Affiliation: Academic Medical Center
Country: The Netherlands
- A students' survey of cultural competence as a basis for identifying gaps in the medical curriculumConny Seeleman
Department of Public Health, Academic Medical Centre, University of Amsterdam, P, O, Box 22660, 1100 DE Amsterdam, The Netherlands
BMC Med Educ 14:216. 2014....
- The first contacts between healthcare providers and newly-arrived asylum seekers: a qualitative study about which issues need to be addressedJ Suurmond
Academic Medical Centre, University of Amsterdam, Dept of Social Medicine, P O Box 22660, 1100 DD Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Public Health 127:668-73. 2013..The purpose of this study is to give insight in the specific issues that healthcare providers need to address in the first contacts with newly arrived asylum seekers...
- Issues to address in burn care for ethnic minority children: a qualitative study of the experiences of health care staffJ Suurmond
Academic Medical Center University of Amsterdam, Department of Social Medicine, P O Box 22660, 1100 DD Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Burns 38:730-7. 2012..A qualitative interview study was conducted to gain more insight into burn care for ethnic minority children and the potential challenges this presents...
- Negative health care experiences of immigrant patients: a qualitative studyJeanine Suurmond
Academic Medical Centre University of Amsterdam, Department of Social Medicine, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
BMC Health Serv Res 11:10. 2011..Patients' perceptions of negative events are regarded as a potentially important source of information about the quality of health care. We explored negative events in hospital care as perceived by immigrant patients...
- Cultural competence among nurse practitioners working with asylum seekersJeanine Suurmond
Academic Medical Centre, University of Amsterdam, Dept of Public Health, P O Box 22660, 1100 DD Amsterdam, Netherlands
Nurse Educ Today 30:821-6. 2010..We conclude that insight into these cultural competences may help to develop related education and training for health care providers working with asylum seekers...
- Explaining ethnic disparities in patient safety: a qualitative analysisJeanine Suurmond
Department of Social Medicine, Academic Medical Centre University of Amsterdam, PO Box 22660, 1100 DD Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Am J Public Health 100:S113-7. 2010..We explored characteristics of in-hospital care and treatment of immigrant patients to better understand the processes underlying ethnic disparities in patient safety...
- Shared decision-making in an intercultural context. Barriers in the interaction between physicians and immigrant patientsJeanine Suurmond
University of Amsterdam Academic Medical Center, Department of Social Medicine, P O Box 22700, 1100 DE Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Patient Educ Couns 60:253-9. 2006..The objective of this exploratory paper is to describe several barriers in shared decision-making in an intercultural context...
- Ethnic variations in unplanned readmissions and excess length of hospital stay: a nationwide record-linked cohort studyMartine C de Bruijne
1 Department of Public and Occupational Health, EMGO Institute for Health and Care Research, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Public Health 23:964-71. 2013..Studies in the USA have shown ethnic inequalities in quality of hospital care, but in Europe, this has never been analysed. We explored variations in indicators of quality of hospital care by ethnicity in the Netherlands...
- Cultural competence: a conceptual framework for teaching and learningConny Seeleman
Department of Social Medicine, Academic Medical Centre, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Med Educ 43:229-37. 2009..This paper proposes such a framework...
- Racism in health and health care in Europe: where does the Netherlands stand?Charles Agyemang
Department of Social Medicine Academic Medical Centre, University of Amsterdam, Postbus 22660, 1100 DD Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Public Health 17:240-1. 2007