Genomes and Genes
L J Schurgers
Affiliation: Maastricht University
Country: The Netherlands
- Role of vitamin K and vitamin K-dependent proteins in vascular calcificationL J Schurgers
Department of Biochemistry, Maastricht University, P.O. Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
Z Kardiol 90:57-63. 2001..The hypothesis is put forward that undercarboxylation of MGP is a risk factor for vascular calcification and that the present RDA values are too low to ensure full carboxylation of MGP...
- Vitamin K-containing dietary supplements: comparison of synthetic vitamin K1 and natto-derived menaquinone-7Leon J Schurgers
VitaK and Cardiovascular Research Institute Maastricht, University of Maastricht, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
Blood 109:3279-83. 2007..MK-7 induced more complete carboxylation of osteocalcin, and hematologists should be aware that preparations supplying 50 mug/d or more of MK-7 may interfere with oral anticoagulant treatment in a clinically relevant way...
- Uncarboxylated matrix Gla protein (ucMGP) is associated with coronary artery calcification in haemodialysis patientsEllen C M Cranenburg
Department of Biochemistry, Maastricht University, PO Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
Thromb Haemost 101:359-66. 2009..Since circulating ucMGP levels are significantly and inversely correlated with the extent of CAC in HD patients, ucMGP may become a tool for identifying HD patients with a high probability of cardiovascular calcification...
- Matrix gla protein (MGP): an overexpressed and migration-promoting mesenchymal component in glioblastomaSonja Mertsch
Institute of Neuropathology, University Hospital Munster, Munster, Germany
BMC Cancer 9:302. 2009....
- Regression of warfarin-induced medial elastocalcinosis by high intake of vitamin K in ratsLeon J Schurgers
Cardiovascular Research Institute CARIM, Maastricht University, The Netherlands
Blood 109:2823-31. 2007..Using MGP antibodies, local VK deficiency was demonstrated at sites of calcification. This is the first study in rats demonstrating that AC and the resulting decreased arterial distensibility are reversible by high-VK intake...
- Matrix Gla-protein: the calcification inhibitor in need of vitamin KLeon J Schurgers
VitaK, Maastricht University, Universiteitssingel 50, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Thromb Haemost 100:593-603. 2008..These assays may have potential value for identifying patients as well as apparently healthy subjects at high risk for CVD and/or cardiovascular calcification and for monitoring the treatment of CVD and vascular calcification...
- Post-translational modifications regulate matrix Gla protein function: importance for inhibition of vascular smooth muscle cell calcificationL J Schurgers
Cardiovascular Research Institute Maastricht and VitaK, University of Maastricht, Universiteitssingel 50, Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Thromb Haemost 5:2503-11. 2007..In vivo, MGP has been shown to be a potent inhibitor of vascular calcification; however, the precise molecular mechanism underlying the function of MGP is not yet fully understood...
- Novel conformation-specific antibodies against matrix gamma-carboxyglutamic acid (Gla) protein: undercarboxylated matrix Gla protein as marker for vascular calcificationLeon J Schurgers
Cardiovascular Research Institute, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 25:1629-33. 2005..We hypothesized that low endogenous production of MGP and impaired carboxylation of MGP may contribute to the development or the progression of vascular disease...
- Oral anticoagulant treatment: friend or foe in cardiovascular disease?Leon J Schurgers
Department of Biochemistry, Cardiovascular Research Institute, University Maastricht, PO Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
Blood 104:3231-2. 2004..These observations suggest that OACs, which are widely used for antithrombotic therapy, may induce cardiovascular calcifications as an adverse side effect...
- Effect of vitamin K intake on the stability of oral anticoagulant treatment: dose-response relationships in healthy subjectsLeon J Schurgers
Cardiovascular Research Institute Maastricht and VitaK BV, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Blood 104:2682-9. 2004....
- Low serum and bone vitamin K status in patients with longstanding Crohn's disease: another pathogenetic factor of osteoporosis in Crohn's disease?E J Schoon
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University Hospital Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Gut 48:473-7. 2001..Vitamin K is a cofactor in the carboxylation of osteocalcin, a protein essential for calcium binding to bone. A high level of circulating uncarboxylated osteocalcin is a sensitive marker of vitamin K deficiency...
- Matrix Gla protein accumulates at the border of regions of calcification and normal tissue in the media of the arterial vessel wallH M Spronk
Department of Biochemistry, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 289:485-90. 2001..Our data demonstrate the close association between MGP and calcification. It is suggested that undercarboxylated MGP is biologically inactive and that poor vascular vitamin K status may form a risk factor for vascular calcification...
- Effect of low-dose supplements of menaquinone-7 (vitamin K2 ) on the stability of oral anticoagulant treatment: dose-response relationship in healthy volunteersE Theuwissen
VitaK and Cardiovascular Research Institute Maastricht, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Thromb Haemost 11:1085-92. 2013....
- Tissue-specific utilization of menaquinone-4 results in the prevention of arterial calcification in warfarin-treated ratsH M H Spronk
Department of Biochemistry, Cardiovascular Research Institute Maastricht, University of Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Vasc Res 40:531-7. 2003....
