M M C Hovens
Affiliation: Leiden University Medical Center
Country: The Netherlands
- Pharmacological strategies to reduce cardiovascular risk in type 2 diabetes mellitus: an updateMarcel M C Hovens
Department of General Internal Medicine, Leiden University Medical Centre, PO Box 9600, Leiden, C01 R, 2300 RC, The Netherlands
Drugs 65:433-45. 2005..An intensified approach in order to identify and treat cardiovascular risk factors in patients with type 2 diabetes, stratified to individual patients, is necessary to reduce the excess cardiovascular burden of these patients...
- Aspirin in the prevention and treatment of venous thromboembolismM M C Hovens
Department of General Internal Medicine, Section of Vascular Medicine, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
J Thromb Haemost 4:1470-5. 2006..Currently, there is no evidence to support a role for aspirin in air travel-related VTE. Regarding prevention of recurrent VTE, studies are ongoing to determine the potential role of aspirin after a first unprovoked VTE...
- Prevalence of persistent platelet reactivity despite use of aspirin: a systematic reviewMarcel M C Hovens
Department of General Internal Medicine and Endocrinology, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Am Heart J 153:175-81. 2007..Persistent platelet reactivity despite aspirin therapy might explain this in part. Reported prevalences of this so-called aspirin resistance vary widely, between 0% and 57%...
- Unusual presentation of central nervous system manifestations of Varicella zoster virus vasculopathy in renal transplant recipientsM M C Hovens
Department of General Internal Medicine, Leiden University Medical Centre, Leiden, The Netherlands
Transpl Infect Dis 9:237-40. 2007..In solid organ transplant recipients presenting with neurological signs and symptoms, a diagnosis of VZV-associated vasculopathy should be considered...
- Effects of aspirin on serum C-reactive protein and interleukin-6 levels in patients with type 2 diabetes without cardiovascular disease: a randomized placebo-controlled crossover trialM M C Hovens
Department of General Internal Medicine Endocrinology, Vascular Medicine Unit, Leiden University Medical Centre, Leiden, The Netherlands
Diabetes Obes Metab 10:668-74. 2008....
- Hestia criteria can safely select patients with pulmonary embolism for outpatient treatment irrespective of right ventricular functionW Zondag
Department of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, LUMC, Leiden, The Netherlands
J Thromb Haemost 11:686-92. 2013..There has been debate over how patients with pulmonary embolism (PE) can be safely selected for outpatient treatment...
- High D-dimer levels increase the likelihood of pulmonary embolismL W Tick
Department of Internal Medicine, Meander Medical Center, Amersfoort, The Netherlands
J Intern Med 264:195-200. 2008..Whether this should translate into more intensive diagnostic and therapeutic measures in patients with high D-dimer levels irrespective of CDR remains to be studied...
- Association of laboratory-defined aspirin resistance with a higher risk of recurrent cardiovascular events: a systematic review and meta-analysisJaapjan D Snoep
Department of General Internal Medicine and Endocrinology, Leiden University Medical Center, C 09 P, PO Box 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
Arch Intern Med 167:1593-9. 2007..The objective of this study was to systematically review all available evidence on whether laboratory aspirin resistance is related to a higher risk of cardiovascular recurrent events...
- Clopidogrel nonresponsiveness in patients undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention with stenting: a systematic review and meta-analysisJaapjan D Snoep
Department of General Internal Medicine and Endocrinology, Vascular Medicine Unit, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Am Heart J 154:221-31. 2007..However, both prevalence and associated cardiovascular risks remain unclear. We systematically reviewed evidence on prevalence and clinical consequences of laboratory clopidogrel nonresponsiveness in patients undergoing PCI...
- Time-dependent effects of low-dose aspirin on plasma renin activity, aldosterone, cortisol, and catecholaminesJaapjan D Snoep
Department of Clinical Epidemiology, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Hypertension 54:1136-42. 2009..Decreased activity of these pressor systems forms a biologically plausible explanation for the finding that aspirin at night may reduce blood pressure, whereas aspirin at morning does not...
- Outpatient treatment in patients with acute pulmonary embolism: the Hestia StudyW Zondag
Section of Vascular Medicine, Department of General Internal Medicine Endocrinology, LUMC, Leiden, The Netherlands
J Thromb Haemost 9:1500-7. 2011..The results of a few small non-randomized studies suggest that, in selected patients with proven PE, outpatient treatment is potentially feasible and safe...
- Accuracy of carotid plaque detection and intima-media thickness measurement with ultrasonography in routine clinical practiceA Ray
Section of Vascular Medicine, Department of General Internal Medicine and Endocrinology, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Eur J Intern Med 21:35-9. 2010..In the present study we have assessed the accuracy of ultrasound detection of carotid plaques and intima-media thickness by trained internists in a routine outpatient setting...
- Practical diagnostic management of patients with clinically suspected deep vein thrombosis by clinical probability test, compression ultrasonography, and D-dimer testLidwine W Tick
Department of General Internal Medicine, Meander Medical Center, Amersfoort, The Netherlands
Am J Med 113:630-5. 2002....
- Prevention of coagulase-negative staphylococcal central venous catheter-related infection using urokinase rinses: a randomized double-blind controlled trial in patients with hematologic malignanciesCornelis J van Rooden
Department of General Internal Medicine Endocrinology, Leiden University Medical Center, Albinusdreef 2, PO Box 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
J Clin Oncol 26:428-33. 2008....