Affiliation: Utrecht University
Country: The Netherlands
- Children's coping with in vivo peer rejection: an experimental investigationAlbert Reijntjes
Developmental Psychology, Vrije Universiteit, Van der Boechorststraat 1, 1081 BT, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Abnorm Child Psychol 34:877-89. 2006..Children higher in depressive symptoms were more likely to engage in passive and avoidant coping behavior. Types of coping were largely unaffected by gender and perceived social competence. Implications are discussed...
- Children's feedback preferences in response to an experimentally manipulated peer evaluation outcome: the role of depressive symptomsAlbert Reijntjes
Utrecht University, PO Box 80150, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Abnorm Child Psychol 35:497-507. 2007..These effects for depression were not accounted for by either state mood at baseline or mood change in response to the feedback manipulation...
- Costs and benefits of bullying in the context of the peer group: a three wave longitudinal analysisAlbert Reijntjes
Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Abnorm Child Psychol 41:1217-29. 2013..As bullying yields clear personal benefits for the bullies without strong costs, the findings underscore the need for interventions targeting mechanisms that reward bullying (198 words)...
- Delighted when approved by others, to pieces when rejected: children's social anxiety magnifies the linkage between self- and other-evaluationsAlbert Reijntjes
Utrecht University, Psychosocial Development in Context, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 52:774-81. 2011..e., state self-esteem) on social (dis)approval is unclear. It is also unclear whether this exceedingly approval-based self-esteem is a common correlate of social anxiety and depression, or specifically linked to one or the other...
- Role of depressive symptoms in early adolescents' online emotional responding to a peer evaluation challengeAlbert Reijntjes
Research Centre Psychosocial Development in Context, Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Depress Anxiety 26:135-46. 2009..Problems regulating emotions effectively (emotion dysregulation) are implicated in many psychological problems. Depression in particular has been increasingly conceptualized as a disorder of emotion regulation...
- Explaining the paradoxical rejection-aggression link: the mediating effects of hostile intent attributions, anger, and decreases in state self-esteem on peer rejection-induced aggression in youthAlbert Reijntjes
Utrecht University, Department of Psychosocial Development in Context, P O Box 80 140, 3584 CS, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Pers Soc Psychol Bull 37:955-63. 2011..Thus, acute peer rejection evokes hostile intent attributions that, in turn, lead to aggressive reactions...
- Prospective linkages between peer victimization and externalizing problems in children: a meta-analysisAlbert Reijntjes
Utrecht University, The Netherlands
Aggress Behav 37:215-22. 2011..Hence, externalizing problems function as both antecedents and consequences of peer victimization...
- Support for the predictive validity of the SASC-R: linkages with reactions to an in vivo peer evaluation manipulationAlbert Reijntjes
Utrecht University, Department of Psychosocial Development in Context, The Netherlands
J Anxiety Disord 21:903-17. 2007..Moreover, regardless of feedback valence, children scoring higher on social anxiety reported greater reluctance to engage in game-related social activities. These findings provide support for the predictive validity of the SASC-R...
- Arousing "gentle passions" in young adolescents: Sustained experimental effects of value affirmations on prosocial feelings and behaviorsSander Thomaes
Department of Psychology, Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Dev Psychol 48:103-10. 2012..These results suggest that "gentle passions" can be aroused in youth by cost- and time-efficient means. The practical utility of value affirmations will need to be evaluated in future work...
- Too calloused to care: an experimental examination of factors influencing youths' displaced aggression against their peersAlbert Reijntjes
Department of Psychosocial Development in Context, Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Exp Psychol Gen 142:28-33. 2013..However, the potentiating effects of callousness emerged only when the negative feedback was strong. This finding highlights the importance of examining disposition by situation interactions in displaced aggression research...
- Youths' displaced aggression against in- and out-group peers: an experimental examinationAlbert Reijntjes
Department of Psychosocial Development in Context, Utrecht University, 3584 CS Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Exp Child Psychol 115:180-7. 2013..This effect was not driven by ethnic prejudice; in both conditions, participants holding more negative attitudes of Moroccans engaged in higher levels of aggression regardless of the ethnicity of the target...
- The outcast-lash-out effect in youth: alienation increases aggression following peer rejectionAlbert Reijntjes
Utrecht University, Department of Psychosocial Development in Context, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Psychol Sci 21:1394-8. 2010..Thus, alienated youth are more aggressive than others when they experience acute peer rejection...
- Peer victimization and internalizing problems in children: a meta-analysis of longitudinal studiesAlbert Reijntjes
Utrecht University, 3508 TC, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Child Abuse Negl 34:244-52. 2010..The present study was designed to investigate if internalizing problems are antecedents of victimization, consequences of victimization, or both...
- Intolerance of uncertainty and social anxietyPaul A Boelen
Department of Clinical and Health Psychology, Utrecht University, P O Box 80140, 3508 TC Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Anxiety Disord 23:130-5. 2009..g., fear of negative evaluation) and for neuroticism. Furthermore, it was found that IU was related with symptom levels of GAD, OCD, and social anxiety, but not depression, when controlling the shared variance among these symptoms...
- Writing therapy for posttraumatic stress: a meta-analysisArnold A P van Emmerik
Department of Clinical Psychology, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Psychother Psychosom 82:82-8. 2013..We therefore conducted a meta-analysis to investigate the efficacy of writing therapies for PTS and comorbid depressive symptoms...
- Developmental trajectories of bullying and social dominance in youthAlbert Reijntjes
Research Centre Psychosocial Development in Context, Utrecht University, Heidelberglaan 1, P O Box 80140, 3508 TC, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Child Abuse Negl 37:224-34. 2013..However, research examining the developmental relationship between bullying and resource control is lacking. The present longitudinal study fills this gap in the literature...
- Intolerance of uncertainty and adult separation anxietyPaul A Boelen
a Department of Clinical and Health Psychology, Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Cogn Behav Ther 43:133-44. 2014..Additional findings indicated that IU is more strongly associated with symptoms of GAD, OCD, and social anxiety than symptoms of adult separation anxiety disorder and depression...
- Emotion regulation and its effects on mood improvement in response to an in vivo peer rejection challengeAlbert Reijntjes
Department of Developmental Psychology, Free University, Amsterdam, Netherlands
Emotion 6:543-52. 2006..Moreover, higher endorsement ratings for the strategy of "cognitive analysis" were associated with stronger increases in negative affect...