- Corn oil-induced decrease in arterial thrombosis tendency may be related to altered plasma vitamin K transportL J Schurgers
Department of Biochemistry and Cardiovascular Research Institute, Maastricht University, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Lipid Res 42:1120-4. 2001..It is concluded that corn oil may have a mildly anticoagulant effect, the potential benefit of which is discussed...
- Calcium scores and matrix Gla protein levels: association with vitamin K statusRoger J M W Rennenberg
Department of Internal Medicine, Maastricht University Medical Centre MUMC and Cardiovascular Research Institute Maastricht CARIM, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Eur J Clin Invest 40:344-9. 2010..We therefore hypothesized that arterial calcification and a low vitamin K status are associated with ucMGP. To that aim, we measured arterial calcium scores, the osteocalcin ratio (OCR), as a proxy for vitamin K status, and ucMGP...
- Chronic coumarin treatment is associated with increased extracoronary arterial calcification in humansRoger J M W Rennenberg
Department of Internal Medicine and Cardiovascular Research Institute Maastricht, Maastricht University Medical Centre, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Blood 115:5121-3. 2010..We conclude that long-term use of coumarins is associated with enhanced extracoronary vascular calcification, possibly through the inhibition of MGP carboxylation...
- Role of vitamin K-dependent proteins in the arterial vessel wallM L L Chatrou
Dept of Biochemistry, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Hamostaseologie 31:251-7. 2011..This review focuses on the effect of vitamin K-dependent proteins in vascular disease...
- Circulating matrix γ-carboxyglutamate protein (MGP) species are refractory to vitamin K treatment in a new case of Keutel syndromeE C M Cranenburg
VitaK and Cardiovascular Research Institute Maastricht, Maastricht University, Maastricht Department of Genetics, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
J Thromb Haemost 9:1225-35. 2011..The purpose of this study was (i) to investigate the phenotype and the underlying MGP mutation of a newly identified KS patient, and (ii) to investigate MGP species and the effect of vitamin K supplements in KS patients...
- The circulating inactive form of matrix Gla Protein (ucMGP) as a biomarker for cardiovascular calcificationEllen C M Cranenburg
VitaK, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Vasc Res 45:427-36. 2008..Here we report on the development of an ucMGP assay and the potential diagnostic utility of monitoring serum ucMGP levels...
- Menadione is a metabolite of oral vitamin KHenk H W Thijssen
Department of Pharmacology, Cardiovascular Research Institute Maastricht, University of Maastricht, PO Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
Br J Nutr 95:260-6. 2006..The observations make it likely that part of the menaquinone-4 in tissues results from uptake and prenylation of circulating menadione...
- Abnormal bone turnover in long-standing Crohn's disease in remissionE J Schoon
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University Hospital Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 15:783-92. 2001..A high prevalence of osteoporosis is found in patients with Crohn's disease. The pathogenesis of this condition seems to be multifactorial and its pathophysiology is still not completely understood...
- Undercarboxylated matrix GLA protein levels are decreased in dialysis patients and related to parameters of calcium-phosphate metabolism and aortic augmentation indexMarc M H Hermans
Department of Internal Medicine and Nephrology, Academic Hospital Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Blood Purif 25:395-401. 2007..Vascular calcifications are related to cardiovascular mortality and morbidity in dialysis patients. Limited data exist on the role of calcification inhibitors, such as matrix-carboxyglutamic acid protein (MGP) in dialysis patients...
- Vitamin K: the coagulation vitamin that became omnipotentEllen C M Cranenburg
Department of Biochemistry, University of Maastricht, P O Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
Thromb Haemost 98:120-5. 2007....
- Renal handling of matrix Gla-protein in humans with moderate to severe hypertensionRoger J M W Rennenberg
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Maastricht and Cardiovascular Research Institute Maastricht CARIM, P Debyelaan 25, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Hypertens Res 31:1745-51. 2008..In conclusion, we demonstrate that the kidney is able to extract matrix Gla-protein from the plasma at a constant level of 12.8%, independent of renal function in hypertensive subjects...
- Cell surface-expressed phosphatidylserine as therapeutic target to enhance phagocytosis of apoptotic cellsK Schutters
Department of Biochemistry, Cardiovascular Research Institute Maastricht, University of Maastricht, Maastricht 6200 MD, The Netherlands
Cell Death Differ 20:49-56. 2013..We conclude that targeting cell surface-expressed PS is an attractive strategy for treatment of inflammatory diseases and that the rationally designed RGD-anxA5 is a promising therapeutic agent...
- Potentiating role of Gas6 and Tyro3, Axl and Mer (TAM) receptors in human and murine platelet activation and thrombus stabilizationJ M E M Cosemans
Department of Biochemistry, Cardiovascular Research Institute Maastricht CARIM, Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Thromb Haemost 8:1797-808. 2010..Interaction of murine Gas6 with the platelet Gas6 receptors Tyro3, Axl and Mer (TAM) plays an important role in arterial thrombus formation. However, a role for Gas6 in human platelet activation has been questioned...
