Marc J van de Vijver
Affiliation: The Netherlands Cancer Institute
Country: The Netherlands
- Molecular subtypes of breast cancer and amplification of topoisomerase II alpha: predictive role in dose intensive adjuvant chemotherapyJ Hannemann
Division of Experimental Therapy, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Plesmanlaan 121, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Br J Cancer 95:1334-41. 2006..Possibly, the difference of the cumulative dose of only 25% between the treatment arms was insufficient to yield a survival difference...
- Breast cancer response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy: predictive markers and relation with outcomeI F Faneyte
Department of Pathology, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Amsterdam
Br J Cancer 88:406-12. 2003..Proliferation decreases significantly after chemotherapy. ER negativity and a high proliferation index are associated with better response. HER2 status does not predict response, and outcome is not related to tumour response...
- Overexpression of P70 S6 kinase protein is associated with increased risk of locoregional recurrence in node-negative premenopausal early breast cancer patientsJ A van der Hage
Department of Surgery, Leiden University Medical Center, Albinusdreef 2, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
Br J Cancer 90:1543-50. 2004....
- Predicting a local recurrence after breast-conserving therapy by gene expression profilingDimitry S A Nuyten
Department of Radiation Oncology, The Netherlands Cancer Institute Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital, Plesmanlaan 121, 1066 CX Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Breast Cancer Res 8:R62. 2006..Here we have used gene expression profiling by microarray analysis to identify gene expression profiles that can help to predict local recurrence in individual patients...
- Gene expression profiling and histopathological characterization of triple-negative/basal-like breast carcinomasBas Kreike
Division of Radiation Oncology, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Plesmanlaan 121, 1066 CX Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Breast Cancer Res 9:R65. 2007..We examined the histopathological and gene-expression profile of triple-negative tumors to define subgroups with specific characteristics, including risk of developing distant metastases...
- A comprehensive analysis of prognostic signatures reveals the high predictive capacity of the proliferation, immune response and RNA splicing modules in breast cancerFabien Reyal
Department of Pathology, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Plesmanlaan 121, 1066 CX Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Breast Cancer Res 10:R93. 2008..we address the following issues: Do these signatures perform similarly? Are there (common) molecular processes reported by these signatures? Can better prognostic predictors be constructed based on these identified molecular processes?..
- Classification of ductal carcinoma in situ by gene expression profilingJuliane Hannemann
Division of Experimental Therapy, Netherlands Cancer Institute, Plesmanlaan 121, 1066 CX Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Breast Cancer Res 8:R61. 2006....
- Efficacy of adjuvant chemotherapy according to hormone receptor status in young patients with breast cancer: a pooled analysisJos A van der Hage
Leiden University Medical Center, Department of Surgery, Albinusdreef 2, 2333 ZA Leiden, The Netherlands
Breast Cancer Res 9:R70. 2007..Therefore, we studied the effect of adjuvant chemotherapy in young patients with breast cancer in relation to hormone receptor status...
- EZH2 and BMI1 inversely correlate with prognosis and TP53 mutation in breast cancerAlexandra M Pietersen
Division of Molecular Genetics, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Plesmanlaan 121, Amsterdam, 1066X, The Netherlands
Breast Cancer Res 10:R109. 2008..This histone mark recruits the BMI1-containing PRC1 that silences the genes marked by PRC2. Based on their role in stem cells, EZH2 and BMI1 have been predicted to contribute to a poor outcome for cancer patients...
- Pooling breast cancer datasets has a synergetic effect on classification performance and improves signature stabilityMartin H van Vliet
Information and Communication Theory Group, Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science, Delft University of Technology, Mekelweg 4, 2628 CD Delft, The Netherlands
BMC Genomics 9:375. 2008..This provides a unique opportunity to employ a substantial dataset to investigate the effects of pooling datasets on classifier accuracy, signature stability and enrichment of functional categories...
- SIRAC: Supervised Identification of Regions of Aberration in aCGH datasetsCarmen Lai
Bioinformatics Group, Delft University, Delft, The Netherlands
BMC Bioinformatics 8:422. 2007..Therefore, the identification of DNA amplifications or deletions across tumors may reveal key genes involved in cancer and improve our understanding of the underlying biological processes associated with the disease...
- Chromogenic in situ hybridisation for the assessment of HER2 status in breast cancer: an international validation ring studyMarc van de Vijver
Netherlands Cancer Institute, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Breast Cancer Res 9:R68. 2007....
- Emerging technologies for HER2 testingMarc van de Vijver
Department of Pathology, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, NL 1066 CX Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Oncology 63:33-8. 2002..While such technologies show great promise, they will at least have to be validated against IHC or FISH before being accepted into routine clinical practice...
