Affiliation: University Medical Center
Country: The Netherlands
- Cigarette smoking and alcohol consumption in relation to cognitive performance in middle ageSandra Kalmijn
Julius Centre for Health Sciences and Primary Care, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Am J Epidemiol 156:936-44. 2002..This finding suggests that actions to prevent cognitive decline can be taken in middle age...
- Dietary intake of fatty acids and fish in relation to cognitive performance at middle ageS Kalmijn
Julius Center for Health Sciences and Primary Care, University Medical Center Utrecht, The Netherlands
Neurology 62:275-80. 2004..To examine the associations of fatty acid and fish intake with cognitive function...
- Chest radiography in general practice: indications, diagnostic yield and consequences for patient managementAnouk M Speets
Department of Radiology, Julius Centre for Health Sciences and Primary Care, University Medical Centre Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Br J Gen Pract 56:574-8. 2006..CXR substantially reduced the number of referrals and initiation or change in therapy, and more patients were reassured by their GP. Thus, CXR is an important diagnostic tool for GPs and seems a cost-effective diagnostic test...
- Expected and unexpected gallstones in primary careAnouk M Speets
Department of Radiology, University Medical Centre Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Scand J Gastroenterol 42:351-5. 2007..The aim of this prospective cohort study was to assess the differences in signs and symptoms of primary-care patients with expected and those with unexpected gallstones referred for upper abdominal ultrasound (US)...
- Homocysteine level and cognitive function in patients with arterial disease: the second manifestations of ARTerial Disease StudyA Fleur van Raamt
Julius Center for Health Sciences and Primary Care, University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Am Geriatr Soc 54:575-9. 2006..The results suggest that vascular mechanisms are not responsible for the relationship between tHcy and cognitive function...
- Depression and cardiovascular mortality: a role for n-3 fatty acids?Marjolein H Kamphuis
Julius Center for Health Sciences and Primary Care, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, Netherlands
Am J Clin Nutr 84:1513-7. 2006..Recent studies indicate that depression plays an important role in the occurrence of cardiovascular diseases (CVDs). The underlying mechanisms are not well understood...
- Upper abdominal ultrasound in general practice: indications, diagnostic yield and consequences for patient managementAnouk M Speets
Department of Radiology, University Medical Centre Utrecht Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Fam Pract 23:507-11. 2006..Abdominal ultrasound (US) is frequently performed in Western societies. There is insufficient knowledge of its diagnostic value in terms of changes in patient management decisions in primary care...
- Effect of non-invasive ventilation on survival, quality of life, respiratory function and cognition: a review of the literatureSanne Piepers
Department of Neurology, Rudolph Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, University Medical Centre Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Amyotroph Lateral Scler 7:195-200. 2006..All studies suggest a beneficial effect on QoL and other outcome measures (Evidence level Class II-III). Well-designed randomized controlled trials comparing the effect on QoL and survival have not been performed...
- Frequency of chest radiography and abdominal ultrasound in the Netherlands: 1999-2003Anouk M Speets
Department of Radiology, University Medical Centre Utrecht, Utrecht, GA, The Netherlands
Eur J Epidemiol 20:1031-6. 2005..In conclusion, this study showed marked differences in the frequencies of chest radiography and abdominal ultrasound according to age, gender and ethnicity in The Netherlands...
- Rehabilitation care for patients with ALS in The NetherlandsJan Paul van den Berg
Rudolph Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, Department of Rehabilitation, University Medical Centre Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Amyotroph Lateral Scler Other Motor Neuron Disord 4:186-90. 2003..Detailed information about the actual care of ALS patients in the Netherlands and about the attitude of consultants in rehabilitation medicine towards the management of this disease was lacking...
- Self-reported disability and its association with performance-based limitation in elderly men: a comparison of three European countriesCarolien L van den Brink
National Institute of Public Health and the Environment, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
J Am Geriatr Soc 51:782-8. 2003..To compare self-reported disability and performance-based limitation and their association in elderly men from three European countries...
- Marital status and living situation during a 5-year period are associated with a subsequent 10-year cognitive decline in older men: the FINE StudyBoukje Maria van Gelder
National Institute for Public Health and the Environment, Centre for Prevention and Health Services Research, PO Box 1, Internal Postal Code 101, 3720 BA, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 61:P213-9. 2006....
- Fish consumption, n-3 fatty acids, and subsequent 5-y cognitive decline in elderly men: the Zutphen Elderly StudyBoukje Maria van Gelder
Centre for Prevention and Health Services Research, National Institute for Public Health and the Environment, Bilthoven, Netherlands
Am J Clin Nutr 85:1142-7. 2007..Indications have been seen of a protective effect of fish consumption and the intake of n-3 fatty acids on cognitive decline. However, studies are scarce and results inconsistent...
- Depressive symptoms as risk factor of cardiovascular mortality in older European men: the Finland, Italy and Netherlands Elderly (FINE) studyMarjolein H Kamphuis
Julius Center for Health Sciences and Primary Care, University Medical Center Utrecht The Netherlands
Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil 13:199-206. 2006..We investigated to what extent depressive symptoms are a true risk factor for cardiovascular mortality in elderly men...
- Dispositional optimism and the risk of cardiovascular death: the Zutphen Elderly StudyErik J Giltay
GGZ Delfland, Institute of Mental Health, Delft
Arch Intern Med 166:431-6. 2006..We aimed to determine whether dispositional optimism is a stable trait over time and whether it is independently related to lower cardiovascular mortality in elderly men...
- Severity of Guillain-Barré syndrome is associated with Fc gamma Receptor III polymorphismsNina M van Sorge
Department of Neurology G03 228, University Medical Center Utrecht, Heidelberglaan 100, 3584 CX Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Neuroimmunol 162:157-64. 2005..Results suggest that Fc gammaRIII genotypes may represent mild disease-modifying factors in GBS...
- Early psychological stress after forearm nerve injuries: a predictor for long-term functional outcome and return to productivityJean-Bart Jaquet
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University Hospital Rotterdam Dijkzigt and Erasmus University Medical School, Rotterdam, The Netherland
Ann Plast Surg 49:82-90. 2002..This indicates that outcome after upper extremity nerve injuries may be influenced positively by psychological intervention...