- Vitamin K2 supplementation improves hip bone geometry and bone strength indices in postmenopausal womenM H J Knapen
CARIM, University of Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Osteoporos Int 18:963-72. 2007..Results showed that K(2) improved BMC and femoral neck width, but not DXA-BMD. Hence high vitamin K(2) intake may contribute to preventing postmenopausal bone loss...
- Differential lipoprotein transport pathways of K-vitamins in healthy subjectsLeon J Schurgers
Department of Biochemistry and Cardiovascular Research Institute, Maastricht University, P O Box 616, 6200 MD, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Biochim Biophys Acta 1570:27-32. 2002..Moreover, the very long half-life time of MK-9 in the circulation indicates that it may form a more constant source of vitamin K than are either K1 or MK-4...
- Characteristics and performance of an immunosorbent assay for human matrix Gla-proteinLeon J Schurgers
VitaK and Department of Biochemistry, Maastricht University, The Netherlands
Clin Chim Acta 351:131-8. 2005..Promotor polymorphisms resulting in decreased expression levels were found to be associated with an increased risk for cardiovascular disease in humans...
- Differential cellular effects of old and new oral anticoagulants: consequences to the genesis and progression of atherosclerosisLeon J Schurgers
Leon J Schurgers, PhD, Department of Biochemistry, Maastricht University, P O Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands, Tel 31 433881681, Fax 31 433884159, E mail
Thromb Haemost 112:909-17. 2014..Although translation from animal model to clinical patients seems difficult at first sight, effort should be made to fully understand the clinical implications of long-term oral anticoagulant therapy on vascular side effects. ..
- Anticoagulant effect of dietary fish oil in hyperlipidemia: a study of hepatic gene expression in APOE2 knock-in miceKristof Vanschoonbeek
Department of Biochemistry, CARIM and NUTRIM, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 28:2023-9. 2008..Using APOE2 knock-in mice, the relation of these fish-oil effects with altered gene expression was investigated...
- Novel effects of diets enriched with corn oil or with an olive oil/sunflower oil mixture on vitamin K metabolism and vitamin K-dependent proteins in young menLeon J Schurgers
Department of Biochemistry and Cardiovascular Research Institute, Maastricht University, The Netherlands
J Lipid Res 43:878-84. 2002..The mechanism is unclear but may result from interactions of vitamin K with PUFA and/or other lipid components such as vitamin E...
- Human vascular smooth muscle cells undergo vesicle-mediated calcification in response to changes in extracellular calcium and phosphate concentrations: a potential mechanism for accelerated vascular calcification in ESRDJoanne L Reynolds
Department of Medicine, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, United Kingdom
J Am Soc Nephrol 15:2857-67. 2004..These vesicles contain mineralization inhibitors derived from VSMC and serum, and perturbation of the production or function of these inhibitors would lead to accelerated vascular calcification...
- Dietary intake of menaquinone is associated with a reduced risk of coronary heart disease: the Rotterdam StudyJohanna M Geleijnse
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Erasmus Medical Center Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Nutr 134:3100-5. 2004..71 (0.50, 1.00) and 0.48 (0.32, 0.71), respectively]. Phylloquinone intake was not related to any of the outcomes. These findings suggest that an adequate intake of menaquinone could be important for CHD prevention...
- Identification of differentially expressed genes in human varicose veins: involvement of matrix gla protein in extracellular matrix remodelingChrystelle Cario-Toumaniantz
INSERM, U533, Universite de Nantes, Faculte des Sciences et Techniques, l institut du thorax, Nantes, France
J Vasc Res 44:444-59. 2007..Further study of these genes will provide insights into their specific roles in the etiology of venous disease...
- Matrix Gla protein is involved in elastic fiber calcification in the dermis of pseudoxanthoma elasticum patientsDealba Gheduzzi
Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy
Lab Invest 87:998-1008. 2007..The lower ratio of Gla-MGP over Glu-MGP in pathological fibroblasts compared to controls suggests these cells may play an important role in the ectopic calcification in PXE...
- Pseudoxanthoma elasticum: reduced gamma-glutamyl carboxylation of matrix gla protein in a mouse model (Abcc6-/-)Qiaoli Li
Department of Dermatology and Cutaneous Biology, Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 364:208-13. 2007..These results suggest that MGP in Abcc6-/- mice is largely in inactive form and is unable to prevent the unwanted mineralization of connective tissues in PXE...
- Circulating calcification inhibitors and vascular properties in children after renal transplantationMarieke J H van Summeren
Department of Pediatric Immunology, University Medical Centre Utrecht, Lundlaan 6, Room KE 04 133 1, 3584 EA Utrecht, The Netherlands
Pediatr Nephrol 23:985-93. 2008..Future prospective studies in pediatric ESRD and transplant patients are needed to learn more about the role of calcification inhibitors in relation to the prevention of vascular damage...
- Glia-induced neuronal differentiation by transcriptional regulationChristian Goritz
Department of Neurotransmission Neuroendocrine Secretion, Institute of Cellular and Integrative Neurosciences INCI UMR7168 LC2 CNRS ULP, Strasbourg, France
Glia 55:1108-22. 2007..Together, our results suggest that glial cells promote different aspects of neuronal differentiation by regulating transcription of distinct classes of genes...