Johannes A Schaar
Affiliation: Erasmus MC
Country: The Netherlands
- Three-dimensional palpography of human coronary arteries. Ex vivo validation and in-patient evaluationJohannes A Schaar
Erasmus University, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Herz 30:125-33. 2005..At present, techniques with sufficient sensitivity and specificity to identify these unstable plaques are not clinically available. This paper describes a new technique to identify these plaques...
- Intravascular palpography for vulnerable plaque assessmentJohannes A Schaar
Thoraxcenter, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Am Coll Cardiol 47:C86-91. 2006..The clinical utility of this technique is yet to be determined, and more investigation is needed...
- Terminology for high-risk and vulnerable coronary artery plaques. Report of a meeting on the vulnerable plaque, June 17 and 18, 2003, Santorini, GreeceJohannes A Schaar
Department of Experimental Echocardiography, Erasmus Medical Center Rotterdam, Dr Molewaterplein 50, P O Box, 1738 Room Ee 23 32, 3000 DR Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Eur Heart J 25:1077-82. 2004..It is the hope that this usage might be of value to the larger community of scientists working in this field, and that widespread adoption of a common nomenclature would accelerate progress in the prevention of acute coronary events...
- Incidence of high-strain patterns in human coronary arteries: assessment with three-dimensional intravascular palpography and correlation with clinical presentationJohannes A Schaar
Erasmus Medical Center, Thoraxcenter Rotterdam, Kamer Ee 23 32, PO Box 1738, 3000 DR Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Circulation 109:2716-9. 2004..We further explored the relation of such regions to clinical presentation and to C-reactive protein levels...
- Characterizing vulnerable plaque features with intravascular elastographyJohannes A Schaar
Thoraxcenter Erasmus MC Rotterdam, Kamer Ee 23 32, PO Box 1738, 3000 DR Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Circulation 108:2636-41. 2003..However, the predictive value of intravascular elastography to detect vulnerable plaques had not been studied...
- Intravascular palpography for high-risk vulnerable plaque assessmentJohannes A Schaar
Thorax Center, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Herz 28:488-95. 2003..The stress in the cap increases with decreasing cap thickness and increasing macrophage infiltration. Intravascular ultrasound (IVUS) palpography might be an ideal technique to assess the mechanical properties of high-risk plaques...
- Current diagnostic modalities for vulnerable plaque detectionJohannes A Schaar
Erasmus MC Rotterdam, Thoraxcenter, Dr Molewaterplein 50, Room Ee 23 32, NL 3000 DR Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Curr Pharm Des 13:995-1001. 2007..Most of the techniques show exiting features, but none have proven their value in an extensive in vivo validation and all have a lack of prospective data...
- Young's modulus reconstruction of vulnerable atherosclerotic plaque components using deformable curvesRadj A Baldewsing
Biomedical Engineering, Thorax Centre, Erasmus Medical Centre Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Ultrasound Med Biol 32:201-10. 2006..Consequently, this method may become a valuable tool for the quantification of both the morphology and stiffness of vulnerable atherosclerotic plaque components...
- Identification of atherosclerotic plaque components with intravascular ultrasound elastography in vivo: a Yucatan pig studyChris L de Korte
Experimental Echocardiography, Erasmus University, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Circulation 105:1627-30. 2002..Intravascular ultrasound elastography assesses the local strain of the atherosclerotic vessel wall. In the present study, the potential to identify different plaque components in vivo was investigated...
- Strain distribution over plaques in human coronary arteries relates to shear stressFrank J H Gijsen
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Thoraxcenter, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 295:H1608-14. 2008..Higher strain can be found in all other plaque regions, with the highest strain found in regions exposed to the highest shear stresses. This indicates that high shear stress might destabilize plaques, which could lead to plaque rupture...
- An inverse method for imaging the local elasticity of atherosclerotic coronary plaquesRadjkumarsing A Baldewsing
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
IEEE Trans Inf Technol Biomed 12:277-89. 2008....
- A finite element model for performing intravascular ultrasound elastography of human atherosclerotic coronary arteriesRadj A Baldewsing
Biomedical Engineering, Thoraxcenter, Erasmus Medical Center Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Ultrasound Med Biol 30:803-13. 2004..As such, the FEM may help in quantifying strain-dependencies and assist in tissue characterization by reconstructing a Young's modulus image from a measured elastogram...
- Noninvasive detection of subclinical coronary atherosclerosis coupled with assessment of changes in plaque characteristics using novel invasive imaging modalities: the Integrated Biomarker and Imaging Study (IBIS)Carlos A G van Mieghem
Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Am Coll Cardiol 47:1134-42. 2006..Our purpose was to assess noninvasive imaging in detection of subclinical atherosclerosis and to examine novel invasive modalities to describe prevalence and temporal changes in putative characteristics of "high-risk" plaques...
