Thushan I de Silva
Affiliation: Medical Research Council Laboratories
Country: The Gambia
- HIV-1 subtype distribution in the Gambia and the significant presence of CRF49_cpx, a novel circulating recombinant formThushan I de Silva
Medical Research Council UK Laboratories, Atlantic Road, Fajara, The Gambia
Retrovirology 7:82. 2010..Detailed local HIV-1 sequence data are essential for monitoring the HIV epidemic, for maintaining sensitive sequence-based diagnostics, and to aid in designing vaccines...
- Emergence of HBV resistance to lamivudine (3TC) in HIV/HBV co-infected patients in The Gambia, West AfricaBalint Stewart
Medical Research Council, Fajara, P O Box 273, Banjul, The Gambia, West Africa
BMC Res Notes 4:561. 2011..abstract:..
- HIV-2: the forgotten AIDS virusThushan I de Silva
Medical Research Council Laboratories, Atlantic Road, PO Box 273, Fajara, The Gambia, West Africa
Trends Microbiol 16:588-95. 2008..Studies to date have suggested that both enhanced immune responses and lower viral replication could play a role. We summarize the important findings to date and highlight areas that warrant further exploration...
- Population dynamics of HIV-2 in rural West Africa: comparison with HIV-1 and ongoing transmission at the heart of the epidemicThushan I de Silva
Medical Research Council UK Laboratories, Fajara, The Gambia
AIDS 27:125-34. 2013..To compare the population dynamics of HIV-2 and HIV-1, and to characterize ongoing HIV-2 transmission in rural Guinea-Bissau...
- Molecular epidemiology of endemic human T-lymphotropic virus type 1 in a rural community in Guinea-BissauCarla van Tienen
Virology, Medical Research Council, Fajara, The Gambia
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 6:e1690. 2012..It is not known which HTLV-1 variants are present in this community. Sequence data can provide insights in the molecular epidemiology and help to understand the origin and spread of HTLV-1...
- Potent autologous and heterologous neutralizing antibody responses occur in HIV-2 infection across a broad range of infection outcomesThushan I de Silva
Medical Research Council United Kingdom Laboratories, Fajara, The Gambia
J Virol 86:930-46. 2012....
- Correlates of T-cell-mediated viral control and phenotype of CD8(+) T cells in HIV-2, a naturally contained human retroviral infectionThushan I de Silva
Medical Research Council United Kingdom Laboratories The Gambia, Fajara, The Gambia, West Africa
Blood 121:4330-9. 2013..These data reveal the potential T-cell correlates of HIV-2 control and the detailed phenotype of virus-specific CD8(+) T cells in a naturally contained retroviral infection...
- Antiretroviral Therapy for HIV-2 Infection: Recommendations for Management in Low-Resource SettingsKevin Peterson
Medical Research Council UK Laboratories, Atlantic Road, P O Box 273, Fajara, Gambia
AIDS Res Treat 2011:463704. 2011..Following review of the available evidence and taking the structure and challenges of antiretroviral care in West Africa into consideration, the authors make recommendations and highlight the needs of special populations...