Affiliation: Erasmus University
Country: The Netherlands
- Defining hospital markets for antitrust enforcement: new approaches and their applicability to The NetherlandsMarco Varkevisser
Institute of Health Policy and Management iBMG, Erasmus University Rotterdam, 3000 DR Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Health Econ Policy Law 3:7-29. 2008..We conclude that the appropriate approach depends crucially on how health insurers contract with hospitals and how patients select their hospital...
- Pharmaceutical policy in the Netherlands: from price regulation towards managed competitionLieke H H M Boonen
Institute of Health Policy and Management, Erasmus University Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Adv Health Econ Health Serv Res 22:53-76. 2010..To analyse the development of pharmaceutical policy in the Dutch market for outpatient prescription drugs since the early 1990s...
- Do patients choose hospitals with high quality ratings? Empirical evidence from the market for angioplasty in the NetherlandsMarco Varkevisser
Institute of Health Policy and Management iBMG, Erasmus University Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Health Econ 31:371-8. 2012..Insofar patients base their hospital choice on such imperfect quality information, this may result in suboptimal choices and risk selection by hospitals...
- Why do patients bypass the nearest hospital? An empirical analysis for orthopaedic care and neurosurgery in the NetherlandsMarco Varkevisser
Institute of Health Policy and Management and Erasmus Competition and Regulation Institute, Erasmus University Rotterdam, P O Box 1738, 3000 DR, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Health Econ 8:287-95. 2007..From our analysis it follows that both patient and hospital care heterogeneity should be taken into account when assessing the substitutability of hospitals...
- Assessing hospital competition when prices don't matter to patients: the use of time-elasticitiesMarco Varkevisser
Institute of Health Policy and Management iBMG, Erasmus University Rotterdam, P O Box 1738, 3000 DR, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Health Care Finance Econ 10:43-60. 2010..This implies that all hospitals in our study sample have at least one close substitute which is an important precondition for effective hospital competition...