Barbara C Schouten
Affiliation: University of Amsterdam
Country: The Netherlands
- GPs' interactional styles in consultations with Dutch and ethnic minority patientsBarbara C Schouten
Department of Communication, The Amsterdam School of Communications Research ASCoR, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam 1012 CX, The Netherlands
J Immigr Minor Health 11:468-75. 2009..As every patient has a moral and legal right to make informed decisions, it is concluded that GPs should check more often whether their ethnic minority patients have understood what has been said during the medical consultation...
- Cultural diversity in patient participation: the influence of patients' characteristics and doctors' communicative behaviourBarbara C Schouten
Department of Communication, The Amsterdam School of Communications Research, University of Amsterdam, Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Patient Educ Couns 67:214-23. 2007..An additional goal was to identify the independent contribution of these variables to the degree of patient satisfaction and mutual understanding between GP and patient...
- Parent-adolescent communication about sexuality: the role of adolescents' beliefs, subjective norm and perceived behavioral controlBarbara C Schouten
Department of Communication, The Amsterdam School of Communications Research, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Patient Educ Couns 66:75-83. 2007..In addition, the role of adolescents' gender, ethnic background, religiosity and educational level on these relationships was assessed as well...
- Dental check-up frequency: preferences of Dutch patientsB C Schouten
University of Amsterdam, Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences, Department of Communication Science, Amsterdam
Community Dent Health 23:133-9. 2006..Possible associations between patients' preferences for regular dental check-ups and a number of antecedent variables, such as dental attitudes, were examined as well...
- Patient participation during dental consultations: the influence of patients' characteristics and dentists' behaviorBarbara C Schouten
Academic Centre of Dentistry Amsterdam, Department of Social Dentistry, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 31:368-77. 2003....
- Informed consent in Dutch dental practice: knowledge, attitudes and self-efficacy of dentistsB C Schouten
Department of Social Dentistry and Dental Health Education, Academic Centre of Dentistry, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Patient Educ Couns 42:185-92. 2001..It is concluded that improvement of the implementation of the requirements of this legislation in dental practice requires both a change in attitude and an enhancement of the communicative skills of dentists...
- Cultural differences in medical communication: a review of the literatureBarbara C Schouten
Interdisciplinary Social Science Department, Research Institute for Psychology and Health, Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Patient Educ Couns 64:21-34. 2006..In addition, a research model for studying this topic in future research is proposed...
- The impact of an intervention in intercultural communication on doctor-patient interaction in The NetherlandsBarbara C Schouten
Interdisciplinary Social Science Department, Utrecht University, P O Box 80 140, 3508 TC Utrecht, The Netherlands
Patient Educ Couns 58:288-95. 2005..The aim of the present study was to examine the effects of this intervention on doctor-patient communication...
- Cultural differences in managing information during medical interaction: how does the physician get a clue?Ludwien Meeuwesen
Utrecht University, Interdisciplinary Social Science Department, Research School Psychology and Health, P O Box 80 140, 3508 TC Utrecht, The Netherlands
Patient Educ Couns 67:183-90. 2007..What are the cultural differences in the managing of information in medical conversation? What is the relation with level of mutual understanding?..
- Dutch dentists' views of informed consent: a replication studyBarbara C Schouten
Department of Social Dentists and Health Education, Academic Centre of Dentistry, Louwesweg 1, EA Amsterdam 1066, The Netherlands
Patient Educ Couns 52:165-8. 2004..Specifically, dentists' fear for legal procedures and the difficulty they have with informing immigrant patients warrants further attention...