Affiliation: Erasmus MC
Country: The Netherlands
- Kuiken T, Kennedy S, Barrett T, van de Bildt M, Borgsteede F, Brew S, et al. The 2000 canine distemper epidemic in Caspian seals (Phoca caspica): pathology and analysis of contributory factors. Vet Pathol. 2006;43:321-38 pubmed..Several infectious and parasitic organisms, including poxvirus, Atopobacter phocae, Eimeria- and Sarcocystis-like organisms, and Halarachne sp. were identified in Caspian seals for the first time...
- Kuiken T, Taubenberger J. Pathology of human influenza revisited. Vaccine. 2008;26 Suppl 4:D59-66 pubmed..Further understanding and comparison of the pathology of human and avian influenza virus infections only can be achieved by directed and careful pathological analysis of additional influenza cases...
- Kuiken T. Is low pathogenic avian influenza virus virulent for wild waterbirds?. Proc Biol Sci. 2013;280:20130990 pubmed publisher..Based on this correlation, together with the demonstrated LPAIV tropism for the intestinal tract, I hypothesize that LPAIV reduces digestive tract function, and suggest how future studies could be directed to test this hypothesis...
- van Riel D, Leijten L, de Graaf M, Siegers J, Short K, Spronken M, et al. Novel avian-origin influenza A (H7N9) virus attaches to epithelium in both upper and lower respiratory tract of humans. Am J Pathol. 2013;183:1137-1143 pubmed publisher..With the caveat that virus attachment is only the first step in the virus replication cycle, these results suggest that the emerging H7N9 virus has the potential both to transmit efficiently among humans and to cause severe pneumonia. ..
- Kuiken T, Buijs P, van Run P, van Amerongen G, Koopmans M, van den Hoogen B. Pigeon paramyxovirus type 1 from a fatal human case induces pneumonia in experimentally infected cynomolgus macaques (Macaca fascicularis). Vet Res. 2017;48:80 pubmed publisher..The results of this study demonstrate that PPMV-1 is a primary respiratory pathogen in cynomolgus macaques, and support the conclusion that PPMV-1 may cause fatal respiratory disease in immunocompromised human patients. ..