R A Schoevers
Affiliation: Mentrum Mental Health Organization
Country: The Netherlands
- Psychiatric disorders and urbanization in GermanyJack Dekker
JellinekMentrum Mental Health Institute, Klaprozenweg 111, P, O, Box 75848, 1070 AV Amsterdam, The Netherlands
BMC Public Health 8:17. 2008....
- Treatment of chronically depressed patients: a multisite randomized controlled trial testing the effectiveness of 'Cognitive Behavioral Analysis System of Psychotherapy' (CBASP) for chronic depressions versus usual secondary careJenneke E Wiersma
Department of Psychiatry and Institute for Research in Extramural Medicine, VU University Medical Center and Academic Outpatient Clinic for Affective Disorders, Stichting GGZBuitenamstel de Geestgronden, The Netherlands
BMC Psychiatry 8:18. 2008..However, no other studies have as yet replicated these findings and CBASP has not been tested outside the United States. This protocol describes a randomized controlled trial on the effectiveness of CBASP in the Netherlands...
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy versus Short Psychodynamic Supportive Psychotherapy in the outpatient treatment of depression: a randomized controlled trialEllen Driessen
Depression Research Group, JellinekMentrum Mental Health Care, Overschiestraat 65, 1062 XD Amsterdam, The Netherlands
BMC Psychiatry 7:58. 2007..This article outlines the study protocol. The results of the study, which is being currently carried out, will be presented as soon as they are available...
- The Amsterdam Studies of Acute Psychiatry I (ASAP-I); a prospective cohort study of determinants and outcome of coercive versus voluntary treatment interventions in a metropolitan areaLouk van der Post
JellinekMentrum Mental Health Care, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
BMC Psychiatry 8:35. 2008....
- Prevention of late-life depression in primary care: do we know where to begin?Robert A Schoevers
Mentrum Mental Health Care, 2e Constantijn Huijgensstraat 37, 1054 AG Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Am J Psychiatry 163:1611-21. 2006..This study attempted to compare two models for selective (people at elevated risk) and indicated (those with subsyndromal depressive symptoms) prevention and to determine the optimal strategy for prevention of late-life depression...
- Depression and excess mortality: evidence for a dose response relation in community living elderlyR A Schoevers
VU University Medical Center, Department of Psychiatry, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 24:169-76. 2009..Depression is associated with an increased mortality risk. It is not known to what extent depression characteristics such as severity and length of exposure to depression contribute to the association with excess mortality...
- Managing the patient with co-morbid depression and an anxiety disorderRobert A Schoevers
JellinekMentrum Mental Health Care Amsterdam, Amsterdam, the NetherlandsDepartment of Psychiatry, Medical Center, VU University, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Drugs 68:1621-34. 2008..The results should be interpreted with caution because the number of studies on this issue was relatively small, with considerable clinical and methodological heterogeneity...
- Depression and generalized anxiety disorder: co-occurrence and longitudinal patterns in elderly patientsRobert A Schoevers
Department of Psychiatry, VU University Medical Center, AmsterdamMentrum GGZ, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 13:31-9. 2005..The authors sought to establish the natural course and risk-profile of depression, generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), and depression with co-existing GAD in later life...
- [Explanations for the relation between depression and increased mortality]R A Schoevers
VU Medisch Centrum, afd Psychiatrie, Amsterdam
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 148:1133-7. 2004....
- Comorbidity and risk-patterns of depression, generalised anxiety disorder and mixed anxiety-depression in later life: results from the AMSTEL studyR A Schoevers
Department of Psychiatry, VU University Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 18:994-1001. 2003..Research is needed that investigates patterns of comorbidity and possibly different risk profiles for pure depression, pure generalised anxiety and mixed anxiety-depression in older people...
- Risk factors for depression in later life; results of a prospective community based study (AMSTEL)R A Schoevers
Department of Psychiatry, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Valeriusplein 9, 1075 BG, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Affect Disord 59:127-37. 2000..The current prospective study tests an etiologic model for depression incidence, by assessing modifying effects of three types of vulnerability: genetic/familial vulnerability, organic vulnerability, and environmental vulnerability...
