Iris E Sommer
Affiliation: University Medical Center Utrecht
Country: The Netherlands
- Healthy individuals with auditory verbal hallucinations; who are they? Psychiatric assessments of a selected sample of 103 subjectsIris E C Sommer
Neuroscience Division University Medical Center Utrecht, B01 206, Rudolf Magnus School for Neuroscience, Heidelberglaan 100, 3584 CX Utrecht, The Netherlands
Schizophr Bull 36:633-41. 2010..Our data suggest that AVH in otherwise healthy individuals are not an isolated phenomenon but part of a general vulnerability for schizophrenia...
- Effects of cross-sex hormones on cerebral activation during language and mental rotation: An fMRI study in transsexualsI E C Sommer
Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, Brain Division, University Medical Center Utrecht, The Netherlands
Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 18:215-21. 2008..54, p=0.34), but post-treatment testosterone levels correlated to total activation during mental rotation (rho=0.64, p=0.01). Findings suggest that sex steroids may influence cerebral activation, but lateralization remains stable...
- Efficacy of Anti-inflammatory Agents to Improve Symptoms in Patients With Schizophrenia: An UpdateIris E Sommer
To whom correspondence should be addressed Department of Psychiatry, University Medical Centre Utrecht, Room A01 161 A01 126, Heidelberglaan 100, 3508GA Utrecht, The Netherlands tel 31 887556365, fax 31 887556543, E mail
Schizophr Bull 40:181-91. 2014..These 3 agents are all very broadly active substances, and it has to be investigated if the beneficial effects on symptom severity are indeed mediated by their anti-inflammatory aspects. ..
- How frequent are radiological abnormalities in patients with psychosis? A review of 1379 MRI scansIris E Sommer
Psychiatry Department, University Medical Center Utrecht and Rudolf Magnus Institute for Neuroscience, The Netherlands
Schizophr Bull 39:815-9. 2013..Some of these underlying organic disorders can be identified on magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scans. Whether routine screening for all psychotic patients should therefore include MRI scans is still a matter of debate...
- Resting state functional connectivity in patients with chronic hallucinationsIris E Sommer
Psychiatry Department, University Medical Center Utrecht and Rudolf Magnus Institute for Neuroscience, Utrecht, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 7:e43516. 2012..Moreover, we found decreased connectivity between language-related areas, indicating aberrant integration in this system potentially including corollary discharge mechanisms...
- Pharmacological augmentation strategies for schizophrenia patients with insufficient response to clozapine: a quantitative literature reviewIris E Sommer
Neuroscience Department of the University Medical Center Utrecht and Rudolf Magnus Institute for Neuroscience, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Schizophr Bull 38:1003-11. 2012..This meta-analysis summarizes available evidence on efficacy of pharmacological augmentation of clozapine treatment in schizophrenia spectrum disorder...
- The treatment of hallucinations in schizophrenia spectrum disordersIris E C Sommer
Neuroscience Division, Psychiatry Department, University Medical Centre Utrecht and Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, University Medical Center Utrecht, PO Box 85500, 3508 GA, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Schizophr Bull 38:704-14. 2012..Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) is considered a last resort for treatment-resistant psychosis. Although several studies showed clinical improvement, a specific reduction in hallucination severity has never been demonstrated...
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in schizophrenia: ready for practice or a good start? A meta-analysisIris E Sommer
Neuroscience Department, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Clin Psychiatry 73:414-9. 2012..This article quantitatively summarizes the efficacy of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) to augment antipsychotic treatment to reduce schizophrenia symptom severity...
- Formal thought disorder in non-clinical individuals with auditory verbal hallucinationsIris E Sommer
The Neuroscience Division University Medical Center Utrecht, Rudolf Magnus School for Neuroscience, Netherlands
Schizophr Res 118:140-5. 2010..The hypothesis of a shared neurobiological basis would be strengthened by the presence of FTD in individuals who frequently experience AVH, but do not meet DSM-IV criteria for a psychotic disorder...
- Auditory verbal hallucinations predominantly activate the right inferior frontal areaIris E C Sommer
Neuroscience Division, University Medical Center Utrecht and Rudolf Magnus Institute for Neuroscience, Heidelberglaan, Netherlands
Brain 131:3169-77. 2008..The predominant engagement of the right inferior frontal area during AVH may be related to the typical low semantic complexity and negative emotional content...
