Anton Jm de Craen
Affiliation: Leiden University Medical Center
Country: The Netherlands
- An analysis of systematic reviews indicated low incorpororation of results from clinical trial quality assessmentAnton J M de Craen
Department of General Internal Medicine, Leiden University Medical Center, PO Box 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
J Clin Epidemiol 58:311-3. 2005..We investigated the frequency of quality assessment of randomized controlled trials within systematic reviews and the incorporation of the quality assessment in the analysis...
- Placebo effect in the acute treatment of migraine: subcutaneous placebos are better than oral placebosA J de Craen
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Academic Medical Centre, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Neurol 247:183-8. 2000..The interpreting of placebo-controlled trial results must therefore consider that the effect in the drug arm of the trial depends in part on the route of administration...
- Assistive devices and community-based services among 85-year-old community-dwelling elderly in The Netherlands: ownership, use, and need for interventionAnton J M de Craen
Section of Gerontology and Geriatrics, Leiden University Medical Centre, Leiden, The Netherlands
Disabil Rehabil Assist Technol 1:199-203. 2006..To assess the home-situation of the oldest old regarding the ownership, use, and need for intervention of assistive devices and community-based services...
- [The use of age as a variable in clinical research]A J M de Craen
Leids Universitair Medisch Centrum, afd Ouderengeneeskunde, Postbus 9600, 2300 RC Leiden
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 149:2958-63. 2005..Mathematical adjustments for age in linear, logistic, and Cox regression is easy to carry out but their interpretation is often difficult. Adjusting for age is not always necessary...
- Seasonal mood variation in the elderly: the Leiden 85-plus studyAnton J M de Craen
Department of General Internal Medicine, Section of Gerontology and Geriatrics, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 20:269-73. 2005..The influence of seasonal changes on mood and behaviour is called seasonality. The prevalence of seasonality in elderly subjects is unknown...
- Meta-analysis of nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug use and risk of dementiaAnton J M de Craen
Section of Gerontology and Geriatrics, Department of General Internal Medicine, Leiden University Medical Center, P O Box 9600, Leiden 2300 RC, The Netherlands
Am J Epidemiol 161:114-20. 2005....
- [The prioritisation of genetic screening with primary haemochromatosis as an example]A J de Craen
Leids Universitair Medisch Centrum, afd Algemene Interne Geneeskunde, Sectie Gerontologie en Geriatrie, Postbus 9600, 2300 RC Leiden
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 147:1442-5. 2003..The 12 criteria of the Health Council of the Netherlands are still applicable. However, when taking a decision as to whether or not genetic screening is useful, we recommend that priority be given to the two primary criteria...
- Prevalence of five common clinical abnormalities in very elderly people: population based cross sectional studyA J M de Craen
Section of Gerontology and Geriatrics, Department of General Internal Medicine, Leiden University Medical Centre, PO Box 9600, 2300 RC, Leiden, Netherlands
BMJ 327:131-2. 2003
- Accuracy of the 15-item geriatric depression scale (GDS-15) in a community sample of the oldest oldAnton J M de Craen
Section of Gerontology and Geriatrics, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 18:63-6. 2003..This might influence the sensitivity and specificity of the 15-item Geriatric Depression Scale (GDS-15). Few studies, however, have included subjects older than 85 years to evaluate the GDS-15 as a screening instrument for depression...
- Adverse environmental conditions influence age-related innate immune responsivenessLinda May
Department of Gerontology and Geriatrics, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Immun Ageing 6:7. 2009..CONCLUSION-: We conclude that the decline in innate cytokine responses is an intrinsic ageing phenomenon, while pathogen exposure and/or selective survival drive pro-inflammatory responses under adverse living conditions...
- Replication of LDL GWAs hits in PROSPER/PHASE as validation for future (pharmaco)genetic analysesStella Trompet
Department of Cardiology, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
BMC Med Genet 12:131. 2011..In this report we first describe the rationale of the PROSPER/PHASE project and second show that the PROSPER/PHASE study can be used to study pharmacogenetics in the elderly...
- Age determines the prognostic role of the cancer stem cell marker aldehyde dehydrogenase-1 in breast cancerJ Sven D Mieog
Department of Surgery, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
BMC Cancer 12:42. 2012..The purpose of this study was to compare the expression and the prognostic effect of the breast cancer stem cell marker aldehyde dehydrogenase-1 (ALDH1) in young and elderly breast cancer patients...