M J Bonten
Country: The Netherlands
- Infection control in intensive care units and prevention of ventilator-associated pneumoniaM J Bonten
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Utrecht, The Netherlands
Semin Respir Infect 15:327-35. 2000..Notwithstanding the potential benefits of these interventions, such classic infection control measures as handwashing remain the cornerstone of infection prevention...
- [Ventilator-associated pneumonia; controversies with respect to diagnosis, pathogenesis, therapy and prevention]M J Bonten
afd Interne Geneeskunde, onderafd, Infectieziekten and Aids, Academisch Ziekenhuis, Utrecht
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 143:726-30. 1999..Routine SDD in ICU is discouraged. Decontamination of the oropharynx appears to be equally effective...
- Characteristics of polyclonal endemicity of Pseudomonas aeruginosa colonization in intensive care units. Implications for infection controlM J Bonten
Division of Infectious Diseases, University Hospital Utrecht, The Netherlands
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 160:1212-9. 1999..Endemicity of colonization with P. aeruginosa is characterized by polyclonality, and seems to be maintained by continuous admittance of colonized patients and selection pressure from antibiotics rather than by cross-acquisition...
- Selective digestive decontamination in patients in intensive care. The Dutch Working Group on Antibiotic PolicyM J Bonten
Departments of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Antimicrob Chemother 46:351-62. 2000..As long as the benefits of SDD (better patient survival, reduction in antibiotic use or improved cost-effectiveness) have not been firmly established, the routine use of SDD for mechanically ventilated patients is not advised...
- [What is to be done with vancomycin-resistant enterococcal infections?]M J Bonten
Universitair Medisch Centrum Utrecht, Heidelberglaan 100, 3584 CX Utrecht
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 144:2545-9. 2000..A reference laboratory should be created for uniform genotyping...
- Relationship between methodological trial quality and the effects of selective digestive decontamination on pneumonia and mortality in critically ill patientsC A van Nieuwenhoven
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases and AIDS, University Hospital, Heidelberglaan 100, 3584 CX Utrecht, The Netherlands
JAMA 286:335-40. 2001....
- Prevention of ventilator-associated pneumonia by oral decontamination: a prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled studyD C Bergmans
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 164:382-8. 2001..cross infection, prevention and control; respiration, artificial, adverse effects; antibiotics, administration and dosage infection control methods; pneumonia, etiology, prevention and control; intubation, intratracheal, adverse effects..
- [Optimizing antibiotics policy in the Netherlands. VI. SWAB advice: no selective decontamination of intensive care patients on mechanical ventilation]M J Bonten
Academisch Ziekenhuis, afd. Inwendige Geneeskunde, Utrecht
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 145:353-7. 2001..In the absence of clearly demonstrated advantages (decrease in mortality, reduction in the use of antibiotics, cost-effectiveness), the routine use of SD in IC patients on mechanical ventilation is not recommended...
- Understanding the spread of antibiotic resistant pathogens in hospitals: mathematical models as tools for controlM J Bonten
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases and AIDS, and Eijkman Winkler Institute for Microbiology, Infectious Diseases and Inflammation, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Clin Infect Dis 33:1739-46. 2001..In this study, we review several of the models that have been published and speculate on the usefulness of mathematical modeling for improving the prevention of infection...
- SWAB/NVALT (Dutch Working Party on Antibiotic Policy and Dutch Association of Chest Physicians) guidelines on the management of community-acquired pneumonia in adultsW J Wiersinga
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Neth J Med 70:90-101. 2012....