H A Pols
Affiliation: Erasmus University
Country: The Netherlands
- Multinational, placebo-controlled, randomized trial of the effects of alendronate on bone density and fracture risk in postmenopausal women with low bone mass: results of the FOSIT study. Fosamax International Trial Study GroupH A Pols
Erasmus University Medical School, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Osteoporos Int 9:461-8. 1999....
- Bone mineral density, bone metabolism and body composition of children with chronic renal failure, with and without growth hormone treatmentA M Boot
Department of Paediatrics, Sophia Children s Hospital, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 49:665-72. 1998..Only a few studies have been performed in children. The objective of this study was to evaluate bone mineral density (BMD), bone turnover, body composition in children with CRF and to study the effect of GH on these variables...
- Bone mineral density and body composition before and during treatment with gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist in children with central precocious and early pubertyA M Boot
Department of Pediatrics, Sophia Children s Hospital, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 83:370-3. 1998..Bone turnover decreased during treatment. Changes in body composition resembled those seen in patients with GH deficiency...
- Evidence for coordinated regulation of osteoblast function by 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 and parathyroid hormoneJ P van Leeuwen
Department of Internal Medicine III, Erasmus University Medical School, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Biochim Biophys Acta 1312:54-62. 1996..More generally it demonstrates on the basis of analyses of endogenous cellular responses evidence for an interplay between receptor-activated pathways of peptide and steroid hormones...
- Insulin and cognitive function in an elderly population. The Rotterdam StudyR P Stolk
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Erasmus University Medical School, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Diabetes Care 20:792-5. 1997..To examine the association between insulin and cognitive function in the population-based Rotterdam Study...
- Vitamin D receptor genotype is associated with radiographic osteoarthritis at the kneeA G Uitterlinden
Department of Internal Medicine III, Erasmus University Medical School, 3000 DR Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Invest 100:259-63. 1997..e., the collagen type IIa1 gene encoding the most abundant protein in cartilage, might contribute to the association...
- Bone density and body composition in chronic renal failure: effects of growth hormone treatmentI M van der Sluis
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Endocrinology and Nephrology, Sophia Children s Hospital Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Pediatr Nephrol 15:221-8. 2000..Adequate treatment with alpha-calcidiol or the short duration of renal failure may have attributed to the absence of osteopenia in our patients. BMD of the axial skeleton and growth improved with GHRx...
- A polymorphism in the glucocorticoid receptor gene may be associated with and increased sensitivity to glucocorticoids in vivoN A Huizenga
Department of Internal Medicine III, Dijkzigt University Hospital, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 83:144-51. 1998..Life-long exposure to the mutated allele may be accompanied by an increased BMI and a lowered BMD in the lumbar spine but does not affect blood pressure...
- Lack of association between five polymorphisms in the human glucocorticoid receptor gene and glucocorticoid resistanceJ W Koper
Department of Internal Medicine III, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Dijkzigt University Hospital, The Netherlands
Hum Genet 99:663-8. 1997..Although relative resistance to glucocorticoids seems to be rather frequent in otherwise healthy persons, it is not usually associated with mutations or polymorphisms in the glucocorticoid receptor gene...
- Estrogen receptor alpha gene polymorphisms and bone mineral density in healthy children and young adultsA M Boot
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Endocrinology, Erasmus MC Sophia Children s Hospital, P O Box 2060, 3000 CB, The Netherlands
Calcif Tissue Int 74:495-500. 2004..The age of menarche was not related to any of the haplotypes in girls. The present study shows that Pvull-Xbal ERalpha gene polymorphism is associated with BMD during childhood...
- Prevalence and causes of visual field loss in the elderly and associations with impairment in daily functioning: the Rotterdam StudyR S Ramrattan
Department of Epidemiology, Erasmus University Medical School, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Arch Ophthalmol 119:1788-94. 2001..Glaucoma is the leading cause in all age groups. Other high-ranking causes, some of which are partly preventable, vary by age...
- Markers of inflammation and cellular adhesion molecules in relation to insulin resistance in nondiabetic elderly: the Rotterdam studyA E Hak
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Erasmus Medical Center Rotterdam, 3000 DR Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:4398-405. 2001..These factors may contribute to the well-known relationship between insulin resistance and cardiovascular disease risk and might potentially become therapeutic targets in insulin resistant subjects...
- A polymorphism in the gene for IGF-I: functional properties and risk for type 2 diabetes and myocardial infarctionN Vaessen
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, the Center for Biomedical Genetics, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Diabetes 50:637-42. 2001..4 (95% CI 1.1-11.3). Our study suggests that a genetically determined exposure to relatively low IGF-I levels is associated with an increased risk for type 2 diabetes and myocardial infarction...
- Interaction between the vitamin D receptor gene and collagen type Ialpha1 gene in susceptibility for fractureA G Uitterlinden
Department of Internal Medicine, Erasmus University Medical School, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Bone Miner Res 16:379-85. 2001..Our data indicate that interlocus interaction is likely to be an important component of osteoporotic fracture risk...
- Association of the Frizzled-related protein gene with symptomatic osteoarthritis at multiple sitesJ L Min
Leiden University Medical Center, Section of Molecular Epidemiology, Leiden, The Netherlands
Arthritis Rheum 52:1077-80. 2005..To confirm the association of 2 variants of the Frizzled-related protein gene (FRZB) with osteoarthritis (OA) of the hip, and to investigate whether these variants also associate with other heritable generalized OA phenotypes...