Affiliation: Erasmus MC
Country: The Netherlands
- Online tools to support literature-based discovery in the life sciencesMarc Weeber
Department of Medical Informatics, Erasmus MC University Medical Center Rotterdam, PO Box 1738, 3000 DR Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Brief Bioinform 6:277-86. 2005..This paper presents an overview of recent LBD research and discusses methodology, results and online tools that are available to the scientific community...
- Evaluation of techniques for increasing recall in a dictionary approach to gene and protein name identificationMartijn J Schuemie
Department of Medical Informatics, Erasmus University Medical Center Rotterdam, P O Box 1738, 3000 DR, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Biomed Inform 40:316-24. 2007..Application of 23 spelling variation rules to the combined dictionaries further increased recall. However, many rules appeared to have no effect and some appear to have a detrimental effect on precision...
- Calling on a million minds for community annotation in WikiProteinsBarend Mons
Erasmus Medical Centre, Department of Medical Informatics, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Genome Biol 9:R89. 2008..We call on a 'million minds' to annotate a 'million concepts' and to collect facts from the literature with the reward of collaborative knowledge discovery. The system is available for beta testing at http://www.wikiprofessional.org...
- Thesaurus-based disambiguation of gene symbolsBob J A Schijvenaars
Department of Medical Informatics, Erasmus University Medical Center Rotterdam, P O Box 1738, 3000 DR Rotterdam, The Netherlands
BMC Bioinformatics 6:149. 2005..Massive text mining of the biological literature holds great promise of relating disparate information and discovering new knowledge. However, disambiguation of gene symbols is a major bottleneck...
- Automatic mining of the literature to generate new hypotheses for the possible link between periodontitis and atherosclerosis: lipopolysaccharide as a case studyKristina M Hettne
Safety Assessment, AstraZeneca R and D Molndal, Sweden
J Clin Periodontol 34:1016-24. 2007..The aim of the current report was to generate and explore new hypotheses into how, in a pathophysiological sense, atherosclerosis and periodontitis could be linked...
- Contextual annotation of web pages for interactive browsingErik van Mulligen
Dept of Medical Informatics, Erasmus University Medical Center Rotterdam, PO Box 1738, 3000 DR Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Stud Health Technol Inform 107:94-8. 2004..The new approach merges the searching and browsing into one combined "read-and-search" mode and alleviates the shift users are normally forced to between searching and reading...
- Training multidisciplinary biomedical informatics students: three years of experienceErik M van Mulligen
Deartment of Medical Informatics, Erasmus University Medical Center Rotterdam, PO Box 1738, 3000 DR, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Am Med Inform Assoc 15:246-54. 2008....
- Generating hypotheses by discovering implicit associations in the literature: a case report of a search for new potential therapeutic uses for thalidomideMarc Weeber
Department of Social Pharmacy and Pharmacoepidemiology, Groningen University Institute for Drug Exploration, The Netherlands
J Am Med Inform Assoc 10:252-9. 2003..However, experimental and clinical evaluation is needed to validate these hypotheses and to assess the trade-off between therapeutic benefits and toxicities...