F W Wit
Affiliation: Academic Medical Center
Country: The Netherlands
- CC chemokine receptor 5 delta32 and CC chemokine receptor 2 64I polymorphisms do not influence the virologic and immunologic response to antiretroviral combination therapy in human immunodeficiency virus type 1-infected patientsFerdinand W N M Wit
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, Tropical Medicine and AIDS, National AIDS Therapy Evaluation Centre, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Infect Dis 186:1726-32. 2002....
- Outcome and predictors of failure of highly active antiretroviral therapy: one-year follow-up of a cohort of human immunodeficiency virus type 1-infected personsF W Wit
National AIDS Therapy Evaluation Center NATEC, Department of Infectious Diseases, Tropical Medicine, and AIDS, Division of Internal Medicine, Academic Medical Center, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Infect Dis 179:790-8. 1999..This was significantly more frequent for regimens containing saquinavir (62%; 27% for virologic failure) or ritonavir (64%; 55% for intolerance) as single protease inhibitor...
- Discontinuation of nevirapine because of hypersensitivity reactions in patients with prior treatment experience, compared with treatment-naive patients: the ATHENA cohort studyFerdinand W N M Wit
Center for Poverty related Communicable Diseases, and Department of Infectious Diseases, Tropical Medicine and AIDS, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Infect Dis 46:933-40. 2008..It is unclear whether these guidelines also apply to treatment-experienced patients switching to NVP-based combination therapy...
- Incidence of and risk factors for severe hepatotoxicity associated with antiretroviral combination therapyFerdinand W N M Wit
National AIDS Therapy Evaluation Center, Department of Human Retrovirology, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Infect Dis 186:23-31. 2002..In 97% of cases, >or=1 risk factor was present. In HBV-coinfected patients using 3TC, continued use of 3TC should be considered, even if 3TC-resistant HIV strains develop...
- Experience with nevirapine in previously treated HIV-1-infected individualsF W Wit
National AIDS Therapy Evaluation Centre, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Antivir Ther 5:257-66. 2000..To assess the tolerability, virological, immunological and clinical effects of nevirapine in the setting of a compassionate use programme in pretreated HIV-infected individuals...
- Increased risk of lipodystrophy when nucleoside analogue reverse transcriptase inhibitors are included with protease inhibitors in the treatment of HIV-1 infectionM van der Valk
International Antiviral Therapy Evaluation Center, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
AIDS 15:847-55. 2001..The low incidence of lipodystrophy in patients with no or limited NRTI exposure supports further evaluation of NRTI-sparing regimens as alternatives to current antiretroviral regimens...
- Pharmacokinetic parameters of nevirapine and efavirenz in relation to antiretroviral efficacyF Van Leth
International Antiviral Therapy Evaluation Center, Department of Internal Medicine, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, 1005 Amsterdam, The Netherlands
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 22:232-9. 2006....
- Comparison of first-line antiretroviral therapy with regimens including nevirapine, efavirenz, or both drugs, plus stavudine and lamivudine: a randomised open-label trial, the 2NN StudyF van Leth
International Antiviral Therapy Evaluation Center, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, Netherlands
Lancet 363:1253-63. 2004..The 2NN Study was a randomised comparison of the non-nucleoside reverse-transcriptase inhibitors (NNRTI) nevirapine and efavirenz...
- Prednisolone does not prevent hypersensitivity reactions in antiretroviral drug regimens containing abacavir with or without nevirapineF W Wit
International Antiviral Therapy Evaluation Center, Department of Human Retrovirology and Department of Internal Medicine, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
AIDS 15:2423-9. 2001..Short-term therapy with prednisolone did not prevent HSR in patients using ABC with or without NVP...
- Occult hepatitis B virus infection before and 1 year after start of HAART in HIV type 1-positive patientsK Pogany
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, Tropical Medicine, and AIDS, National AIDS Trial and Evaluation Center NATEC, Academic Medical Center, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 21:922-6. 2005..Our results illustrate that occult HBV infection is more a diagnostic than a clinical problem. It may be caused by very low levels of HBV replication, concurrent presence of HBsAg and anti-HBs, or mutations in the HBsAg a determinant...
