E C Wolters
Affiliation: University Hospital Vrije Universiteit
Country: The Netherlands
- Preclinical (premotor) Parkinson's diseaseE C Wolters
Department of Neurology, Academisch Ziekenhuis Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Neurol 247:II103-9. 2000..In this report, the study design and initial data from this ongoing study will be presented...
- Rigidity decreases resting tremor intensity in Parkinson's disease: A [(123)I]beta-CIT SPECT study in early, nonmedicated patientsA Winogrodzka
Department of Neurology, University Hospital Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Mov Disord 16:1033-40. 2001..Other pathophysiological mechanisms should be similarly investigated in order to further our understanding of the origin of resting tremor in PD...
- Leads for the development of neuroprotective treatment in Parkinson's disease and brain imaging methods for estimating treatment efficacyJ C Stoof
Department of Neurology, Research Institute for Neurosciences, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Pharmacol 375:75-86. 1999....
- Loss of olfaction in de novo and treated Parkinson's disease: possible implications for early diagnosisG Tissingh
Research Institute Neurosciences Vrije Universiteit, Department of Neurology, Vrije Universiteit Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Mov Disord 16:41-6. 2001..As significant olfactory impairments were found in early, de novo PD, olfactory tests may be useful in the early diagnosis of PD...
- Subclinical dopaminergic dysfunction in asymptomatic Parkinson's disease patients' relatives with a decreased sense of smellH W Berendse
Department of Neurology, Research Institute Neurosciences, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Ann Neurol 50:34-41. 2001..The results further indicate that olfactory deficits may precede clinical motor signs in PD...
- [123I]FP-CIT SPECT is a useful method to monitor the rate of dopaminergic degeneration in early-stage Parkinson's diseaseA Winogrodzka
Graduate School for Neurosciences, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Neural Transm 108:1011-9. 2001..Our findings indicate that [123I]FP-CIT SPECT seems to be a useful tool to investigate the progression of dopaminergic degeneration in PD and may provide an objective method of measuring the effectiveness of neuroprotective therapies...
- Motor perseveration is an early sign of Parkinson's diseaseD Stoffers
Department of Neurology, Vrije Universiteit Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Neurology 57:2111-3. 2001..An impairment of random motor generation appears to be a very early feature of PD...
- Effects of unilateral 6-hydroxydopamine lesions on neuropeptide immunoreactivity in the basal ganglia of the common marmoset, Callithrix jacchus, a quantitative immunohistochemical analysisT A Roeling
Department of Anatomy and Embryology, Vrije Universiteit, Faculty of Medicine, Graduate School Neurosciences, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Chem Neuroanat 9:155-64. 1995..Therefore, the results of the present study indicate that in marmosets dopamine has a inhibiting effect on the levels of striatal enkephalin, while its effect on substance P (SP) appears to be absent...
- [(123)I]beta-CIT SPECT is a useful method for monitoring dopaminergic degeneration in early stage Parkinson's diseaseA Winogrodzka
Department of Neurology, Vrije Universiteit Medical Centre, The Netherlands
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 74:294-8. 2003....
- Slowing of oscillatory brain activity is a stable characteristic of Parkinson's disease without dementiaD Stoffers
Institute for Clinical and Experimental Neurosciences, Department of Neurology, VU University Medical Center, P O Box 7057, 1007 MB, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Brain 130:1847-60. 2007..We postulate a role for hypofunctional non-dopaminergic ascending neurotransmitter systems in spectral power changes in non-demented Parkinson's disease patients...
- Management of psychosis in Parkinson's diseaseE C Wolters
Vrije Universiteit Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Curr Opin Neurol 14:499-504. 2001..Cholinomimetic therapy may prove to be helpful in the prevention and treatment of psychotic manifestations in Parkinson's disease patients, given the effects observed in patients suffering from dementia with Lewy bodies...
- Intrinsic and extrinsic psychosis in Parkinson's diseaseE C Wolters
Graduate School for Neurosciences, Amsterdam VUMC Vrije Universiteit Medical Center, Department of Neurology, The Netherlands
J Neurol 248:III22-7. 2001..As these symptoms are potentially treatable, identification is of major clinical importance both for the patients and their caregivers and may enable to maintain Parkinson's disease patients at home for a longer period...