- Association of depression and gender with mortality in old age. Results from the Amsterdam Study of the Elderly (AMSTEL)R A Schoevers
Department of Psychiatry, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Valeriusplein 9, 1075 BG Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Br J Psychiatry 177:336-42. 2000..The association between depression and increased mortality risk in older persons may depend on the severity of the depressive disorder and gender...
- Depression and cardiac mortality: results from a community-based longitudinal studyB W Penninx
Institute for Research in Extramural Medicine, Vrije University, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Arch Gen Psychiatry 58:221-7. 2001..This study examined and compared the effect of depression on cardiac mortality in community-dwelling persons with and without cardiac disease...
- Depression and risk of cognitive decline and Alzheimer's disease. Results of two prospective community-based studies in The NetherlandsM I Geerlings
Institute for Research in Extramural Medicine, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Br J Psychiatry 176:568-75. 2000..Depression may be associated with cognitive decline in elderly people with impaired cognition...
- Increased risk of mortality associated with social isolation in older men: only when feeling lonely? Results from the Amsterdam Study of the Elderly (AMSTEL)T J Holwerda
Department of Psychiatry, ARKIN Institute of Mental Health Care, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Psychol Med 42:843-53. 2012..The current study investigated whether social isolation and feelings of loneliness in older men and women were associated with increased mortality risk, controlling for depression and other potentially confounding factors...
- The natural history of late-life depression: results from the Amsterdam Study of the Elderly (AMSTEL)R A Schoevers
Department of Psychiatry, VU University Medical Centre, LASA AMSTEL, Faculteit GNK, Van der Boechorststraat 7, 1081 BT, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Affect Disord 76:5-14. 2003..This study examines whether risk factors related to incidence of depression are also related to prognosis, and whether a vulnerability-stress model can be established for prognosis...
- Depression in older age is a risk factor for first ischemic cardiac eventsMarijke A Bremmer
Department of Psychiatry, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 14:523-30. 2006..The authors hypothesized that the cardiac morbidity and mortality after depression in late life is mediated by subclinical atherosclerosis and is thus confined to ischemic heart diseases...
- The association between immune activation and manic symptoms in patients with a depressive disorderK Becking
Interdisciplinary Center of Psychopathology and Emotion Regulation ICPE University Center Psychiatry UCP, Department of Psychiatry, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Transl Psychiatry 3:e314. 2013..Further research should explore whether a treatment approach focusing on inflammatory processes may be more effective in this specific subgroup of depressed patients. ..
- Speed of action: the relative efficacy of short psychodynamic supportive psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy in the first 8 weeks of a treatment algorithm for depressionJ J M Dekker
Clinical Psychology, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Affect Disord 109:183-8. 2008..To examine the efficacy and speed of action of short-term psychodynamic supportive psychotherapy (SPSP) in comparison to pharmacotherapy (PhT) in the acute treatment of depression...
- [The prevention of psychiatric disorders]A T F Beekman
VU Medisch Centrum, Amsterdam
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 150:419-23. 2006..The efficacy of universal prevention has not been investigated. There are still insufficient data to develop evidence-based guidelines for the prevention of psychiatric disorders...
- Physician-assisted suicide in psychiatry: developments in The NetherlandsR A Schoevers
Department of Psychiatry, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Psychiatr Serv 49:1475-80. 1998..Because the general public will continue to ask for clarity on the issue of euthanasia and physician-assisted suicide, the authors believe that an open discussion of both ethical and professional issues is the best option...
- [Heritability and environment in psychiatric disorders]M Swets
Arkin GGZ, Amsterdam
Tijdschr Psychiatr 51:651-63. 2009..In recent years quantitative genetic research has addressed all the major psychiatric disorders. In order to interpret the results of this type of research one needs to be aware of its potential and its limitations...
- Predictive value of object relations for therapeutic alliance and outcome in psychotherapy for depression: an exploratory studyHenricus L Van
Depression Research Group of Mentrum Mental Health Care Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Nerv Ment Dis 196:655-62. 2008..The study indicated the relevance of ORF for depression and established that it is distinctive from the actual therapeutic alliance...