- Ketoconazole is inferior to ritonavir as an alternative booster for saquinavir in a once daily regimen in Thai HIV-1 infected patientsReshma Saskia Autar
HIV Netherlands Australia Thailand Research Collaboration HIV NAT, Thai Red Cross Aids Research Centre TRCARC, 104 Rajdumri Road, 10330 Pathumwan, Bangkok, Thailand
AIDS 21:1535-9. 2007..However, toxicity, storage conditions and high costs of antiretroviral treatment may necessitate interruption of ritonavir. Ketoconazole was investigated as a potential booster of once-daily (o.d.) saquinavir...
- Efavirenz: a reviewSaskia M E Vrouenraets
IATEC, Pietersbergweg 9, 1105 BM Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Expert Opin Pharmacother 8:851-71. 2007..This review outlines important and recent pharmacological and clinical data, which explain why efavirenz became a component of preferred treatment regimens today...
- Implementation of an antiretroviral access program for HIV-1-infected individuals in resource-limited settings: clinical results from 4 African countriesPapa S Sow
Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Fann, Dakar, Senegal
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 44:262-7. 2007..HIV-1 screening, therapy, counseling, monitoring, training, and education were provided free of charge...
- A phase I/IIa study with succinylated human serum albumin (Suc-HSA), a candidate HIV-1 fusion inhibitorJoost N Vermeulen
IATEC, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Antivir Ther 12:273-8. 2007..5-5.0 microg/ml). Suc-HSA was safe in rats and monkeys, and showed antiretroviral effect in a human-to-mouse model. We evaluated safety and pharmacokinetics of single and multiple doses of Suc-HSA in HIV-1-infected individuals...
- Nevirapine plasma concentrations and concomitant use of rifampin in patients coinfected with HIV-1 and tuberculosisReshma S Autar
The HIV Netherlands Australia Thailand Research Collaboration, Thai Red Cross AIDS Research Center, Bangkok, Thailand
Antivir Ther 10:937-43. 2005..However, limited data are available about whether or not nevirapine and rifampin can be safely coadministered without the plasma concentration of nevirapine falling below therapeutic levels...
- Improved long-term suppression of HIV-1 replication with a triple-class multidrug regimen compared with standard of care antiretroviral therapyRieneke M E van Praag
National AIDS Therapy Evaluation Center NATEC, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, Tropical Medicine and AIDS, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
AIDS 16:719-25. 2002..In a large percentage of such patients, more sensitive assays provide evidence of residual viral replication. The question is whether more potent therapy can further suppress this residual replication...
- Interindividual variability of once-daily ritonavir boosted saquinavir pharmacokinetics in Thai and UK patientsReshma Saskia Autar
The HIV Netherlands Australia Thailand Research Collaboration, Thai Red Cross AIDS Research Centre, Bangkok, 104 Rajdumri Road, 10330 Pathumwan, Bangkok, Thailand
J Antimicrob Chemother 56:908-13. 2005..Differential exposure to saquinavir/ritonavir may lead to therapy failure. The objective was to identify factors that influence variability of saquinavir/ritonavir plasma concentrations...
- Nelfinavir plasma concentrations are low during pregnancyJeannine F J B Nellen
Academic Medical Center, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, Tropical Medicine, and AIDS, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Infect Dis 39:736-40. 2004..After we adjusted for confounders, we found that the mean nelfinavir CR was 34% lower in pregnant women (P=.02). With targeted interventions, subsequent CRs in pregnant women showed a significant increase (median increase, 0.31; P=.01)...
- Discordant responses during antiretroviral therapy: role of immune activation and T cell redistribution rather than true CD4 T cell lossMette D Hazenberg
Department of Clinical Viro Immunology, Sanquin Research, CLB and Landsteiner Laboratory, Academic Medical Centre, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
AIDS 16:1287-9. 2002..Low reactivity to rebounding virus may preserve normal T lymphocyte distribution over blood and tissues and be associated with stable peripheral blood T cell numbers in virological failures to HAART...
- Plasma HIV-1 RNA decline within the first two weeks of treatment is comparable for nevirapine, efavirenz, or both drugs combined and is not predictive of long-term virologic efficacy: A 2NN substudyFrank van Leth
International Antiviral Therapy Evaluation Center, Department of Internal Medicine, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 38:296-300. 2005..We compared the rate of pVL decline in patients starting ART with nevirapine (NVP), efavirenz (EFV), or both drugs combined in addition to lamivudine (3TC) and stavudine (d4T)...