Affiliation: Maastricht University
Country: The Netherlands
- Chlamydia pneumoniae serology is associated with thrombosis-related but not with plaque-related microembolization during carotid endarterectomyTryfon Vainas
Department of Surgery, Maastricht University Hospital and Cardiovascular Research Institute of Maastricht, Maastricht, Netherlands
Stroke 33:1249-54. 2002....
- Serum C-reactive protein level is associated with abdominal aortic aneurysm size and may be produced by aneurysmal tissueTryfon Vainas
Department of Surgery, University Hospital of Maastricht and Cardiovascular Research Institute of Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Circulation 107:1103-5. 2003..Therefore, we evaluated a possible association between serum CRP and aneurysm dimension in patients with asymptomatic AAA. Furthermore, the possibility of CRP production by aneurysmal tissue has been examined...
- Chlamydia pneumoniae serology: comparing a commercial enzyme immunoassay and microimmunofluorescence test in patients with cardiovascular diseaseTryfon Vainas
Departments of Surgery, and Medical Microbiology, Maastricht University Hospital and Cardiovascular Research Institute of Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands
APMIS 111:363-9. 2003..Therefore, the EIA is a practical alternative to the MIF in the detection of C. pneumoniae antibodies in patients with cardiovascular disease, bearing in mind that the sensitivity of the EIA depends on the antibody titer...
- Synergistic effect of Toll-like receptor 4 and CD14 polymorphisms on the total atherosclerosis burden in patients with peripheral arterial diseaseTryfon Vainas
Department of Surgery, Maastricht University Hospital, Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Vasc Surg 44:326-32. 2006....
- Secondary prevention of atherosclerosis through chlamydia pneumoniae eradication (SPACE Trial): a randomised clinical trial in patients with peripheral arterial diseaseT Vainas
Department of Surgery, Maastricht University Hospital, PO Box 5800, 6202 AZ Maastricht, The Netherlands
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 29:403-11. 2005..Our aim was to study the effect of a short course of azithromycin on the incidence of cardiovascular events and peripheral vascular function in patients with stable peripheral arterial disease (PAD)...
- C-reactive protein in peripheral arterial disease: relation to severity of the disease and to future cardiovascular eventsTryfon Vainas
Dept of Surgery, Maastricht University Hospital, Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Vasc Surg 42:243-51. 2005..Hypothesizing that CRP not only is a marker of but also actively participates in atherogenesis, we explored the possibility of CRP production by femoral atherosclerotic plaques...
- Infection and atherosclerosis. An alternative view on an outdated hypothesisFrank R Stassen
Department of Medical Microbiology and Maastricht Infection Center, Cardiovascular Research Institute Maastricht, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Pharmacol Rep 60:85-92. 2008....
- Does glutamine-enriched parenteral nutrition really affect intestinal morphology and gut permeability?Karel W E Hulsewé
Department of General Surgery, University Hospital Maastricht, The Netherlands
Clin Nutr 23:1217-25. 2004..Nutritional depletion has been related to low glutamine levels in plasma and gut mucosa. This study was set up to investigate the effects of glutamine-enriched total parenteral nutrition on intestinal morphology and permeability...
- Spatio-temporal curvature pattern of the caudal body axis for non-mutant and curly tail mouse embryos during the period of caudal neural tube closureM C Peeters
Department of Anatomy and Embryology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Limburg, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Anat Embryol (Berl) 195:259-66. 1997..The aberrant spatio-temporal curvature pattern in the curly tail mouse embryo indicates that both the rate of curvature and the axial level of unbending are important for a correct PNP closure...
- Exploring the role of Chlamydia pneumoniae in cardiovascular disease: a narrative reviewT Vainas
Department of Surgery, Catharina Hospital, Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Drugs Today (Barc) 45:165-72. 2009..The present narrative review evaluates the role of C. pneumoniae infections in the development of cardiovascular disease...
- Detection of cell-cycle regulators in failed arteriovenous fistulas for haemodialysisRick de Graaf
Department of Surgery, University Hospital Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Nephrol Dial Transplant 18:814-8. 2003..037). CONCLUSIONS: The data suggest that in failed AVFs, p21(Waf1), but not p27(Kip1), is related to intimal hyperplasia. This is the first report to show involvement of cell-cycle regulators in AVF-related human intimal hyperplasia...
- Systemic dilation diathesis in patients with abdominal aortic aneurysms: a role for matrix metalloproteinase-9?L W van Laake
Department of Surgery, University Hospital Maastricht, 6202 AZ Maastricht, The Netherlands
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 29:371-7. 2005..These data support the idea that AAA patients exhibit a systemic dilation diathesis, which might be attributable to MMP/TIMP imbalances...