- Sex differences in handedness, asymmetry of the planum temporale and functional language lateralizationIris E Sommer
Neuroscience Division of the University Medical Center Utrecht, The Netherlands
Brain Res 1206:76-88. 2008..In conclusion, males are more frequently non-right handed than females, but there is no sex difference in asymmetries of the Planum Temporale, dichotic listening or functional imaging findings during language tasks...
- Aberrations in the arcuate fasciculus are associated with auditory verbal hallucinations in psychotic and in non-psychotic individualsAntoin D de Weijer
Department of Psychiatry, Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Hum Brain Mapp 34:626-34. 2013..As increased MTR in the arcuate fasciculus was present in both hallucinating groups, a specific association with AVH seems plausible. Decreases in FA, on the other hand, seem to be related to other disease processes of schizophrenia...
- The relationship of DNA methylation with age, gender and genotype in twins and healthy controlsMarco P Boks
Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, Department of Psychiatry, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 4:e6767. 2009..The identification of CpG loci of which DNA methylation levels are under genetic control or are related to age or gender will facilitate further studies into the role of DNA methylation and disease...
- Dissecting auditory verbal hallucinations into two components: audibility (Gedankenlautwerden) and alienation (thought insertion)Iris E Sommer
UMC Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Psychopathology 43:137-40. 2010..When alienation is not accompanied by audibility, it will result in the experience of thought insertion. The 2 hypothesized components are illustrated using case vignettes...
- Psychiatric morbidity and X-chromosomal origin in a Klinefelter sampleMarco P M Boks
Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, Department of Psychiatry, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Schizophr Res 93:399-402. 2007..Nevertheless, these findings provide further support for the role of the X-chromosome in the susceptibility to psychiatric disorders in general and psychotic disorders in particular...
- Initial evaluation of the effects of competitive memory training (COMET) on depression in schizophrenia-spectrum patients with persistent auditory verbal hallucinations: a randomized controlled trialMark van der Gaag
VU University and EMGO Institute, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Br J Clin Psychol 51:158-71. 2012..Design. A randomized controlled clinical trial comparing competitive memory training (COMET) with treatment as usual (TAU) in schizophrenia patients with persistent auditory hallucinations...
- Do mood symptoms subdivide the schizophrenia phenotype? Association of the GMP6A gene with a depression subgroupMarco P M Boks
Department of Psychiatry, Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, University Medical Centre Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 147:707-11. 2008..Overall, these finding suggests that investigating subgroups of schizophrenia based symptoms profile and particularly mood symptoms can facilitate genetic studies of schizophrenia...
- Estrogen augmentation in schizophrenia: a quantitative review of current evidenceMarieke J H Begemann
Neuroscience Division, University Medical Center Utrecht UMCU and Rudolf Magnus Institute for Neuroscience, Heidelberglaan 100, 3485CX Utrecht, Netherlands
Schizophr Res 141:179-84. 2012..This quantitative review summarizes available evidence on the efficacy of estrogens in the treatment of schizophrenia...
- The Measurement of Language Lateralization with Functional Transcranial Doppler and Functional MRI: A Critical EvaluationMetten Somers
Department of Psychiatry, Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, University Medical Center Utrecht Utrecht, Netherlands
Front Hum Neurosci 5:31. 2011..Our results suggest that fTCD can be a valid alternative for fMRI to measure lateralization, particularly when costs or mobility are important factors in the study design...
- Language lateralization in female patients with schizophrenia: an fMRI studyI E C Sommer
Department of Neuroscience, University Medical Center Utrecht, Heidelberglaan 100, 3584CX, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Schizophr Res 60:183-90. 2003..These findings indicate that lower language lateralization in women is not likely to underlie gender differences in schizophrenia...
- Language lateralization in monozygotic twin pairs concordant and discordant for handednessI E C Sommer
Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, Department of Psychiatry, Neuroscience Division, University Medical Centre Utrecht, The Netherlands
Brain 125:2710-8. 2002..Discordant language dominance may be caused by a relatively late time of splitting of the original embryo, which disrupts the normal development of left-right asymmetry...
- Efficacy of slow repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation in the treatment of resistant auditory hallucinations in schizophrenia: a meta-analysisAndre Aleman
BCN Neuroimaging Center, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, The Netherlands
J Clin Psychiatry 68:416-21. 2007..Several studies have now been reported regarding the efficacy of TMS treatment, but results were inconsistent. Therefore, meta-analytic integration of the published trials is needed to evaluate the prospects of this new treatment...