Wanda M Admiraal
Affiliation: Academic Medical Center
Country: The Netherlands
- Cold-induced activity of brown adipose tissue in young lean men of South-Asian and European originW M Admiraal
Department of Internal Medicine F4 215, Academic Medical Center, PO Box 22660, 1100DD, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Diabetologia 56:2231-7. 2013..We explored whether lower BAT activity in South Asians compared with Europids may contribute to the high risk of metabolic disturbance...
- Ethnic disparities in the association of impaired fasting glucose with the 10-year cumulative incidence of type 2 diabetesW M Admiraal
Department of Public Health, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands Department of Internal Medicine, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands Electronic address
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 103:127-32. 2014..We studied the association of impaired fasting glucose (IFG) and fasting plasma glucose (FPG) with the 10-year cumulative incidence of type 2 diabetes in three ethnic groups...
- Ethnicity influences weight loss 1 year after bariatric surgery: a study in Turkish, Moroccan, South Asian, African and ethnic Dutch patientsW M Admiraal
Department of Internal Medicine, Academic Medical Centre, Meibergdreef 9, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Obes Surg 23:1497-500. 2013..Therefore, it is important that prospective studies both determine ethnic differences in weight loss-related improvement of co-morbidities and elucidate the exact reasons for these ethnic disparities. ..
- Combining 123I-metaiodobenzylguanidine SPECT/CT and 18F-FDG PET/CT for the assessment of brown adipose tissue activity in humans during cold exposureWanda M Admiraal
Department of Internal Medicine, Academic Medical Center, 1100DD Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Nucl Med 54:208-12. 2013..Finally, we tried to establish the optimal time interval between (123)I-MIBG administration and subsequent SPECT/CT acquisition to visualize sympathetic stimulation of BAT...
- (18)F-fluorodeoxyglucose uptake in brown adipose tissue during insulin-induced hypoglycemia and mild cold exposure in non-diabetic adultsJosefine E Schopman
Department of Internal Medicine, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands Electronic address
Metabolism 63:1280-6. 2014..We therefore examined the effect of hypoglycemia on uptake of the labeled glucose analogue (18)F-fluorodeoxyglucose in brown adipose tissue using positron emission tomography and computer tomography...
- Fasting and postprandial activity of brown adipose tissue in healthy menAnne Vrieze
Department of Internal Medicine, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Nucl Med 53:1407-10. 2012..The role of brown adipose tissue (BAT) in adult metabolism is poorly understood. This study aimed to examine the differential effects of an overnight fast and the postprandial state on BAT activity...
- Intensive lifestyle intervention in general practice to prevent type 2 diabetes among 18 to 60-year-old South Asians: 1-year effects on the weight status and metabolic profile of participants in a randomized controlled trialWanda M Admiraal
Public Health, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 8:e68605. 2013..To study 1-year effectiveness of an intensive, culturally targeted lifestyle intervention in general practice for weight status and metabolic profile of South-Asians at risk of type 2 diabetes...
- Ethnic differences in weight loss and diabetes remission after bariatric surgery: a meta-analysisWanda M Admiraal
Department of Internal Medicine, Academic Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Diabetes Care 35:1951-8. 2012..We also studied differences in diabetes mellitus (DM) remission...
- Screening South Asians for type 2 diabetes and prediabetes: (1) comparing oral glucose tolerance and haemoglobin A1c test results and (2) comparing the two sets of metabolic profiles of individuals diagnosed with these two testsEverlina Ma Vlaar
Department of Public Health, Academic Medical Centre, University of Amsterdam, Meibergdreef 15, Amsterdam 1105 AZ, The Netherlands
BMC Endocr Disord 13:8. 2013..However, among the high-risk South Asian population, little is known about the overlap of the methods or about the metabolic profiles of those disconcordantly diagnosed...
- The Diabetes Pearl: Diabetes biobanking in The NetherlandsEsther Van't Riet
VU University Medical Center, EMGO Institute for Health and Care Research, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
BMC Public Health 12:949. 2012..The aim of the study is to create a research infrastructure that will allow the study of risk factors, including biomarkers and genetic determinants for severe diabetes complications...