Affiliation: Erasmus MC
Country: The Netherlands
- Unacylated ghrelin acts as a potent insulin secretagogue in glucose-stimulated conditionsCarlotta Gauna
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Internal Medicine, Erasmus Medical Centre, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 293:E697-704. 2007..Our data demonstrate that, in glucose-stimulated conditions, exogenous UAG acts as a potent insulin secretagogue, whereas endogenous AG exerts a maximal tonic inhibition on glucose-induced insulin release...
- Unacylated ghrelin is active on the INS-1E rat insulinoma cell line independently of the growth hormone secretagogue receptor type 1a and the corticotropin releasing factor 2 receptorCarlotta Gauna
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Internal Medicine, Erasmus MC, Dr Molewaterplein 50, 3015 GE, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Mol Cell Endocrinol 251:103-11. 2006..Our data support the existence of a specific receptor for UAG, other than the CRF2R and GHS-R1a. The stimulatory effect on insulin secretion by AG in this cell line is mediated by the GHS-R1a...
- Bolus administration of obestatin does not change glucose and insulin levels neither in the systemic nor in the portal circulation of the ratRosalie M Kiewiet
Department of Internal Medicine, Section of Endocrinology, Erasmus University Medical Centre, PO Box 2040, 3000 CA Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Peptides 29:2144-9. 2008..In the present study, we demonstrated that intravenously administered obestatin does not influence glucose and insulin concentrations, neither in the portal nor in the systemic circulation...
- Intravenous glucose administration in fasting rats has differential effects on acylated and unacylated ghrelin in the portal and systemic circulation: a comparison between portal and peripheral concentrations in anesthetized ratsCarlotta Gauna
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Internal Medicine, Room Ee542, Erasmus Medical Center, Dr Molewaterplein 50, 3015 GE, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Endocrinology 148:5278-87. 2007..Thus, our results suggest that peripheral AG metabolic regulation and action are mainly confined within the gastrointestinal tract...
- Ghrelin stimulates, whereas des-octanoyl ghrelin inhibits, glucose output by primary hepatocytesCarlotta Gauna
Department of Internal Medicine, Section of Endocrinology, Erasmus MC, 3015 GE Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:1055-60. 2005..These actions might be mediated by a different receptor than GHS-R1a, and apparently, we must consider AG and UAG as separate hormones that can modify each other's actions on glucose handling, at least in the liver...
- Unsaturated fatty acids prevent desensitization of the human growth hormone secretagogue receptor by blocking its internalizationPatric J D Delhanty
Department of Internal Medicine, Erasmus Medical Centre, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 299:E497-505. 2010....
- Ghrelin secretion is inhibited by glucose load and insulin-induced hypoglycaemia but unaffected by glucagon and arginine in humansFabio Broglio
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Internal Medicine, Erasmus University of Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 61:503-9. 2004..Whether hyperglycaemia and insulin directly inhibit ghrelin secretion still remains matter of debate. The aim of the present study was therefore to investigate further the regulatory effects of glucose and insulin on ghrelin secretion...
- Unacylated ghrelin is not a functional antagonist but a full agonist of the type 1a growth hormone secretagogue receptor (GHS-R)Carlotta Gauna
Department of Internal Medicine, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Mol Cell Endocrinol 274:30-4. 2007..Where local concentrations of UAG may reach the high nanomolar to micromolar range, assignment of GHS-R independent effects should be made with caution...
- Acetylcholine regulates ghrelin secretion in humansFabio Broglio
Department of Internal Medicine, Erasmus University of Rotterdam, Rotterdam 3015, The Netherlands
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:2429-33. 2004..Thus, ghrelin secretion is under cholinergic, namely muscarinic, control in humans. The variations in circulating ghrelin levels induced by PD and PZ are unlikely to mediate the cholinergic influence on GH secretion...
- Unacylated ghrelin and obestatin increase islet cell mass and prevent diabetes in streptozotocin-treated newborn ratsRiccarda Granata
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Turin, Turin, Italy
J Mol Endocrinol 45:9-17. 2010..Taken together, our results suggest that in STZ-treated newborn rats, UAG and Ob improve glucose metabolism and preserve islet cell mass, granting a therapeutic potential in medical conditions associated with impaired beta-cell function...
- The endocrine response to ghrelin as a function of gender in humans in young and elderly subjectsFabio Broglio
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Turin, 10126 Turin, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:1537-42. 2003..The effect of ghrelin on lactotroph and corticotroph secretion is age and gender independent. In both ES and YS, ghrelin influences insulin secretion and glucose metabolism...
- Ghrelin secretion is inhibited by either somatostatin or cortistatin in humansFabio Broglio
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Turin, Turin, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:4829-32. 2002..05) than those at baseline. In conclusion, this study first shows that SRIF and CST strongly inhibits ghrelin secretion that, differently from GH and insulin secretion, persists inhibited even after stopping the infusion of SRIF or CST...
- Ghrelin and the endocrine pancreasFabio Broglio
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Turin, Ospedale Molinette, Corso Dogliotti 14, 10126 Turin, Italy
Endocrine 22:19-24. 2003..This evidence indicates that the endocrine pancreas plays a role in directly or indirectly modulating ghrelin secretion...