Affiliation: National Institute for Public Health and the Environment
Country: The Netherlands
- van Duijvendijk G, Coipan C, Wagemakers A, Fonville M, ErsÃ¶z J, Oei A, et al. Larvae of Ixodes ricinus transmit Borrelia afzelii and B. miyamotoi to vertebrate hosts. Parasit Vectors. 2016;9:97 pubmed publisher..As a result, B. afzelii can cycle between larvae through rodents. Our findings further imply that larval bites on humans, which easily go unnoticed, can cause Lyme borreliosis and Borrelia miyamotoi disease. ..
- van Duijvendijk G, Sprong H, Takken W. Multi-trophic interactions driving the transmission cycle of Borrelia afzelii between Ixodes ricinus and rodents: a review. Parasit Vectors. 2015;8:643 pubmed publisher..Better understanding of the processes involved in the development and aggregation of ticks results in more precise estimates of the density of infected nymphs, and hence predictions of Lyme borreliosis risk. ..
- Sprong H, Caccio S, van der Giessen J. Identification of zoonotic genotypes of Giardia duodenalis. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2009;3:e558 pubmed publisher..duodenalis is evident, evidence on the contribution and frequency is (still) lacking. This newly developed molecular database has the potential to tackle intricate epidemiological questions concerning protozoan diseases...
- Wagemakers A, Jahfari S, De Wever B, Spanjaard L, Starink M, de Vries H, et al. Borrelia miyamotoi in vectors and hosts in The Netherlands. Ticks Tick Borne Dis. 2017;8:370-374 pubmed publisher..A prospective study focused on acute febrile illness after a tick bite could provide insight into the incidence and clinical manifestations of B. miyamotoi infection in The Netherlands. ..
- Jahfari S, Sarksyan D, Kolyasnikova N, Hovius J, Sprong H, Platonov A. Evaluation of a serological test for the diagnosis of Borrelia miyamotoi disease in Europe. J Microbiol Methods. 2017;136:11-16 pubmed publisher..miyamotoi infection in 44% to 94% of the PCR-positive BMD patients (95% confidence interval). Thus, sensitive serological assays should not solely rely on rGlpQ, to support the diagnosis of acute BMD. ..
- Jahfari S, Ruyts S, Frazer Mendelewska E, Jaarsma R, Verheyen K, Sprong H. Melting pot of tick-borne zoonoses: the European hedgehog contributes to the maintenance of various tick-borne diseases in natural cycles urban and suburban areas. Parasit Vectors. 2017;10:134 pubmed publisher..The extent to which hedgehogs can independently maintain these agents in natural cycles, and the role of other hosts (rodents and birds) remain to be investigated. ..
- Estrada PeÃ±a A, D Amico G, Palomar A, Dupraz M, Fonville M, Heylen D, et al. A comparative test of ixodid tick identification by a network of European researchers. Ticks Tick Borne Dis. 2017;8:540-546 pubmed publisher..Results also showed that a combination of certain genes may adequately identify the target species of ticks. ..
- Ruyts S, Tack W, Ampoorter E, Coipan E, Matthysen E, Heylen D, et al. Year-to-year variation in the density of Ixodes ricinus ticks and the prevalence of the rodent-associated human pathogens Borrelia afzelii and B. miyamotoi in different forest types. Ticks Tick Borne Dis. 2018;9:141-145 pubmed publisher..The risk for rodent-associated tick-borne diseases also varied between forest types. We stress the need to elucidate the contribution of the host community composition to tick-borne disease risk. ..
- Sprong H, Tijsse Klasen E, Langelaar M, de Bruin A, Fonville M, Gassner F, et al. Prevalence of Coxiella burnetii in ticks after a large outbreak of Q fever. Zoonoses Public Health. 2012;59:69-75 pubmed publisher..burnetii infected goat farms and to assess whether C. burnetii can be transmitted transovarially and transstadially in I. ricinus ticks...