A A Verhagen
Affiliation: University Hospital Groningen
Country: The Netherlands
- End-of-life decisions in newborns: an approach from The NetherlandsA A E Verhagen
Department of Pediatrics, Beatrix Children s Hospital, University Medical Center Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Pediatrics 116:736-9. 2005..This protocol serves as a tool to bring newborn euthanasia under a regime of effective control. This article describes the present approach to life-ending measures in newborns in the Netherlands and gives an overview of the protocol...
- Surfactant treatment in premature infants with Respiratory Distress Syndrome in CuraçaoA A Verhagen
St Elisabeth Hospital, Departments of Paediatrics and Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Curacao, Netherlands Antilles
West Indian Med J 50:117-22. 2001..This pilot study shows that surfactant treatment of premature infants is feasible in Curaçao. Earlier administration of surfactant, preferably within 2-3 hours after birth, is expected to lower the risk of death and oxygen dependence...
- Respiratory distress syndrome in Curaçao. Conventional versus surfactant treatmentA A E Verhagen
Departments of Paediatrics and Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, St Elisabeth Hospital, Curacao, Netherlands, Antilles
West Indian Med J 51:68-73. 2002..BPD and other complications remained unchanged. Earlier surfactant administration is suggested to reduce mortality and morbidity in the future...
- [Deliberate termination of life in newborns in The Netherlands; review of all 22 reported cases between 1997 and 2004]A A E Verhagen
Academisch Ziekenhuis, Beatrix Kinderkliniek, Postbus 30 001, 9700 RB Groningen
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 149:183-8. 2005..To gain insight into the reporting and assessment of active termination of life in newborns in The Netherlands. DESIGN; Retrospective...
- [Hopeless and unbearable suffering and deliberate ending of life of newborn infants]A A E Verhagen
Universitair Medisch Centrum Groningen, Beatrix Kinderkliniek, Postbus 30, 001, 9700 RB Groningen
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 151:1474-7. 2007..The points ofspecial importance that the medical profession had developed in relation to the assessment of future unbearable suffering may provide assistance here and should be implemented...
- [Insight into end-of-life decisions in newborns in Flanders, Belgium]A A E Verhagen
Universitair Medisch Centrum Groningen, Beatrix Kinderkliniek, Postbus 30 001, 9700 RB Groningen
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 150:355-7. 2006..The advice of the committee to the prosecuting authorities will be crucial. It is expected that this change will increase the willingness to report cases...
- Physician end-of-life decision-making in newborns in a less developed health care setting: insight in considerations and implementationA A E Verhagen
Department of Paediatrics, University Medical Centre Groningen, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Acta Paediatr 96:1437-40. 2007..Data on quality-of-life considerations in countries with developing health care are not available yet...
- Analgesics, sedatives and neuromuscular blockers as part of end-of-life decisions in Dutch NICUsA A E Verhagen
Department of Paediatrics, Beatrix Children s Hospital University Medical Centre Groningen, 9700 RB Groningen, The Netherlands
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 94:F434-8. 2009..Clinicians frequently administer analgesics and sedatives at the time of withholding or withdrawal of life-sustaining treatment in newborns. This practice might be regarded as intentionally hastening of death...
- [Assessment of late pregnancy terminations, 2004-2007]G G Zeeman
afd Obstetrie en Gynaecologie, Universitair Medisch Centrum Groningen, Postbus 30 001, 9700 RB Groningen
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 152:2632-5. 2008..To provide an inventory of the reported late terminations of pregnancy because ofa severe anomaly of the unborn child, i.e. termination after 24 weeks of pregnancy, in The Netherlands for the period 2004-2007...
- [Questionable basis for 'hopeless and unbearable suffering' as the criterion for the active termination of life in newborns with spina bifida]A A E Verhagen
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 149:2136; author reply 2136. 2005
- Developments with regard to end-of-life decisions in newbornsA A E Verhagen
West Indian Med J 54:277-8. 2005