurotoxic potential of exposure to 50Hz extremely low frequency electromagnetic fields (ELF-EMF) in naÃ¯ve and chemically stressed PC12 cells. Neurotoxicology. 2014;44:358-64 pubmed publisher..Though our data require confirmation, e.g. in developing neuronal cells in vitro or (developing) animals, it appears that the neurotoxic risk of ELF-EMF exposure is limited. ..
- de Groot M, van Kleef R, de Groot A, Westerink R. In Vitro Developmental Neurotoxicity Following Chronic Exposure to 50 Hz Extremely Low-Frequency Electromagnetic Fields in Primary Rat Cortical Cultures. Toxicol Sci. 2016;149:433-40 pubmed publisher..Our combined data therefore indicate that chronic ELF-EMF exposure has only limited (developmental) neurotoxic potential inÂ vitro. ..
- Duarte D, Rutten J, van den Berg M, Westerink R. In vitro neurotoxic hazard characterization of different tricresyl phosphate (TCP) isomers and mixtures. Neurotoxicology. 2017;59:222-230 pubmed publisher..Moreover, prolonged and/or repeated exposure to TCPs may exacerbate the observed neurotoxic effects, which argues for additional research. ..
- Dingemans M, Schütte M, Wiersma D, de Groot A, van Kleef R, Wijnolts F, et al. Chronic 14-day exposure to insecticides or methylmercury modulates neuronal activity in primary rat cortical cultures. Neurotoxicology. 2016;57:194-202 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that the effects of chronic 14-day exposures to methylmercury and insecticides at low concentrations on spontaneous neuronal activity in vitro can be predicted in rapid acute screening studies using mwMEAs. ..
- Hondebrink L, Kasteel E, Tukker A, Wijnolts F, Verboven A, Westerink R. Neuropharmacological characterization of the new psychoactive substance methoxetamine. Neuropharmacology. 2017;123:1-9 pubmed publisher..Rapid inÂ vitro screening methods as those presented here, could be of utmost importance for gaining a first mechanistic insight to aid the risk assessment of emerging NPS. ..
- Heusinkveld H, Westerink R. Comparison of different in vitro cell models for the assessment of pesticide-induced dopaminergic neurotoxicity. Toxicol In Vitro. 2017;45:81-88 pubmed publisher..This clearly indicates that care should be taken when interpreting (neuro)toxicity data as the chosen cell model may greatly influence the outcome. ..
- Hondebrink L, Zwartsen A, Westerink R. Effect fingerprinting of new psychoactive substances (NPS): What can we learn from in vitro data?. Pharmacol Ther. 2018;182:193-224 pubmed publisher..These fingerprints can be implemented in the risk assessments of NPS that are necessary for eventual control measures to reduce Public Health risks. ..
- Westerink R, Beekwilder J, Wadman W. Differential alterations of synaptic plasticity in dentate gyrus and CA1 hippocampal area of Calbindin-D28K knockout mice. Brain Res. 2012;1450:1-10 pubmed publisher..It is hypothesized that CB functions as a postsynaptic Ca(2+) buffer as well as a presynaptic Ca(2+) sensor. ..
- Kasteel E, Westerink R. Comparison of the acute inhibitory effects of Tetrodotoxin (TTX) in rat and human neuronal networks for risk assessment purposes. Toxicol Lett. 2017;270:12-16 pubmed publisher..Consequently, we used experimental animal data to derive a human acute reference dose of 1.33?g/kg body weight, which corresponds to maximum concentration of TTX in shellfish of 200?g/kg. ..