Country: The Netherlands
- Abnormal warm and cold sensation thresholds suggestive of small-fibre neuropathy in sarcoidosisE Hoitsma
Department of Clinical Neurophysiology, Maastricht University Hospital, P O Box 5800, 6202 AZ Maastricht, The Netherlands
Clin Neurophysiol 114:2326-33. 2003..Recently we observed symptoms suggestive of small-fibre neuropathy in a group of sarcoidosis patients. The aim of the present study was to verify this observation using various electrophysiological tests...
- Small fiber neuropathy: a common and important clinical disorderE Hoitsma
Department of Clinical Neurophysiology, Maastricht University Hospital, Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Neurol Sci 227:119-30. 2004..Unless an underlying disease is identified, treatment is usually symptomatic and directed towards alleviation of neuropathic pain...
- Neurosarcoidosis: a clinical dilemmaElske Hoitsma
Department of Neurology, Sarcoidosis Management Center, University Hospital Maastricht, Netherlands
Lancet Neurol 3:397-407. 2004..The value of new drugs such as anti-tumour necrosis factor alpha will be assessed. In this review we describe the clinical manifestations of neurosarcoidosis, diagnostic dilemmas and considerations, and therapy...
- Small fibre neuropathy in sarcoidosisE Hoitsma
Department of Neurology, University Hospital Maastricht, Netherlands
Lancet 359:2085-6. 2002..All seven patients had reduced IENFD compared with controls, which confirmed the presence of small fibre neuropathy in these patients. Some patients with sarcoidosis may have small fibre neuropathy with autonomic involvement...
- Impact of pain in a Dutch sarcoidosis patient populationElske Hoitsma
Department of Neurology, Sarcoidosis Management Center, University Hospital Maastricht, The Netherlands
Sarcoidosis Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis 20:33-9. 2003..Although negative feelings and fatigue were related to pain, it could not fully explain pain. Future studies are needed to address mechanisms of pain, pain behaviour, and the best therapeutic approach to pain in sarcoidosis...
- Sleep disturbances associated with periodic leg movements in chronic sarcoidosisJohan Verbraecken
Dept of Pulmonary Medicine, University of Antwerp, Belgium
Sarcoidosis Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis 21:137-46. 2004..Moreover, sheet intolerance and painful legs are frequently reported in sarcoidosis patients. These symptoms might interfere with sleep quality...
- Association of small fiber neuropathy with cardiac sympathetic dysfunction in sarcoidosisElske Hoitsma
Dept of Neurology, Management Center, University Hospital Maastricht, The Netherlands
Sarcoidosis Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis 22:43-50. 2005..MIBG scintigraphy may be of additional value in the management and follow-up of sarcoidosis patients. Future study is warranted to explore possible prognostic and therapeutic implications of these findings in sarcoidosis...
- Association of HLA DQB1 0602 in sarcoidosis patients with small fiber neuropathyChristina E M Voorter
Tissue Typing Laboratory, University Hospital Maastricht, The Netherlands
Sarcoidosis Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis 22:129-32. 2005..Sarcoidosis has been reported to be associated with the HLA genes, in particular DQB1...
- Improvement of small fiber neuropathy in a sarcoidosis patient after treatment with infliximabElske Hoitsma
Dept. of Neurology, University Hospital Maastricht, The Netherlands
Sarcoidosis Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis 23:73-7. 2006..First, it shows that SFN seems not an irreversible disorder, even in severe cases. Second, TNF-alpha may be a crucial cytokine in the pathogenesis of SFN in sarcoidosis and eventually also in other immune mediated inflammatory diseases...