Genomes and Genes
Manuel Castro Cabezas
Affiliation: Sint Franciscus Gasthuis
Country: The Netherlands
- Effects of atorvastatin on the clearance of triglyceride-rich lipoproteins in familial combined hyperlipidemiaM Castro Cabezas
Department of Internal Medicine, St Franciscus Gasthuis Rotterdam, 3004 BA Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:5972-80. 2004..Fasting plasma TG should be reduced more aggressively in FCHL to overcome the lipolytic disturbance causing delayed clearance of postprandial TRLs...
- Leukocyte activation by triglyceride-rich lipoproteinsArash Alipour
Department of Internal Medicine, University Medical Center Utrecht, The Netherlands
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 28:792-7. 2008..Postprandial lipemia has been linked to atherosclerosis and inflammation. Because leukocyte activation is obligatory for atherogenesis, leukocyte activation by triglyceride-rich lipoproteins (TRLs) was investigated...
- Hypertriglyceridemia, Metabolic Syndrome, and Cardiovascular Disease in HIV-Infected Patients: Effects of Antiretroviral Therapy and Adipose Tissue DistributionJeroen P H van Wijk
Department of Internal Medicine, University Medical Center, P O Box 85500, 3508 GA Utrecht, The Netherlands
Int J Vasc Med 2012:201027. 2012..This paper reviews the contribution of both, HIV infection and CART, to insulin resistance, postprandial hyperlipidemia and cardiovascular risk in HIV-infected patients. Strategies to reduce cardiovascular risk are also discussed...
- AT1 Receptor Gene Polymorphisms in relation to Postprandial LipemiaB Klop
Department of Internal Medicine, Center for Diabetes and Vascular Medicine, St Franciscus Gasthuis, P O Box 10900, 3004 BA Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Vasc Med 2012:271030. 2012..Conclusion. The 1166-C allele of the AT1R gene seems to be associated with increased postprandial lipemia. These data confirm the earlier described relationships between the renin-angiotensin axis and triglyceride metabolism...
- Understanding postprandial inflammation and its relationship to lifestyle behaviour and metabolic diseasesBoudewijn Klop
Department of Internal Medicine, Center for Diabetes and Vascular Medicine, Sint Franciscus Gasthuis, 3004 BA Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Vasc Med 2012:947417. 2012..This paper will provide an update on current concepts concerning the relationship between postprandial lipemia, inflammation, vascular function, and therapeutic options...
- Effects of metformin on the regulation of free Fatty acids in insulin resistance: a double-blind, placebo-controlled studyManuel Castro Cabezas
Department of Internal Medicine, Center for Diabetes and Vascular Medicine, Sint Franciscus Gasthuis Rotterdam, P O Box 10900, 3004 BA Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Nutr Metab 2012:394623. 2012..Metformin most likely decreases plasma FFAs mainly by suppressing fasting FFA concentrations and not by suppression of acute stress-induced lipolysis...
- Diurnal triglyceridemia in relation to alcohol intake in menAna Torres do Rego
Department of Internal Medicine, Center for Diabetes and Vascular Medicine, St Franciscus Gasthuis, P O Box 10900, Rotterdam 3004 BA, The Netherlands
Nutrients 5:5114-26. 2013..05). In males, low alcohol intake was associated with decreased diurnal triglyceridemia, whereas moderate and high alcohol intake was associated with increased triglycerides after dinner and at bed time. ..
- Dyslipidemia in obesity: mechanisms and potential targetsBoudewijn Klop
Department of Internal Medicine, Diabetes and Vascular Centre, Sint Franciscus Gasthuis, Rotterdam, P O Box 10900, 3004 BA, The Netherlands
Nutrients 5:1218-40. 2013..The current review will focus on these aspects of lipid metabolism in obesity and potential interventions to treat the obesity related dyslipidemia...
- A physician's guide for the management of hypertriglyceridemia: the etiology of hypertriglyceridemia determines treatment strategyB Klop
Department of Internal Medicine, Diabetes and Vascular Center, Sint Franciscus Gasthuis Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Panminerva Med 54:91-103. 2012..Finally, family screening is mandatory to detect familial lipid disorders for early intervention in other family members...
- Effects of a stanol-enriched diet on plasma cholesterol and triglycerides in patients treated with statinsManuel Castro Cabezas
St Franciscus Gasthuis Rotterdam, Department of Internal Medicine, University Medical Center Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Am Diet Assoc 106:1564-9. 2006..It is unclear whether plant stanols in combination with dietary guidance in patients already using optimal doses of statins will further reduce fasting and postprandial lipids compared with standard care...
- Erythrocyte-bound apolipoprotein B in relation to atherosclerosis, serum lipids and ABO blood groupBoudewijn Klop
Department of Internal Medicine, Diabetes and Vascular Center, Sint Franciscus Gasthuis, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 8:e75573. 2013..We aimed to explore the determinants of ery-apoB to gain more insight into potential mechanisms...
- Differential effects of rosiglitazone and metformin on postprandial lipemia in patients with HIV-lipodystrophyJeroen P H van Wijk
Department of Internal Medicine, St Franciscus Gasthuis Rotterdam, 3004 BA Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 31:228-33. 2011..To compare the effects of rosiglitazone (8 mg/d, n=19) and metformin (2 g/d, n=18) on postprandial lipemia in patients with HIV-lipodystrophy...
