Affiliation: Erasmus MC
Country: The Netherlands
- Long-term survival after perforated diverticulitisJ Vermeulen
Erasmus Medical Center, Department of Surgery Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Colorectal Dis 13:203-9. 2011..Less is known about long-term survival. The aims of this study were to evaluate long-term survival after discharge from hospital and to identify factors associated with prognosis...
- Treatment of perforated diverticulitis with generalized peritonitis: past, present, and futureJefrey Vermeulen
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Erasmus Medical Center, Dr Molewaterplein 40, 3015 GD, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
World J Surg 34:587-93. 2010..The supposed optimal treatment of perforated diverticulitis with generalized peritonitis has changed several times during the last century, but at present is still unclear...
- Avoiding or reversing Hartmann's procedure provides improved quality of life after perforated diverticulitisJefrey Vermeulen
Department of Surgery, Erasmus University Hospital, Dr Molewaterplein 40, 3015 GD Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Gastrointest Surg 14:651-7. 2010..The aim of this study was to assess long-term quality of life (QOL) after emergency surgery for perforated diverticulitis...
- Restoration of bowel continuity after surgery for acute perforated diverticulitis: should Hartmann's procedure be considered a one-stage procedure?J Vermeulen
Department of Surgery, Erasmus Medical Centre, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Colorectal Dis 11:619-24. 2009..The aim of this study was to assess differences in the rate of stomal reversal after HP and PA with DI and to evaluate factors associated with postreversal morbidity in patients operated for acute perforated diverticulitis...
- Reversal of Hartmann's procedure through the stomal side: a new even more minimal invasive techniqueJefrey Vermeulen
Department of Surgery, Erasmus University Medical Center, Dr Molenwaterplein 40, 3015 GD Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Surg Endosc 22:2319-22. 2008....
- Pathophysiology and prevention of diverticulitis and perforationJ Vermeulen
Department of Surgery, Erasmus University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Neth J Med 68:303-9. 2010..This article gives an overview of the current evidence and theories in the pathophysiology of diverticulosis, diverticulitis and perforation and discusses its prevention...
- Outcome after emergency surgery for acute perforated diverticulitis in 200 casesJefrey Vermeulen
Department of Surgery, MCRZ St Clara Hospital and Zuider Hospital, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Dig Surg 24:361-6. 2007..The ideal treatment is still controversial. The object of this study was to compare patients with perforated diverticulitis treated either by resection with primary anastomosis (PA) or Hartmann's procedure (HP)...
- The ladies trial: laparoscopic peritoneal lavage or resection for purulent peritonitis and Hartmann's procedure or resection with primary anastomosis for purulent or faecal peritonitis in perforated diverticulitis (NTR2037)Hilko A Swank
Department of Surgery, Academic Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
BMC Surg 10:29. 2010....
- Management of penetrating injuries of the upper extremitiesOscar J F van Waes
Department of Trauma Surgery, Erasmus University Medical Centre, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Ulus Travma Acil Cerrahi Derg 19:405-10. 2013..Selective non-operative management (SNOM) is gaining in favor for patients with PUET. The present study was undertaken to assess the validity of SNOM in PUET and to present a practical management algorithm...
- "The Practical Perforator Flap": the sural artery flap for lower extremity soft tissue reconstruction in wounds of warOscar J F van Waes
Department of Trauma Surgery, Erasmus University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol 23:S285-9. 2013..We present the use of this flap for compound soft tissue defects of the lower limb in civilian casualties of armed conflict in Afghanistan...
- Fistula formation to the bladder and to a corpus alienum as a rare complication of diverticulitis: a case reportJefrey Vermeulen
Department of Surgery, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Emerg Med 43:e87-8. 2012..Fistula formation is a known complication of diverticulitis. Treatment of a diverticular fistula depends on the comorbidity of the patient and the severity of the disease...
- Treatment of penetrating trauma of the extremities: ten years' experience at a Dutch level 1 trauma centerOscar J F van Waes
Department of Surgery Traumatology, Erasmus MC, University Medical Center Rotterdam, PO Box 2040, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med 21:2. 2013..With this SNOM comes a strategy in which adjuvant investigations or interventions are not routinely performed, but based on physical examination only...
- Impaired anastomotic healing after preoperative radiotherapy followed by anterior resection for treatment of rectal carcinomaJefrey Vermeulen
Medisch Centrum Rijnmond Zuid, Department of Surgery, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
S Afr J Surg 44:12, 14-6. 2006..The aim of this study was to assess the side-effects in patients who had preoperative RT compared with those who did not receive it (because of palliative resections, advanced age or refusal)...
- Primary resection and side-to-end anastomosis next to an end-colostomy in the management of acute malignant obstruction of the left bowel: an alternative in selected patientsW S Meijer
Medical Center Rijnmond Zuid, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Tech Coloproctol 13:123-6. 2009..Hartmann's procedure still represents a valid treatment option. We describe our experience with primary resection and side-to-end anastomosis next to an end-colostomy in the management of acute malignant obstruction of the left bowel...
- Primary closure of the skin after stoma closure. Management of wound infections is easy without (long-term) complicationsN Vermulst
Department of Surgery, Medisch Centrum Rijnmond Zuid, NL 3078 HT Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Dig Surg 23:255-8. 2006..Therefore, this present study was undertaken to compare the complications and consequences between primary or delayed closure of the skin after stoma closure...
- Prolonged abdominal wall pain caused by transfascial sutures used in the laparoscopic repair of incisional herniaJ Vermeulen
Department of Surgery, Reinier de Graaf Groep, P O Box 5012, Delft, The Netherlands
Surg Endosc 17:1497. 2003..Herein we describe a case of prolonged abdominal wall pain after laparoscopic hernia mesh repair that was caused by the use of transfascial sutures...