- Predicting the outcome of antidepressants and psychotherapy for depression: a qualitative, systematic reviewHenricus L Van
Depression Research Group, Mentrum Mental Health Care, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Harv Rev Psychiatry 16:225-34. 2008..In none of the treatment modalities was recurrence a negative predictor. The relation between severity of depression and outcome appeared to be complex, precluding any straightforward inferences...
- Gender differences in clinical features of depressed outpatients: preliminary evidence for subtyping of depression?Jack Dekker
Mentrum Depression Research Group, JellinekMentrum Mental Health Institute, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Women Health 46:19-38. 2007..Gender differences in depression are usually associated with prevalence, severity, and sometimes with specific syndromes or subtypes. However, a lack of differentiation exists between these factors...
- The relationship between generalized anxiety disorder, depression and mortality in old ageTjalling J Holwerda
Department of Psychiatry, Mentrum Mental Health Care, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 22:241-9. 2007..However, little is known about the relation between generalized anxiety disorder, mixed anxiety-depression (generalized anxiety disorder and depression) and excess mortality in the elderly...
- Does adding psychotherapy to pharmacotherapy improve social functioning in the treatment of outpatient depression?Pieter J Molenaar
Mentrum Mental Health Organization, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Depress Anxiety 24:553-62. 2007..There was a moderate advantage of the CoT condition on both depressive symptoms and level of social functioning in comparison with PhT. We also found a positive association between depression severity and level of social functioning...
- Does early response predict outcome in psychotherapy and combined therapy for major depression?Henricus L Van
Depression Research Group of Mentrum Health Care Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Affect Disord 105:261-5. 2008..To examine the predictive value of early response for final outcome of psychotherapy and combined therapy in major depression...
- Is the prevalence of psychiatric disorders associated with urbanization?Jaap Peen
JellinekMentrum Mental Health Institute Amsterdam, P O Box 75848, 1070 AV, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 42:984-9. 2007..Moreover, urban preponderance suggests that the allocation of funds and services should take urbanization levels into account...
- Identifying patients at risk of complete nonresponse in the outpatient treatment of depressionHenricus L Van
Depression Research Group, Mentrum Mental Health Care, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Psychother Psychosom 77:358-64. 2008..The objective of this preliminary study was to determine the frequency and predictors of complete nonresponse in different treatments for depression...
- Increased mortality in depressive disorders: a reviewPim Cuijpers
Department of Clinical Psychology, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, Van der Boechorststraat, The Netherlands
Curr Psychiatry Rep 6:430-7. 2004..We will summarize the evidence supporting these mechanisms, and propose options for possible interventions aimed at reducing the increased risk of dying...
- Risk factors for anxiety and depression in the elderly: a reviewDagmar Vink
Knowledge Centre of Psychiatry in the Elderly, Oude Arnhemseweg 260, 3705 BK Zeist, The Netherlands
J Affect Disord 106:29-44. 2008..This paper gives a comprehensive overview and compares risk factors associated with anxiety and depression in the elderly...
- Clinically defined vascular depression in the general populationPaul Naarding
Spatie, Centre for Mental Health, Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Psychol Med 37:383-92. 2007..It could have major implications for treatment if subjects at risk for such a depression could be easily identified by their clinical presentation in general practice...
- Relative efficacy of psychotherapy and combined therapy in the treatment of depression: a meta-analysisSaskia M de Maat
Mentrum Mental Health Institute Amsterdam, Klaprozenweg 111, P O Box 75848, 1070 AV Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Eur Psychiatry 22:1-8. 2007..Reviews of the relative efficacy of psychotherapy and combined therapy (psychotherapy with pharmacotherapy) for depression have yielded contradicting conclusions. This may be explained by the clinical heterogeneity of the studies reviewed...
- A study on symptom profiles of late-life depression: the influence of vascular, degenerative and inflammatory risk-indicatorsPaul Naarding
Spatie, Center for Mental Health, PO Box 926, 7300 BD Apeldoorn and Department of Psychiatry, University Medical Center St Radboud, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Affect Disord 88:155-62. 2005....