M I Geerlings
Affiliation: Erasmus University
Country: The Netherlands
- Depression and risk of cognitive decline and Alzheimer's disease. Results of two prospective community-based studies in The NetherlandsM I Geerlings
Institute for Research in Extramural Medicine, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Br J Psychiatry 176:568-75. 2000..Depression may be associated with cognitive decline in elderly people with impaired cognition...
- Reproductive period and risk of dementia in postmenopausal womenM I Geerlings
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Erasmus University Medical Center, PO Box 1738, 3000 DR Rotterdam, The Netherlands
JAMA 285:1475-81. 2001..Exogenous estrogen use may lower risk of dementia in postmenopausal women. A relationship between long-term exposure to endogenous estrogens and incident dementia has been hypothesized but not studied...
- Association between memory complaints and incident Alzheimer's disease in elderly people with normal baseline cognitionM I Geerlings
Department of Psychiatry, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Am J Psychiatry 156:531-7. 1999..Therefore, the authors hypothesized that memory complaints would predict incident Alzheimer's disease in elderly subjects with no signs of cognitive impairment...
- Education and incident Alzheimer's disease: a biased association due to selective attrition and use of a two-step diagnostic procedure?M I Geerlings
Institute for Research in Extramural Medicine EMGO Institute, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam
Int J Epidemiol 28:492-7. 1999..Both phenomena may lead to misclassification, resulting in a biased association between level of education and AD. This study investigated to what extent these selection mechanisms may influence this association...
- Subjective memory complaints in the elderly: depressive symptoms and future dementiaB Schmand
Amsterdam Study of the Elderly AMSTEL Project, Department of Psychiatry, Vrije Universiteit, The Netherlands
Br J Psychiatry 171:373-6. 1997..These complaints have some predictive power regarding the development of dementia. The present study attempted to replicate this finding, and investigated which variables determine subjective memory complaints...
- Risk factors for depression in later life; results of a prospective community based study (AMSTEL)R A Schoevers
Department of Psychiatry, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Valeriusplein 9, 1075 BG, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Affect Disord 59:127-37. 2000..The current prospective study tests an etiologic model for depression incidence, by assessing modifying effects of three types of vulnerability: genetic/familial vulnerability, organic vulnerability, and environmental vulnerability...
- APOE-epsilon4 is associated with memory decline in cognitively impaired elderlyM G Dik
Institute for Research in Extramural Medicine EMGO Institute, and the Department of Psychiatry, Vrije Universiteit, The Netherlands
Neurology 54:1492-7. 2000..To investigate whether the association between APOE-epsilon4 and memory decline is modified by baseline cognition and age in a population-based elderly sample...
- Depression and excess mortality: evidence for a dose response relation in community living elderlyR A Schoevers
VU University Medical Center, Department of Psychiatry, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 24:169-76. 2009..Depression is associated with an increased mortality risk. It is not known to what extent depression characteristics such as severity and length of exposure to depression contribute to the association with excess mortality...
- Are memory complaints predictive for dementia? A review of clinical and population-based studiesC Jonker
Institute for Research in Extramural Medicine EMGO Institute, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 15:983-91. 2000..To review studies that have reported on the prevalence of memory complaints and the relationship between memory complaints and impairment or decline (dementia) in elderly individuals...