R A Schoevers
Country: The Netherlands
- Risk factors for depression in later life; results of a prospective community based study (AMSTEL)R A Schoevers
Department of Psychiatry, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Valeriusplein 9, 1075 BG, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Affect Disord 59:127-37. 2000..The current prospective study tests an etiologic model for depression incidence, by assessing modifying effects of three types of vulnerability: genetic/familial vulnerability, organic vulnerability, and environmental vulnerability...
- Association of depression and gender with mortality in old age. Results from the Amsterdam Study of the Elderly (AMSTEL)R A Schoevers
Department of Psychiatry, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Valeriusplein 9, 1075 BG Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Br J Psychiatry 177:336-42. 2000..The association between depression and increased mortality risk in older persons may depend on the severity of the depressive disorder and gender...
- Depression and cardiac mortality: results from a community-based longitudinal studyB W Penninx
Institute for Research in Extramural Medicine, Vrije University, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Arch Gen Psychiatry 58:221-7. 2001..This study examined and compared the effect of depression on cardiac mortality in community-dwelling persons with and without cardiac disease...
- Emergence and persistence of late life depression: a 3-year follow-up of the Longitudinal Aging Study AmsterdamA T Beekman
Department of Psychiatry of the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Valerius Clinic, Valeriusplein 9, 1075 BG Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Affect Disord 65:131-8. 2001..It is speculated that including more biological correlates of depression and data concerning positive life-changes may improve our understanding of the prognosis of late life depression...
- Depression and risk of cognitive decline and Alzheimer's disease. Results of two prospective community-based studies in The NetherlandsM I Geerlings
Institute for Research in Extramural Medicine, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Br J Psychiatry 176:568-75. 2000..Depression may be associated with cognitive decline in elderly people with impaired cognition...
- Comorbidity and risk-patterns of depression, generalised anxiety disorder and mixed anxiety-depression in later life: results from the AMSTEL studyR A Schoevers
Department of Psychiatry, VU University Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 18:994-1001. 2003..Research is needed that investigates patterns of comorbidity and possibly different risk profiles for pure depression, pure generalised anxiety and mixed anxiety-depression in older people...
- Increased risk of mortality associated with social isolation in older men: only when feeling lonely? Results from the Amsterdam Study of the Elderly (AMSTEL)T J Holwerda
Department of Psychiatry, ARKIN Institute of Mental Health Care, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Psychol Med 42:843-53. 2012..The current study investigated whether social isolation and feelings of loneliness in older men and women were associated with increased mortality risk, controlling for depression and other potentially confounding factors...
- Depression and excess mortality: evidence for a dose response relation in community living elderlyR A Schoevers
VU University Medical Center, Department of Psychiatry, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 24:169-76. 2009..Depression is associated with an increased mortality risk. It is not known to what extent depression characteristics such as severity and length of exposure to depression contribute to the association with excess mortality...
- The association between immune activation and manic symptoms in patients with a depressive disorderK Becking
Interdisciplinary Center of Psychopathology and Emotion Regulation ICPE University Center Psychiatry UCP, Department of Psychiatry, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Transl Psychiatry 3:e314. 2013..Further research should explore whether a treatment approach focusing on inflammatory processes may be more effective in this specific subgroup of depressed patients. ..
- Physician-assisted suicide in psychiatry: developments in The NetherlandsR A Schoevers
Department of Psychiatry, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Psychiatr Serv 49:1475-80. 1998..Because the general public will continue to ask for clarity on the issue of euthanasia and physician-assisted suicide, the authors believe that an open discussion of both ethical and professional issues is the best option...
- The natural history of late-life depression: results from the Amsterdam Study of the Elderly (AMSTEL)R A Schoevers
Department of Psychiatry, VU University Medical Centre, LASA AMSTEL, Faculteit GNK, Van der Boechorststraat 7, 1081 BT, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Affect Disord 76:5-14. 2003..This study examines whether risk factors related to incidence of depression are also related to prognosis, and whether a vulnerability-stress model can be established for prognosis...