M H N Schermer
Affiliation: Erasmus MC
Country: The Netherlands
- On the argument that enhancement is "cheating"M Schermer
Department of Medical Ethics and Philosophy of Medicine, Erasmus Medical Center, Office AE 340, PO Box 2040, 3000 CA Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Med Ethics 34:85-8. 2008..Seen from this perspective, the important question is how enhancement technologies might be embedded in specific practices--or how they might corrode them...
- Telecare and self-management: opportunity to change the paradigm?M Schermer
Medical Ethics and Philosophy of Medicine, Room AE 340, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Med Ethics 35:688-91. 2009..Against this, a plea is made for developing telecare systems that incorporate concordant and collaborative forms of self-management, in which the patient's own perspective is empowered...
- The ethical desirability of moral bioenhancement: a review of reasonsJona Specker
Department of Medical Ethics and Philosophy, ErasmusMC University Medical Center Rotterdam, P, O, Box 2040, 3000, CA, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
BMC Med Ethics 15:67. 2014..The aim of this paper is to systematically review the ethical reasons presented in the literature for and against moral bioenhancement...
- Ethical issues in deep brain stimulationMaartje Schermer
Department of Medical Ethics and Philosophy, Erasmus University Medical Center Rotterdam, Netherlands
Front Integr Neurosci 5:17. 2011..Several guidelines have been proposed to ensure this. One of the preconditions to further development of responsible and transparent research practices is the establishment of a comprehensive registry...
- The role of disease characteristics in the ethical debate on personal genome testingEline M Bunnik
Dept of Medical Ethics and Philosophy of Medicine, Erasmus University Medical Center, Dr Molewaterplein 50, Rotterdam 3015 GE, The Netherlands
BMC Med Genomics 5:4. 2012..Insight into morally relevant differences between diseases will assist researchers, healthcare professionals, policy-makers and other stakeholders in the ethical evaluation of personal genome tests...
- Personal genome testing: test characteristics to clarify the discourse on ethical, legal and societal issuesEline M Bunnik
Department of Medical Ethics and Philosophy of Medicine, Erasmus University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
BMC Med Ethics 12:11. 2011..This paper presents a systematic approach to the ELSI-evaluation of personal genome testing for multifactorial diseases along the lines of its test characteristics...
- Enhancements, easy shortcuts, and the richness of human activitiesMaartje Schermer
Department of Medical Ethics and Philosophy of Medicine, Erasmus University Medical Centre, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Bioethics 22:355-63. 2008..It can point out some of the caveats, as well as the opportunities, of the use of enhancement technologies...
- Nothing but the truth? On truth and deception in dementia careMaartje Schermer
Department of Medical Ethics and Philosophy of Medicine, Office AE 340, ErasmusMC, P O Box 2040, 3000 CA Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Bioethics 21:13-22. 2007....
- Brave New World versus Island--utopian and dystopian views on psychopharmacologyM H N Schermer
Department of Medical Ethics and Philosophy of Medicine, Erasmus Medical Center, University of Rotterdam, Room AE 340, PO Box 2040, 3000 CA, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Med Health Care Philos 10:119-28. 2007....
- Ethics in technological culture: a programmatic proposal for a pragmatist approachJozef Keulartz
Wageningen University, The Netherlands
Sci Technol Human Values 29:3-29. 2004..They will explore the tasks and tools of a pragmatist ethics and pay special attention to the exploration of future worlds disclosed and shaped by technology and the management of deep value conflicts inherent in a pluralistic society...
- Pragmatism as a research program--a reply to ArrasMaartje Schermer
Theor Med Bioeth 24:19-29. 2003..The approach we propose exhibits a number of characteristics that differ from Arras's account of freestanding pragmatism and offers something new to bioethics...
- In search of 'the good life' for demented elderlyMaartje Schermer
Department of Philosophy, University of Amsterdam, Nieuwe Doelenstraat 15, 1012 CP Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Med Health Care Philos 6:35-44. 2003....