Affiliation: Maastricht University
Country: The Netherlands
- Dairy consumption and ovarian cancer risk in the Netherlands Cohort Study on Diet and CancerM Mommers
Department of Epidemiology, NUTRIM, Maastricht University, PO Box 616, Maastricht 6200 MD, The Netherlands
Br J Cancer 94:165-70. 2006..00-2.36; P(trend)=0.11), respectively. Lactose or dairy fat intakes were not associated with serous ovarian cancer risk. Our results do not support an association between consumption of dairy products or lactose intake and ovarian cancer...
- Timing of infection and development of wheeze, eczema, and atopic sensitization during the first 2 yr of life: the KOALA Birth Cohort StudyMonique Mommers
Department of Epidemiology, School for Public Health and Primary Care CAPHRI, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Pediatr Allergy Immunol 21:983-9. 2010..94 (95% CI 1.36-11.40) compared to children without diarrhea. Infections becoming clinically manifest during the first 3 months of life may be a general marker for a wheezy phenotype...
- Trends in the prevalence of respiratory symptoms and treatment in Dutch children over a 12 year period: results of the fourth consecutive surveyM Mommers
Department of General Practice, Care and Public Health Research Institute, University of Maastricht, P O Box 616, 6200 Maastricht, The Netherlands
Thorax 60:97-9. 2005..A study was undertaken to investigate whether previously observed trends in the prevalence of respiratory symptoms, physician visits, medication use, and absence from school in Dutch children aged 8-9 years persisted in 2001...
- Consumption of vegetables and fruits and risk of ovarian carcinomaMonique Mommers
Department of Epidemiology, NUTRIM, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Cancer 104:1512-9. 2005..To the authors' knowledge, only a few prospective studies to date have investigated the correlation between vegetable and fruit consumption and the risk of ovarian carcinoma and their results have been inconclusive...
- Indoor environment and respiratory symptoms in children living in the Dutch-German borderlandM Mommers
Institute for Hygiene and Environmental Medicine, R WTH Aachen, Germany
Int J Hyg Environ Health 208:373-81. 2005..To investigate the relation between indoor environmental risk factors and respiratory symptoms in 7-8-year-old children living in the Dutch-German borderland...
- Mode and place of delivery, gastrointestinal microbiota, and their influence on asthma and atopyFrederika A van Nimwegen
Department of Epidemiology, CAPHRI School for Public Health and Primary Care, Maastricht University Medical Centre, Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Allergy Clin Immunol 128:948-55.e1-3. 2011..However, results are inconsistent, and the hypothesized intermediate role of the microbiota in the association between birth mode and atopic manifestations has not been studied yet...
- Breast-feeding duration and infant atopic manifestations, by maternal allergic status, in the first 2 years of life (KOALA study)Bianca E P Snijders
Care and Public Health Research Institute, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Pediatr 151:347-51, 351.e1-2. 2007..To investigate the potential effect of modification by maternal allergic status on the relationship between breast-feeding duration and infant atopic manifestations in the first 2 years of life...
- Asthmatic symptoms, physical activity, and overweight in young children: a cohort studyMarianne Eijkemans
Department of Epidemiology, Nutrition, and Toxicology Research, Institute Maastricht Nutrim and School of Public Health and Primary Care Caphri, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Pediatrics 121:e666-72. 2008..We hypothesize that children with asthmatic symptoms are less physically active, which may contribute to the development of overweight...
- Childhood infections and risk of wheezing and allergic sensitisation at age 7-8 yearsMonique Mommers
Institute for Hygiene and Environmental Medicine, R WTH Aachen, Germany
Eur J Epidemiol 19:945-51. 2004..Aim of this study was to investigate the association between childhood infections and the occurrence of wheeze and allergic sensitisation in 7-8-year-old Dutch and German children...
- Folic acid use in pregnancy and the development of atopy, asthma, and lung function in childhoodFabienne J H Magdelijns
Department of Epidemiology, Maastricht University, CAPHRI School for Public Health and Primary Care, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Pediatrics 128:e135-44. 2011..Recently, folic acid supplementation during pregnancy was implicated as a potential risk factor for atopic diseases in childhood...
- Maternal and child's vitamin D supplement use and vitamin D level in relation to childhood lung function: the KOALA Birth Cohort StudyElleke Cremers
Department of Epidemiology, Maastricht University, P O Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
Thorax 66:474-80. 2011..Vitamin D is associated with lung function in adults, but its relation with childhood lung function is still unclear...
- Host-microbial interactions in childhood atopy: toll-like receptor 4 (TLR4), CD14, and fecal Escherichia coliJohn Penders
Department of Epidemiology, Nutrition and Toxicology Research Institute Maastricht and Care and Public Health Research Institute, Maastricht University, PO Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Allergy Clin Immunol 125:231-6.e1-5. 2010..It is likely that particularly gene-environmental interactions in early life determine the development of atopy...
- Infant immunization and the occurrence of atopic disease in Dutch and German children: a nested case-control studyM Mommers
Institute for Hygiene and Environmental Medicine, RWTH Aachen, Aachen, Germany
Pediatr Pulmonol 38:329-34. 2004..No evidence was found for an association between vaccination and respiratory symptoms. Earlier reports of an association of birth order with atopic disease were supported by the results of the present study...
- Physical activity and asthma: a systematic review and meta-analysisMarianne Eijkemans
Department of Pediatrics, Radboud University Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands Department of Epidemiology, School for Public Health and Primary Care CAPHRI, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 7:e50775. 2012..This review aims to give an overview of available published evidence concerning the association between physical activity and asthma in children, adolescents and adults...
- Early-life rotavirus and norovirus infections in relation to development of atopic manifestation in infantsJ Reimerink
Laboratory for Infectious Diseases and Screening, National Institute of Public Health and the Environment RIVM, Bilthoven, Maastricht, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Exp Allergy 39:254-60. 2009..The increase in incidence of atopic diseases (ADs) in the developed world over the past decades has been associated with reduced exposure of childhood infections...
- Toll-like receptor 4 polymorphism associated with the response to whole-cell pertussis vaccination in children from the KOALA studySander Banus
Laboratory of Vaccine Preventable Diseases, National Institute of Public Health and the Environment RIVM, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Clin Vaccine Immunol 14:1377-80. 2007..A lower titer was associated with the minor allele of rs2770150, supporting a role for Toll-like receptor 4 in the antibody response to wP vaccination...