Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Leiden University
Country: The Netherlands
- Hoekstra M, Korporaal S, van der Sluis R, Hirsch Reinshagen V, Bochem A, Wellington C, et al. LCAT deficiency in mice is associated with a diminished adrenal glucocorticoid function. J Lipid Res. 2013;54:358-64 pubmed publisher..These findings further highlight the important novel role for HDL as cholesterol donor for the synthesis of glucocorticoids by the adrenals. ..
- Hoekstra M, Van der Lans C, Halvorsen B, Gullestad L, Kuiper J, Aukrust P, et al. The peripheral blood mononuclear cell microRNA signature of coronary artery disease. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;394:792-7 pubmed publisher..Our findings highlight the importance of microRNAs signatures as novel tool to predict clinical disease outcomes. ..
- Hoekstra M, Stitzinger M, van Wanrooij E, Michon I, Kruijt J, Kamphorst J, et al. Microarray analysis indicates an important role for FABP5 and putative novel FABPs on a Western-type diet. J Lipid Res. 2006;47:2198-207 pubmed
- Hoekstra M, Kruijt J, Van Eck M, Van Berkel T. Specific gene expression of ATP-binding cassette transporters and nuclear hormone receptors in rat liver parenchymal, endothelial, and Kupffer cells. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:25448-53 pubmed
- Hoekstra M, Li Z, Kruijt J, Van Eck M, Van Berkel T, Kuiper J. The expression level of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease-related gene PNPLA3 in hepatocytes is highly influenced by hepatic lipid status. J Hepatol. 2010;52:244-51 pubmed publisher..It appears that the NAFLD-related gene PNPLA3 is highly responsive to metabolic changes in hepatocytes within the liver and its relative change in expression level suggests an essential function in lipogenesis. ..
- Hoekstra M, Ye D, Hildebrand R, Zhao Y, Lammers B, Stitzinger M, et al. Scavenger receptor class B type I-mediated uptake of serum cholesterol is essential for optimal adrenal glucocorticoid production. J Lipid Res. 2009;50:1039-46 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we have shown that CETP-mediated transfer of HDL-CE is not able to reverse adrenal insufficiency in SR-BI knockout mice. Thus, SR-BI-mediated uptake of serum cholesterol is essential for optimal adrenal function. ..
- Hoekstra M, Out R, Kruijt J, Van Eck M, Van Berkel T. Diet induced regulation of genes involved in cholesterol metabolism in rat liver parenchymal and Kupffer cells. J Hepatol. 2005;42:400-7 pubmed..Heavy lipid loading of parenchymal cells leads to moderate gene expression changes, while Kupffer cells respond in a highly adaptive fashion by stimulating the expression of genes involved in cholesterol metabolism and transport. ..