H A Daanen
Affiliation: TNO Human Factors
Country: The Netherlands
- Circadian and age-related modulation of thermoreception and temperature regulation: mechanisms and functional implicationsEus J W Van Someren
The Netherlands Institute for Brain Research, Meibergdreef 33, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Ageing Res Rev 1:721-78. 2002....
- Finger cold-induced vasodilation during mild hypothermia, hyperthermia and at thermoneutralityH A Daanen
Department of Work Environment, TNO Human Factors Research Institute, Soesterberg, The Netherlands
Aviat Space Environ Med 70:1206-10. 1999..The influence of ambient temperature on the CIVD-response is well understood and documented, but the response of CIVD to hyperthermia and mild hypothermia has rarely been investigated...
- Infrared tympanic temperature and ear canal morphologyH A M Daanen
Head of the Department of Human Performance, TNO Defence, Safety and Security, Soesterberg, The Netherlands
J Med Eng Technol 30:224-34. 2006..The oesophageal temperature dropped by 0.22 degrees C. The IRTT and oral temperature showed an identical increase of 0.19 degrees C. The slow reacting rectal temperature had an after rise of 0.49 degrees C...
- Heat strain and gross efficiency during endurance exercise after lower, upper, or whole body precooling in the heatH A Daanen
Department of Performance and Comfort, TNO Human Factors, The Netherlands
Int J Sports Med 27:379-88. 2006..No differences in heat strain and gross efficiency were observed between precooling of the body part with the exercising muscles and precooling of the tissues elsewhere in the body...
- Resistance Index of Frostbite as a predictor of cold injury in arctic operationsHein A M Daanen
TNO Defence, Security and Safety, Business Unit Human Factors, P O Box 23, 3769 ZG Soesterberg, The Netherlands
Aviat Space Environ Med 76:1119-22. 2005..The purpose of this investigation was to determine the magnitude of the finger CIVD reaction in subjects prior to operation in cold areas and to relate these scores to the occurrence of cold injuries...
- Driving performance in cold, warm, and thermoneutral environmentsHein A M Daanen
Department of Work Environment, Thermal Physiology Group, TNO Human Factors, P O Box 23 Soesterberg, The Netherlands
Appl Ergon 34:597-602. 2003..It can be concluded that a thermoneutral temperature in a car enhances driving performance and may thus positively affect safety. Using manual climatic controls in hot or cold cars may interfere with the driving task...
- Finger cold-induced vasodilation: a reviewH A M Daanen
TNO Human Factors, PO Box 23, 3769 ZG Soesterberg, The Netherlands
Eur J Appl Physiol 89:411-26. 2003..This review illustrates the thermospecificity of the AVAs and the close link to CIVD. CIVD is influenced by many parameters, but controlled experiments yield information on how CIVD protects the extremities against cold injuries...
- Cold-induced peripheral vasodilation at high altitudes--a field studyH A Daanen
Department of Work Environment, TNO Human Factors, The Netherlands
High Alt Med Biol 1:323-9. 2000..7 +/- 1.1 degrees C at Day 7). It can be concluded that no acclimatization effects of CIVD occur during the first 7 days of altitude exposure, but that differences may occur after altitude exposure of several weeks...
- Axon reflexes in human cold exposed fingersH A Daanen
The Netherlands Organisation for Applied Scientific Research TNO, Department of Work Environment, Soesterberg, The Netherlands
Eur J Appl Physiol 81:240-4. 2000..These results showed that axon reflexes do not occur in a cold-exposed hand and thus are unlikely to explain the CIVD phenomenon...
- Cold-induced metabolismWouter D van Marken Lichtenbelt
Department of Human Biology, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 6:469-75. 2003..In adult humans, however, its role is less clear. Here we explore recent findings on the role and variability of nonshivering thermogenesis in adults...
- Evaluation of wireless determination of skin temperature using iButtonsWouter D van Marken Lichtenbelt
Nutrition and Toxicology Institute Maastricht NUTRIM, Department of Human Biology, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Physiol Behav 88:489-97. 2006..In conclusion, the application of iButtons is advantageous for measuring skin temperatures in those situations in which wired instruments are unpractical and fast responses are not required...
- The effect of ambient temperature on gross-efficiency in cyclingFlorentina J Hettinga
Research Institute MOVE, Faculty of Human Movement Sciences, VU University, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Appl Physiol 101:465-71. 2007..Cycling model simulations showed, that the decrease in GE could account for half of the performance decrement. GE decreased in heat to a degree that could explain at least part of the well-established performance decrements in the heat...