Rudolf A de Boer
Affiliation: University Medical Center Groningen
Country: The Netherlands
- Meijers W, Lopez Andres N, de Boer R. Galectin-3, Cardiac Function, and Fibrosis. Am J Pathol. 2016;186:2232-2234 pubmed publisher..Am J Pathol 2016, 186:1114-1127). ..
- Meijers W, van der Velde A, de Boer R. Biomarkers in heart failure with preserved ejection fraction. Neth Heart J. 2016;24:252-8 pubmed publisher..Further, we will discuss several emerging biomarkers such as galectin-3 and suppression of tumorigenicity 2, and recently discovered ones such as growth differentiation factor-15 and syndecan-1. ..
- Meijers W, Hoekstra T, Jaarsma T, van Veldhuisen D, de Boer R. Patients with heart failure with preserved ejection fraction and low levels of natriuretic peptides. Neth Heart J. 2016;24:287-95 pubmed publisher..Among the patients with clinically diagnosed HFpEF, those with low BNP are strikingly similar to those with elevated BNP levels, except for BMI, which was significantly higher in these patients. ..
- Cannon M, van Gilst W, de Boer R. Emerging role of liver X receptors in cardiac pathophysiology and heart failure. Basic Res Cardiol. 2016;111:3 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the accumulating evidence supports the notion that LXRs may represent a novel therapeutic target for the treatment of heart failure. ..
- van der Velde A, Lexis C, Meijers W, van der Horst I, Lipsic E, Dokter M, et al. Galectin-3 and sST2 in prediction of left ventricular ejection fraction after myocardial infarction. Clin Chim Acta. 2016;452:50-7 pubmed publisher..The fibrosis biomarker galectin-3, but not sST2, taken immediately after MI, predicts LVEF and infarct size after 4months. We hypothesize that galectin-3 may play a role in the pathophysiology of cardiac remodeling after acute MI. ..
- Meems L, Mahmud H, Buikema H, Tost J, Michel S, Takens J, et al. Parental vitamin D deficiency during pregnancy is associated with increased blood pressure in offspring via Panx1 hypermethylation. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2016;311:H1459-H1469 pubmed publisher..Parental vitamin D deficiency is associated with epigenetic changes and increased blood pressure levels in offspring. ..
- de Boer R, Schroten N, Bakker S, Mahmud H, Szymanski M, van der Harst P, et al. Plasma renin and outcome in the community: data from PREVEND. Eur Heart J. 2012;33:2351-9 pubmed publisher..Plasma renin concentration is associated with an increased risk for CV events in a community-based cohort not on antihypertensive medication. ..
- de Boer R, van Veldhuisen D, Gansevoort R, Muller Kobold A, van Gilst W, Hillege H, et al. The fibrosis marker galectin-3 and outcome in the general population. J Intern Med. 2012;272:55-64 pubmed publisher..Galectin-3 is associated with age and risk factors of CV disease, with a strong gender interaction for these correlations. Galectin-3 predicts all-cause mortality in the general population. ..
- Suthahar N, Meijers W, Brouwers F, Heerspink H, Gansevoort R, van der Harst P, et al. Heart failure and inflammation-related biomarkers as predictors of new-onset diabetes in the general population. Int J Cardiol. 2018;250:188-194 pubmed publisher..This suggests that other, indirect, pathophysiological mechanisms related to inflammation may explain their strong relation. ..
- Gehlken C, Suthahar N, Meijers W, de Boer R. Galectin-3 in Heart Failure: An Update of the Last 3Â Years. Heart Fail Clin. 2018;14:75-92 pubmed publisher..In summary, galectin-3 is a biomarker and biotarget in cardiac remodeling and fibrosis and future research will target galectin-3-centered diseases. ..
- Suthahar N, Meijers W, Sillje H, de Boer R. From Inflammation to Fibrosis-Molecular and Cellular Mechanisms of Myocardial Tissue Remodelling and Perspectives on Differential Treatment Opportunities. Curr Heart Fail Rep. 2017;14:235-250 pubmed publisher..Understanding and describing the elements of the inflammatory and fibrotic pathways are essential, and specific drugs that target these pathways need to be evaluated. ..