Affiliation: Academic Medical Center
Country: The Netherlands
- Hypercoagulability in the metabolic syndromeMax Nieuwdorp
Department of Vascular Medicine, AMC, Meibergdreef 9 room F4 159 2, 1100 DD Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Curr Opin Pharmacol 5:155-9. 2005..In view of the rising incidence of metabolic syndrome even at a young age, both the incidence of venous thromboembolism and the effect of intervention on markers of hypercoagulability in metabolic syndrome call for further studies...
- Fecal transplant: a safe and sustainable clinical therapy for restoring intestinal microbial balance in human disease?A Vrieze
Department of Internal Medicine, AMC, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 27:127-37. 2013....
- The environment within: how gut microbiota may influence metabolism and body compositionA Vrieze
Department of Internal and Vascular Medicine, Academic Medical Centre, Meibergdreef 9, Room F4 159 2, 1105, AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Diabetologia 53:606-13. 2010..This review discusses the relationships between the following: composition of gut microbiota, energy extracted from diet, synthesis of gut hormones involved in energy homeostasis, production of butyrate and the regulation of fat storage...
- Role of the microbiome in energy regulation and metabolismMax Nieuwdorp
Department of Vascular Medicine, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands Wallenberg Laboratory, Sahlgrenska Center for Cardiovascular and Metabolic Research, University of Goteborg, Goteborg, Sweden Electronic address
Gastroenterology 146:1525-33. 2014..We discuss how controlled studies involving direct perturbations of microbial communities in human and animal models are required to identify effective therapeutic targets in the microbiota...
- Identification of candidate genes linking systemic inflammation to atherosclerosis; results of a human in vivo LPS infusion studySuthesh Sivapalaratnam
Department of Vascular Medicine, Academic Medical Center, Meibergdreef 15, 1105 AZ, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
BMC Med Genomics 4:64. 2011..Such differentially expressed genes in circulating monocytes would be strong candidates for further investigation in disease association studies...
- Perturbation of hyaluronan metabolism predisposes patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus to atherosclerosisM Nieuwdorp
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Amsterdam, Meibergdreef 9, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Diabetologia 50:1288-93. 2007..In the present study, we evaluated the relationship between hyaluronan and hyaluronidase with carotid intima-media thickness (cIMT), an established surrogate marker for cardiovascular disease...
- The therapeutic potential of manipulating gut microbiota in obesity and type 2 diabetes mellitusR S Kootte
Department of Vascular Medicine, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Diabetes Obes Metab 14:112-20. 2012..Ultimately, we aim to translate these findings into therapeutic pathways for obesity and T2DM in humans...
- Effect of sulodexide on endothelial glycocalyx and vascular permeability in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitusL N Broekhuizen
Department of Vascular Medicine, Academic Medical Centre, Room F4 211, Meibergdreef 9, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Diabetologia 53:2646-55. 2010..In the present study we set out to evaluate whether: (1) glycocalyx is perturbed in individuals with type 2 diabetes mellitus, and (2) oral glycocalyx precursor treatment improves glycocalyx properties...
- Obesity, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, and atherothrombosis: a role for the intestinal microbiota?M Knaapen
Department of Vascular Medicine, Academic Medical Centre, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Microbiol Infect 19:331-7. 2013..If substantiated, this could open the arena for modulation of the intestinal microbiota as a future target in obesity-associated disease, both as a diagnostic test for personalized algorithms and for selective therapeutic strategies...
- Tumor necrosis factor-alpha inhibition protects against endotoxin-induced endothelial glycocalyx perturbationM Nieuwdorp
Department of Vascular Medicine, Academic Medical Centre, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Atherosclerosis 202:296-303. 2009..In the present study, we investigated whether endotoxin-induced inflammatory reactions lead to a decrease of endothelial glycocalyx thickness in humans and whether tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNFalpha) plays a role in this process...
- Pathophysiology of hypertriglyceridemiaH C Hassing
Department of Vascular Medicine, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Biochim Biophys Acta 1821:826-32. 2012..Finally we will shortly discuss future perspectives for novel therapies aiming at improving triglyceride homeostasis. This article is part of a Special Issue entitled Triglyceride Metabolism and Disease...
- Normalization of metabolic syndrome using fenofibrate, metformin or their combinationM Nieuwdorp
Department of Vascular Medicine, Academic Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Diabetes Obes Metab 9:869-78. 2007..The aim of this study was to evaluate whether and to what extent fenofibrate (F), metformin (M) or a combination of these drugs improve characteristics of the metabolic syndrome (MetS)...
- Metabolic modulation of inflammation-induced activation of coagulationMarcel Levi
Department of Vascular Medicine Internal Medicine, Academic Medical Centre, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Semin Thromb Hemost 34:26-32. 2008..There are indications that this modulatory role of metabolic factors in inflammation and coagulation may also have an impact on clinical outcome in various disease states...
- Intestinal microbiota and faecal transplantation as treatment modality for insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes mellitusS D Udayappan
Department of Vascular Medicine, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Exp Immunol 177:24-9. 2014....
- Cardiovascular metabolic syndrome - an interplay of, obesity, inflammation, diabetes and coronary heart diseaseJ S Rana
Department of Vascular Medicine, Academic Medical Center Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Diabetes Obes Metab 9:218-32. 2007....
- Metabolic syndrome and risk of coronary, cerebral, and peripheral vascular disease in a large Dutch population with familial hypercholesterolemiaJamal S Rana
Department of Vascular Medicine, Academic Medical Center, Meibergdreef 9, Room F4 159 2, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, Netherlands
Diabetes Care 29:1125-7. 2006
- Endothelial glycocalyx damage coincides with microalbuminuria in type 1 diabetesMax Nieuwdorp
Department of Vascular Medicine, Academic Medical Center University of Amsterdam, Meibergdreef 9, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Diabetes 55:1127-32. 2006..In conclusion, type 1 diabetic patients are characterized by endothelial glycocalyx damage, the severity of which is increased in presence of microalbuminuria...
- Loss of endothelial glycocalyx during acute hyperglycemia coincides with endothelial dysfunction and coagulation activation in vivoMax Nieuwdorp
Department of Vascular Medicine, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, Netherlands
Diabetes 55:480-6. 2006..4 +/- 0.1 to 1.1 +/- 0.2 nmol/l; d-dimer: from 0.27 +/- 0.1 to 0.55 +/- 0.2 g/l; P < 0.05). Taken together, these data indicate a potential role for glycocalyx perturbation in mediating vascular dysfunction during hyperglycemia...
- Measuring endothelial glycocalyx dimensions in humans: a potential novel tool to monitor vascular vulnerabilityMax Nieuwdorp
Department of Vascular Medicine, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam
J Appl Physiol (1985) 104:845-52. 2008..It remains to be tested whether glycocalyx dimension can be used as an early marker of vascular damage and whether therapies aimed at glycocalyx repair can protect the vasculature against pathogenic challenges...