Affiliation: Canisius Wilhelmina Hospital
Country: The Netherlands
- A multi-center blinded study on the efficiency of phenotypic screening methods to detect glycopeptide intermediately susceptible Staphylococcus aureus (GISA) and heterogeneous GISA (h-GISA)Andreas Voss
Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen University Centre of Infectious Diseases, The Netherlands
Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob 6:9. 2007..To determine the true incidence of hGISA/GISA and its consequent clinical impact, methods must be defined that will reliably and reproducibly discriminate these resistant phenotypes from vancomycin susceptible S. aureus (VSSA)...
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in pig farmingAndreas Voss
Radboud University Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Emerg Infect Dis 11:1965-6. 2005..While spa-type t108 is apparently a more widespread clone among pig farmers and their environment, we did find other spa-types...
- Ventilator associated pneumonia and infection controlEmine Alp
Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen University Centre for Infections, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob 5:7. 2006..VAP causes extra length of stay in hospital and intensive care units and increases hospital cost. Consequently, infection control policies are more rational and will save money...
- Community-acquired MRSA and pig-farmingXander W Huijsdens
National Institute for Public Health and the Environment RIVM, Diagnostic Laboratory for Infectious Diseases and Perinatal Screening, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob 5:26. 2006..Sporadic cases of CA-MRSA in persons without risk-factors for MRSA carriage are increasing...
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in veterinary doctors and students, the NetherlandsMireille Wulf
Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Emerg Infect Dis 12:1939-41. 2006..To preserve the low prevalence of MRSA in the Netherlands, persons involved in the care of livestock should be isolated and screened on admission to the hospital...
- Presence of a novel DNA methylation enzyme in methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus isolates associated with pig farming leads to uninterpretable results in standard pulsed-field gel electrophoresis analysisCorina C P M Bens
Department of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Regional Public Health Laboratory, Canisius Wilhelmina Hospital, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Clin Microbiol 44:1875-6. 2006..This is the result of a yet unknown restriction/methylation system in the genus Staphylococcus with the recognition sequence CCNGG...
- Mupirocin prophylaxis against nosocomial Staphylococcus aureus infections in nonsurgical patients: a randomized studyHeiman F L Wertheim
Department of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Erasmus University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Ann Intern Med 140:419-25. 2004..aureus infection. Studies show that intranasal mupirocin can prevent nosocomial surgical site infections. No data are available on the efficacy of mupirocin in nonsurgical patients...
- Associations between Staphylococcus aureus Genotype, Infection, and In-Hospital Mortality: A Nested Case-Control StudyHeiman F L Wertheim
Department of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Erasmus Medical Center, University Medical Center Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Infect Dis 192:1196-200. 2005..Those infected with S. aureus strains belonging to a CC had higher mortality than those infected with strains not belonging to a CC (P<.05), which indicates the coevolution of S. aureus virulence and spread in humans...
- Preventing the spread of MRSAAndreas Voss
BMJ 329:521. 2004
- Risk and outcome of nosocomial Staphylococcus aureus bacteraemia in nasal carriers versus non-carriersHeiman F L Wertheim
Erasmus MC, University Medical Centre, Rotterdam, Department of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Dr Molewaterplein 40, 3015 GD Rotterdam, Netherlands
Lancet 364:703-5. 2004..006). S aureus nasal carriers and non-carriers differ significantly in risk and outcome of nosocomial S aureus bacteraemia. Genotyping revealed that 80% of strains causing bacteraemia in carriers were endogenous...
- Emergence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus of animal origin in humansInge van Loo
Elisabeth Hospital, Tilburg, The Netherlands
Emerg Infect Dis 13:1834-9. 2007..This study shows that MRSA from an animal reservoir has recently entered the human population and is now responsible for >20% of all MRSA in the Netherlands...
- Genotypic analysis of Acinetobacter bloodstream infection isolates in a Turkish university hospitalEmine Alp
Department of Infectious Diseases, Erciyes University, Kayseri, Turkey
Scand J Infect Dis 38:335-40. 2006..Essential components of an infection control programme to prevent nosocomial transmission of A. baumannii are early detection of colonized patients, followed by strict attention to standard precautions and contact isolation...
- Compression entropy contributes to risk stratification in patients with cardiomyopathySandra Truebner
Department of Medical Engineering, University of Applied Sciences Jena, Jena, Germany
Biomed Tech (Berl) 51:77-82. 2006..02). In conclusion, the implementation of non-linear compression entropy analysis in multivariate analysis seems to be useful for enhanced risk stratification of cardiac death, especially SCD, in ischaemic cardiomyopathy patients...
- Duration of antibiotic treatment: are even numbers odd?Emine Alp
J Antimicrob Chemother 56:441-2. 2005