Affiliation: University of Twente
Country: The Netherlands
- Vascularization in tissue engineeringJeroen Rouwkema
Department of Tissue Regeneration, University of Twente, Drienerlolaan 5, 7522NB Enschede, The Netherlands
Trends Biotechnol 26:434-41. 2008..We will illustrate that combining the efforts of different research lines might be necessary to obtain optimal results in the field...
- Sonic Hedgehog-activated engineered blood vessels enhance bone tissue formationNicolas C Rivron
Department of Tissue Regeneration, MIRA Institute for Biomedical Technology and Technical Medicine, 7500AE, University of Twente, Enschede, The Netherlands
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:4413-8. 2012..These findings open the door for new strategies to treat large bone defects by closely mimicking natural endochondral bone repair...
- Tissue deformation spatially modulates VEGF signaling and angiogenesisNicolas C Rivron
Department of Tissue Regeneration, MIRA Institute for Biomedical Technology and Technical Medicine, University of Twente, 7500 AE Enschede, The Netherlands
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:6886-91. 2012..We suggest that tissue contractility and deformation can induce the formation of gradients of angiogenic microenvironments which could contribute to the long-range patterning of the vascular system...
- Tissue assembly and organization: developmental mechanisms in microfabricated tissuesNicolas C Rivron
Department of Tissue Regeneration, Institute for Biomedical Technology, University of Twente, Zuidhorst, P O Box 217, Enschede 7500 AE, The Netherlands
Biomaterials 30:4851-8. 2009....
- The use of endothelial progenitor cells for prevascularized bone tissue engineeringJeroen Rouwkema
Departments of Biomechanical Engineering, Twente University, Enschede, The Netherlands
Tissue Eng Part A 15:2015-27. 2009..The degree of organization, however, was higher. We conclude that EPC can be used for complex tissue engineering applications, but the differentiation stage of these cells is important...
- Spheroid culture as a tool for creating 3D complex tissuesEelco Fennema
Department of Tissue Regeneration, MIRA Institute for Biomedical Technology and Technical Medicine, University of Twente, Enschede, The Netherlands
Trends Biotechnol 31:108-15. 2013..Here, we review new possibilities that combine the strengths of spheroid culture with new microenvironment fabrication methods that allow for the creation of large numbers of highly reproducible, complex tissues...
- Endothelial cells assemble into a 3-dimensional prevascular network in a bone tissue engineering constructJeroen Rouwkema
Institute for Biomedical Technology, University of Twente, Prof Bronkhorstlaan 10D, Bilthoven 3723MB, The Netherlands
Tissue Eng 12:2685-93. 2006..This finding is a strong indication that in vitro prevascularization is a promising strategy to improve implant vascularization in bone tissue engineering...
- In vitro platforms for tissue engineering: implications for basic research and clinical translationJeroen Rouwkema
Department of Biomechanical Engineering, University of Twente, Enschede, The Netherlands
J Tissue Eng Regen Med 5:e164-7. 2011..Here we summarize the current status and future development of in vitro tissue models, based on the findings presented at this symposium...
- Supply of nutrients to cells in engineered tissuesJeroen Rouwkema
Department of Biomechanical Engineering, Institute for Biomedical Technology, University of Twente, Enschede, The Netherlands
Biotechnol Genet Eng Rev 26:163-78. 2010..Based on these concepts, the main strategies that have been developed to enhance the supply of nutrients to cells in engineered tissues will be discussed...
- Engineering vascularized skeletal muscle tissueShulamit Levenberg
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Technion 32000, Haifa, Israel
Nat Biotechnol 23:879-84. 2005..Prevascularization improved the vascularization, blood perfusion and survival of the muscle tissue constructs after transplantation...