- Robustness of reconstructing the Young's modulus distribution of vulnerable atherosclerotic plaques using a parametric plaque modelRadj A Baldewsing
Biomedical Engineering, Thorax Centre, Erasmus Medical Centre Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Ultrasound Med Biol 31:1631-45. 2005..Furthermore, reconstructions were 1. independent of catheter position and 2. independent of strain noise. As such, this method has potential to monitor robustly and quantitatively atherosclerosis in vivo...
- Local elasticity imaging of vulnerable atherosclerotic coronary plaquesRadj A Baldewsing
Biomedical Engineering, Thorax Center, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Adv Cardiol 44:35-61. 2007..This chapter describes the terminology and pathophysiology of vulnerable plaques and discusses the techniques behind, the methods for and the validations of the elasticity imaging techniques...
- In vivo relationship between compositional and mechanical imaging of coronary arteries. Insights from intravascular ultrasound radiofrequency data analysisGaston A Rodriguez-Granillo
Thoraxcenter, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Am Heart J 151:1025.e1-6. 2006..We sought to explore in vivo the relation between mechanical and compositional properties of matched cross sections (CSs) using novel catheter-based techniques...
- High shear stress induces a strain increase in human coronary plaques over a 6-month periodFrank J H Gijsen
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Thoraxcenter, ErasmusMC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
EuroIntervention 7:121-7. 2011..We investigated changes in plaque composition in human coronary arteries over a 6-month period and how these changes are related to shear stress...
- Rationale and methods of the integrated biomarker and imaging study (IBIS): combining invasive and non-invasive imaging with biomarkers to detect subclinical atherosclerosis and assess coronary lesion biologyCarlos A G van Mieghem
Erasmus Medical Center, Thoraxcenter, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Cardiovasc Imaging 21:425-41. 2005..It outlines the analyses that will be performed to compare invasive and non-invasive imaging techniques in conjunction with multiple biomarkers to characterize non-flow limiting subclinical coronary lesions...
- Assessment of vulnerable plaque composition by matching the deformation of a parametric plaque model to measured plaque deformationRadj A Baldewsing
Biomedical Engineering, room Ee 23 02, Thoraxcenter, Erasmus Medical Center Rotterdam, PO Box 1738, 3000 DR Rotterdam, The Netherlands
IEEE Trans Med Imaging 24:514-28. 2005..2/4 kPa, EM = 16.8/16, for the in vitro plaque EL = n.a./29, EM = n.a./647, EC = n.a./1784 kPa and for the in vivo plaque EL = n.a./2, EM = n.a./188, Ec = n.a./188 kPa...
- Finite element modeling and intravascular ultrasound elastography of vulnerable plaques: parameter variationRadj A Baldewsing
Biomedical Engineering, room Ee 23 02, Thoraxcenter, Erasmus Medical Center Rotterdam, P O Box 1738, Rotterdam 3000 DR, The Netherlands
Ultrasonics 42:723-9. 2004..To understand and quantify the influence of these parameters upon measured IVUS elastograms, they were varied in a finite element model (FEM) that simulates IVUS elastograms of vulnerable plaques...
- Intravascular elastography: from bench to bedsideChris L de Korte
Thoraxcenter, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, Interuniversity Cardiology Institute of The Netherlands, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Interv Cardiol 16:253-9. 2003..The development of three-dimensional elastography provides a technique that may develop into a clinical available tool for identifying the rupture-prone plaque...
- Contrast harmonic intravascular ultrasound: a feasibility study for vasa vasorum imagingDavid E Goertz
Biomedical Engineering Dept, Thoraxcenter, Erasmus Medical Centre, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Invest Radiol 41:631-8. 2006..We sought to investigate feasibility of vasa vasorum imaging using the novel technique of contrast harmonic intravascular ultrasound...
- [New insights towards catheter-based identification of vulnerable plaque]Gaston A Rodriguez-Granillo
Interventional Cardiology, Thoraxcenter, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Rev Esp Cardiol 58:1197-206. 2005..These new modalities have the potential to provide insights into the pathophysiology of the natural history of coronary plaque by means of prospective studies...
- Imaging of atherosclerosis. ElastographyStephane G Carlier
Cardiovascular Centre, OLV Hospital, Aalst, Belgium
J Cardiovasc Risk 9:237-45. 2002..In this paper, the approaches of the different research groups will be discussed and the focus will be on our approach to the application of intravascular elastography...
- Images in cardiovascular medicine. Detection of a vulnerable coronary plaque: a treatment dilemmaChourmouzios A Arampatzis
Catheterisation Laboratory, Thoraxcenter BD 410, Dr Molewaterplein 40, 3015 GD Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Circulation 108:e34-5. 2003