Affiliation: Leiden University
Country: The Netherlands
- Adrenal hypersensitivity precedes chronic hypercorticism in streptozotocin-induced diabetes miceYanina Revsin
Division of Medical Pharmacology, Leiden Amsterdam Center for Drug Research, Einsteinweg 55, Leiden, The Netherlands
Endocrinology 149:3531-9. 2008..These results suggest that sensitization of the adrenal glands to ACTH rather than an increase in circulating ACTH level is the primary event leading to hypercorticism in the STZ-induced diabetes mouse model...
- Glucocorticoid receptor blockade normalizes hippocampal alterations and cognitive impairment in streptozotocin-induced type 1 diabetes miceYanina Revsin
Division of Medical Pharmacology, Leiden Amsterdam Center for Drug Research, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Neuropsychopharmacology 34:747-58. 2009..These signs of neurodegeneration can be prevented and/or reversed by GR blockade with mifepristone...
- When glucocorticoids change from protective to harmful. Lessons from a type 1 diabetes animal modelYanina Revsin
Department of Medical Pharmacology, Leiden Amsterdam Center for Drug Research, Leiden University, The Netherlands
Medicina (B Aires) 69:353-8. 2009..As an example, we discuss in this article, how the impact of excessive levels of corticosterone in a pharmacological model of type 1 diabetes can be ameliorated after a brief treatment with a GR antagonist...
- Increased astrocyte reactivity in the hippocampus of murine models of type 1 diabetes: the nonobese diabetic (NOD) and streptozotocin-treated miceFlavia E Saravia
Laboratory of Neuroendocrine Biochemistry, Instituto de Biologa y Medicina Experimental, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Brain Res 957:345-53. 2002..In conclusion, astrocyte changes present in genetic and pharmacological models of T1D appear to reflect an adaptive process to alterations of glucose homeostasis...
- Neuronal and astroglial alterations in the hippocampus of a mouse model for type 1 diabetesYanina Revsin
Laboratory of Neuroendocrine Biochemistry, Institute of Biology and Experimental Medicine, Obligado 2490 1428 Buenos Aires, Argentina
Brain Res 1038:22-31. 2005..These data support the concept that uncontrolled diabetes leads to hippocampal pathology, which adjoin to changes in other brain structures such as hypothalamus and cerebral cortex...
- Hippocampal neuropathology of diabetes mellitus is relieved by estrogen treatmentFlavia E Saravia
Laboratory of Neuroendocrine Biochemistry, Instituto de Biología y Medicina Experimental and Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, University of Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Cell Mol Neurobiol 26:943-57. 2006..Studies in animal models may open up new venues for understanding the beneficial role of steroid hormones in diabetic encephalopathy...