- Gene-expression profiling and the future of adjuvant therapyMarc van de Vijver
Department of Pathology, Netherlands Cancer Institute, Plesmanlaan 121, 1066 CX Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Oncologist 10:30-4. 2005..com) in breast cancer patients. It is expected that in the coming years an increasing number of novel prognostic and predictive tests will help in guiding the adjuvant systemic treatment of breast cancer and other malignancies...
- The diagnosis and management of pre-invasive breast disease: pathological diagnosis--problems with existing classificationsMarc J van de Vijver
Netherlands Cancer Institute, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Breast Cancer Res 5:269. 2003..If there is doubt about the classification of an intraductal proliferation, a differential diagnosis and the reason for and degree of uncertainty should be given, rather than categorizing a proliferation as atypical...
- Multidrug resistance associated genes MRP1, MRP2 and MRP3 in primary and anthracycline exposed breast cancerIan F Faneyte
Department of Experimental Therapy, Cancer Institute Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Anticancer Res 24:2931-9. 2004..Multidrug resistance associated proteins MRP1, MRP2 and MRP3 confer in vitro multidrug resistance. We investigated their role in breast cancer resistance to anthracycline-based chemotherapy...
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy for localised ductal carcinoma in situ?P Veronesi
Division of Breast Surgery, European Institute of Oncology, Via Ripamonti, 435, 20141 Milan, Italy
Breast 14:520-2. 2005..If the SLN is micrometastatic complete axillary dissection is not unavoidable...
- Radiation-associated breast tumors display a distinct gene expression profileAnnegien Broeks
Division of Experimental Therapy, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 76:540-7. 2010..Approximately 90% of the breast cancers in these patients can be attributed to their radiation treatment, rendering such series extremely useful to determine whether a common radiation-associated cause underlies the carcinogenic process...
- Concordance of clinical and molecular breast cancer subtyping in the context of preoperative chemotherapy responseJorma J de Ronde
Department of Bioinformatics and Statistics, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Breast Cancer Res Treat 119:119-26. 2010..For Luminal(IHC) and triple negative(IHC) tumors, further subdivision into molecular subgroups does not offer a clear advantage in treatment selection...
- A conditional mouse model for malignant mesotheliomaJohan Jongsma
Department of Molecular Genetics, Cancer Genomics Centre, Centre for Biomedical Genetics, Netherlands Cancer Institute, Plesmanlaan 121, 1066 CX Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Cancer Cell 13:261-71. 2008..Interestingly, upon Ink4a loss in the latter mice median survival was significantly reduced and all tumors were highly invasive, suggesting that Ink4a loss substantially contributes to the poor clinical outcome of malignant mesothelioma...
- A cell proliferation signature is a marker of extremely poor outcome in a subpopulation of breast cancer patientsHongyue Dai
Rosetta Inpharmatics LLC, A wholly owned subsidiary of Merck and Co Inc Seattle, Washington, USA
Cancer Res 65:4059-66. 2005..Our work presented here may contribute a crucial step towards rational design of personalized treatment...
- Determination of stromal signatures in breast carcinomaRobert B West
Department of Pathology, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, California, USA
PLoS Biol 3:e187. 2005..Our findings suggest that the host stromal response varies significantly among carcinomas and that gene expression patterns characteristic of soft tissue tumors can be used to discover new markers for normal connective tissue cells...
- Improving patient care through molecular diagnosticsEdith A Perez
Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, FL 32224, USA
Semin Oncol 31:14-20. 2004..The use of these systems will allow further development of customized therapies directed toward the particular molecular defects in a given cancer...
- Current perspectives on HER2 testing: a review of national testing guidelinesMichael Bilous
Institute of Clinical Pathology and Medical Research, Westmead Hospital, Westmead, New South Wales, Australia
Mod Pathol 16:173-82. 2003..The key point underlined by this review is that whatever method is used to test for HER2 status, the technology must be validated first, and there must be regular internal and external quality control and quality assurance procedures...
- Lung metastasis genes couple breast tumor size and metastatic spreadAndy J Minn
Department of Radiation and Cellular Oncology, Center for Molecular Oncology, and Ludwig Center for Metastasis Research, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:6740-5. 2007....
- American Society of Clinical Oncology/College of American Pathologists guideline recommendations for human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 testing in breast cancerAntonio C Wolff
American Society of Clinical Oncology, Alexandria, VA, USA
J Clin Oncol 25:118-45. 2007..To develop a guideline to improve the accuracy of human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2) testing in invasive breast cancer and its utility as a predictive marker...