P J Wijkstra
Affiliation: University Hospital Groningen
Country: The Netherlands
- Home based rehabilitation for patients with COPD. Is it equally effective as compared to outpatient rehabilitation?P J Wijkstra
Department of Pulmonary Diseases Home Mechanical Ventilation, University Hospital Groningen, Post Box 30001, 9700 RB Groningen, The Netherlands
Monaldi Arch Chest Dis 59:335-7. 2003
- A meta-analysis of nocturnal noninvasive positive pressure ventilation in patients with stable COPDPeter J Wijkstra
Division of Respiratory Medicine, University of Toronto, West Park Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada
Chest 124:337-43. 2003..We therefore undertook a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials (RCTs) that compared nocturnal NIPPV with conventional management in patients with COPD and stable respiratory failure...
- Non-invasive positive pressure ventilation (NIPPV) in stable patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)P J Wijkstra
Department of Pulmonary Diseases Home Mechanical Ventilation, University Hospital Groningen, Post Box 30001, Groningen RB 9700, The Netherlands
Respir Med 97:1086-93. 2003..A trial with ventilatory support in this group of patients can be considered...
- Reproducibility and responsiveness of a noninvasive EMG technique of the respiratory muscles in COPD patients and in healthy subjectsMarieke L Duiverman
Department of Pulmonary Diseases Home Mechanical Ventilation, University Hospital Groningen, 9700 RB Groningen, The Netherlands
J Appl Physiol (1985) 96:1723-9. 2004..In conclusion, the present study showed that the EMG technique is a reproducible and sensitive technique to assess breathing patterns in COPD patients and healthy subjects...
- Nocturnal non-invasive ventilation in addition to rehabilitation in hypercapnic patients with COPDM L Duiverman
Department of Pulmonary Diseases, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, Post Box 30001, 9700 RB Groningen, The Netherlands
Thorax 63:1052-7. 2008....
- New tools in pulmonary rehabilitationP J Wijkstra
Dept of Pulmonary Diseases, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Eur Respir J 38:1468-74. 2011..Therefore, at present, we cannot recommend these new tools as part of the routine management of patients with COPD who start a rehabilitation programme...
- International approaches to the prescription of long-term oxygen therapyP J Wijkstra
Division of Respiratory Medicine, University of Toronto, West Park Hospital, Canada
Eur Respir J 18:909-13. 2001..There were substantial differences among countries as to how the oxygen prescription was written. This survey highlights the need for multicentre studies that improve the effectiveness of long-term oxygen therapy utilization...
- A systematic review of the effects of bronchodilators on exercise capacity in patients with COPDJeroen J W Liesker
Department of Pulmonary Diseases, University Hospital Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Chest 121:597-608. 2002..The majority of studies reporting a measure of dyspnea found improvements, even in the absence of improvement in exercise capacity...
- The influence of rehabilitation on behaviour modification in COPDJohan B Wempe
Department of Pulmonology, University Hospital, P O Box 30 001, 9700 RB Groningen, The Netherlands
Patient Educ Couns 52:237-41. 2004..Evidence for this approach, however, is up to now only circumstantial. Further research should focus on maintaining results of rehabilitation and in particular on the role of psychological factors...
- Inpatient chronic assisted ventilatory care: a 15-year experiencePeter J Wijkstra
Division of Respiratory Medicine, West Park Healthcare Centre, University of Toronto, 82 Buttonwood Avenue, Toronto, Ontario M6M 25J, Canada
Chest 124:850-6. 2003..In this report, we summarize the outcomes of all patients admitted to a CAVC unit between 1986 and 2001...
- Home mechanical ventilatory support in patients with restrictive ventilatory disorders: a 48-year experienceMarieke L Duiverman
Department of Pulmonary Diseases Home Mechanical Ventilation, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, Postbox 9700 RB, Groningen, The Netherlands
Respir Med 100:56-65. 2006..After 5 years NIPPV, the arterial blood gases were still significantly improved compared to baseline (P<0.01). Both volume-controlled and pressure-controlled ventilation improved pulmonary function and arterial blood gases...
- Non-invasive ventilation in phrenic nerve dysfunction after lung transplantation: an attractive optionYvonne Berk
J Heart Lung Transplant 25:1483-5. 2006
- Simulated driving in obstructive sleep apnoea-hypopnoea; effects of oral appliances and continuous positive airway pressureAarnoud Hoekema
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, Hanzeplein 1, P O Box 30 001, 9700 RB Groningen, The Netherlands
Sleep Breath 11:129-38. 2007..Conclusions beyond both treatments improving simulated driving performance are, however, not justified by the data in the present study...
- Clinical-pathologic conference in surgery for congenital and acquired cardiovascular disease: unilateral pulmonary vein stenosis with a contralateral pulmonary varixYvonne L Douglas
Department of Cardio Thoracic Surgery, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 134:496-501. 2007
- Treatment of bronchiectasis in adultsNick H T ten Hacken
Pulmonary Department, University Medical Centre Groningen, University of Groningen, Postbox 30001, 9700 RB Groningen, Netherlands
BMJ 335:1089-93. 2007