- Glucose-dependent leukocyte activation in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus, familial combined hyperlipidemia and healthy controlsMarijke A de Vries
Department of Internal Medicine, Center for Diabetes and Cardiovascular Risk Management, Sint Franciscus Gasthuis, Rotterdam, The Netherlands Electronic address
Metabolism 64:213-7. 2015..Hyperglycemia may be involved in this leukocyte activation. Our aim was to investigate the role of elevated glucose concentrations on leukocyte activation in patients with a wide range of insulin sensitivity...
- Alcohol and plasma triglyceridesBoudewijn Klop
Department of Internal Medicine, Sint Franciscus Gasthuis Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Curr Opin Lipidol 24:321-6. 2013..This study reviews recent developments concerning the effects of alcohol on plasma triglycerides. The focus will be on population, intervention and metabolic studies with respect to alcohol and plasma triglycerides...
- Systemic inflammation and lung function impairment in morbidly obese subjects with the metabolic syndromeAstrid van Huisstede
Department of Pulmonology, Sint Franciscus Gasthuis, Kleiweg 500, 3045 PM Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Obes 2013:131349. 2013..Hypothesis. Low-grade systemic inflammation associated with the metabolic syndrome causes inflammation in the lungs and, hence, lung function impairment...
- [Cholesterol homeostasis and enterohepatic connection: new insights in cholesterol absorption]Boudewijn Klop
Sint Franciscus Gasthuis, afd Interne Geneeskunde, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 155:A2503. 2011..When the effect of statins is insufficient or they cause too many side-effects, additional inhibition of intestinal cholesterol absorption is indicated...
- Exploring the value of apoB48 as a marker for atherosclerosis in clinical practiceArash Alipour
Department of Internal Medicine, Center for Diabetes and Vascular Medicine, St Franciscus Gasthuis, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Clin Invest 42:702-8. 2012..Scarce data are available on fasting plasma apolipoprotein (apo) B48 levels in relation to these conditions and atherosclerosis...
- MTP gene polymorphisms and postprandial lipemia in familial combined hyperlipidemia: effects of treatment with atorvastatinBoudewijn Klop
Department of Internal Medicine, Sint Franciscus Gasthuis, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Investig Arterioscler 26:49-57. 2014..We studied the effect of the functional MTP-493G/T polymorphism on fasting and postprandial lipoproteins in patients with familial combined hyperlipidemia (FCH) before and after treatment with atorvastatin...
- Mannose binding lectin 2 haplotypes do not affect the progression of coronary atherosclerosis in men with proven coronary artery disease treated with pravastatinArash Alipour
Department of Internal Medicine, St Franciscus Gasthuis Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Atherosclerosis 215:125-9. 2011..We evaluated whether the rate of angiographic progression of coronary atherosclerosis during pravastatin treatment was associated with MBL2 haplotypes in REGRESS, a placebo-controlled 2 years intervention study...
- Rosiglitazone modulates fasting and post-prandial paraoxonase 1 activity in type 2 diabetic patientsJeroen van Wijk
Department of Internal Medicine, University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 33:1134-7. 2006..59; P < 0.01) and peroxides (r = -0.40; P = 0.07). 4. The present data indicate that rosiglitazone may convey increased protection against the oxidative modification that represents increased post-prandial lipaemia...
- Normal ranges of non-fasting triglycerides in healthy Dutch males and femalesJeroen P H van Wijk
Department of Vascular Medicine G02 405, University Medical Center, PO Box 85500, 3508 GA, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Clin Chim Acta 337:49-57. 2003..Increased triglycerides (TG) are associated with atherosclerosis. We determined free-living non-fasting TG concentrations in healthy Dutch subjects...
- Addition of glucose to an oral fat load reduces postprandial free fatty acids and prevents the postprandial increase in complement component 3Antonie J van Oostrom
Department of Vascular Medicine, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, Netherlands
Am J Clin Nutr 79:510-5. 2004..C3 is the central component of the complement system and the precursor of acylation-stimulating protein (ASP). Insulin and ASP are principal determinants of free fatty acid (FFA) trapping by adipose tissue...
- Rosiglitazone improves postprandial triglyceride and free fatty acid metabolism in type 2 diabetesJeroen P H van Wijk
Department of Internal Medicine, University Medical Center Utrecht, Room G02 402, P O Box 85500, 3508 GA Utrecht, The Netherlands
Diabetes Care 28:844-9. 2005..We investigated the effects of the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma agonist rosiglitazone on postprandial lipemia in patients with type 2 diabetes...
- Lower birth weight predicts metabolic syndrome in young adults: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Young Adults (ARYA)-studyMade K Ramadhani
Julius Center for Health Sciences and Primary Care, University Medical Center Utrecht, P O Box 85500, 3508 GA Utrecht, The Netherlands
Atherosclerosis 184:21-7. 2006..To study the relationship between intrauterine growth and the metabolic syndrome, particularly fasting serum lipids in young adulthood...
- Effects of rosiglitazone and metformin on postprandial paraoxonase-1 and monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 in human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients with lipodystrophyBlai Coll
Servei de Medicina Interna and Centre de Recerca Biomèdica, Hospital Universitari, de Sant Joan, Reus, Spain
Eur J Pharmacol 544:104-10. 2006..To decrease insulin resistance results in a higher anti-oxidant and consequent lower pro-inflammatory action of HDL. This may confer protection against accelerated atherosclerosis in these patients...
- Newly identified apolipoprotein AV gene predisposes to high plasma triglycerides in familial combined hyperlipidemiaJosep Ribalta
Unitat de Recerca de Lipids i Arteriosclerosi, Institut de Recerca en Ciències de la Salut, Hospital Universitari de Sant Joan, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Sant Llorenc 21, 43201 Reus, Spain
Clin Chem 48:1597-600. 2002