Affiliation: Mahidol University
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
- Tarning J, McGready R, Lindegardh N, Ashley E, Pimanpanarak M, Kamanikom B, et al. Population pharmacokinetics of lumefantrine in pregnant women treated with artemether-lumefantrine for uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2009;53:3837-46 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, altered pharmacokinetic properties of lumefantrine contribute to the high rates of failure of artemether-lumefantrine treatment in later pregnancy. Dose optimization is urgently needed. ..
- Ashley E, Stepniewska K, Lindegardh N, Annerberg A, Tarning J, McGready R, et al. Comparison of plasma, venous and capillary blood levels of piperaquine in patients with uncomplicated falciparum malaria. Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2010;66:705-12 pubmed publisher..The aim of this study was to describe the relationship between piperaquine concentrations measured in capillary blood, venous blood and venous plasma...
- Tarning J, Singtoroj T, Annerberg A, Ashton M, Bergqvist Y, White N, et al. Development and validation of an automated solid phase extraction and liquid chromatographic method for the determination of piperaquine in urine. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2006;41:213-8 pubmed..0%, 5.2% and 9.8% at 5000, 500 and 50 ng/mL, respectively. The lower limit of quantification (LLOQ) was set to 3 ng/mL using 1 mL of urine, which could be lowered to 0.33 ng/mL when using 9 mL of urine and an increased injection volume. ..
- Simpson J, Jamsen K, Price R, White N, Lindegardh N, Tarning J, et al. Towards optimal design of anti-malarial pharmacokinetic studies. Malar J. 2009;8:189 pubmed publisher..It is unethical to continue conducting population pharmacokinetic studies when the sampling schedule may be insufficient to estimate precisely the pharmacokinetic profile. ..
- Dondorp A, Nosten F, Yi P, Das D, Phyo A, Tarning J, et al. Artemisinin resistance in Plasmodium falciparum malaria. N Engl J Med. 2009;361:455-67 pubmed publisher..Containment measures are urgently needed. (ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT00493363, and Current Controlled Trials number, ISRCTN64835265.) ..
- Maude R, Plewes K, Faiz M, Hanson J, Charunwatthana P, Lee S, et al. Does artesunate prolong the electrocardiograph QT interval in patients with severe malaria?. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2009;80:126-32 pubmed..No effect was observed on the JTc or PR interval, QRS width, blood pressure, or heart rate. Intravenous artesunate does not have significant cardiovascular effects in patients with severe falciparum malaria. ..
- Wattanagoon Y, Stepniewska K, Lindegardh N, Pukrittayakamee S, Silachamroon U, Piyaphanee W, et al. Pharmacokinetics of high-dose oseltamivir in healthy volunteers. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2009;53:945-52 pubmed publisher..Probenecid coadministration may allow considerable dose saving for oseltamivir, but more information on OC penetration into respiratory secretions is needed to devise appropriate dose regimens. ..
- Tarning J, Ashley E, Lindegardh N, Stepniewska K, Phaiphun L, Day N, et al. Population pharmacokinetics of piperaquine after two different treatment regimens with dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine in patients with Plasmodium falciparum malaria in Thailand. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2008;52:1052-61 pubmed publisher..Our data lend further support to a simplified once-daily treatment regimen to improve treatment adherence and efficacy and indicate that weight-adjusted piperaquine doses in children may need to be higher than in adults. ..
- Tarning J, Lindegardh N, Sandberg S, Day N, White N, Ashton M. Pharmacokinetics and metabolism of the antimalarial piperaquine after intravenous and oral single doses to the rat. J Pharm Sci. 2008;97:3400-10 pubmed..The similarity with results in humans indicates the rat to be a suitable species for nonclinical in vivo piperaquine studies. ..
- Tarning J, Lindegardh N. Quantification of the antimalarial piperaquine in plasma. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2008;102:409-11 pubmed publisher..Five of these allow for quantification of piperaquine in plasma and are discussed in this paper. ..
- Tarning J, Bergqvist Y, Day N, Bergquist J, Arvidsson B, White N, et al. Characterization of human urinary metabolites of the antimalarial piperaquine. Drug Metab Dispos. 2006;34:2011-9 pubmed..Assuming formation rate-limiting kinetics, this would support recent findings that the terminal elimination half-life of PQ has been underestimated previously. ..
- Singtoroj T, Tarning J, Annerberg A, Ashton M, Bergqvist Y, White N, et al. A new approach to evaluate regression models during validation of bioanalytical assays. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2006;41:219-27 pubmed..The results showed that log-log transformation without weighting was the simplest model to fit the calibration data and ensure good predictability for this data set. ..
- Tarning J, Lindegardh N, Annerberg A, Singtoroj T, Day N, Ashton M, et al. Pitfalls in estimating piperaquine elimination. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2005;49:5127-8 pubmed..This result illustrates the importance of extended sampling duration and sensitive assay methodologies in characterizing the disposition of slowly eliminated antimalarial drugs. ..
- Hien T, Hanpithakpong W, Truong N, Dung N, Toi P, Farrar J, et al. Orally formulated artemisinin in healthy fasting Vietnamese male subjects: a randomized, four-sequence, open-label, pharmacokinetic crossover study. Clin Ther. 2011;33:644-54 pubmed publisher....
- Saralamba S, Pan Ngum W, Maude R, Lee S, Tarning J, Lindegardh N, et al. Intrahost modeling of artemisinin resistance in Plasmodium falciparum. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:397-402 pubmed publisher..This result supports the hypothesis that artemisinin resistance mainly reflects reduced ring-stage susceptibility and predicts that doubling the frequency of dosing will accelerate clearance of artemisinin-resistant parasites. ..
- Ali S, Najmi M, Tarning J, Lindegardh N. Pharmacokinetics of artemether and dihydroartemisinin in healthy Pakistani male volunteers treated with artemether-lumefantrine. Malar J. 2010;9:275 pubmed publisher..The overall pharmacokinetic properties of artemether and dihydroartemisinin in healthy Pakistani subjects are comparable to healthy subjects and patients from other populations. ..
- Lindegardh N, Tarning J, Toi P, Hien T, Farrar J, Singhasivanon P, et al. Quantification of artemisinin in human plasma using liquid chromatography coupled to tandem mass spectrometry. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2009;49:768-73 pubmed publisher..The limit of detection was 0.257 ng/mL for artemisinin and the calibration range was 1.03-762 ng/mL using 50 microL plasma. The method was free from matrix effects as demonstrated both graphically and quantitatively. ..
- Sadiq M, Tharaphan P, Chotivanich K, Tarning J, Anal A. In vitro antioxidant and antimalarial activities of leaves, pods and bark extracts of Acacia nilotica (L.) Del. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17:372 pubmed publisher..falciparum. A. nilotica extracts showed promising antimalarial and antioxidant effects. However, further investigation is needed to isolate and identify the active components responsible for the antimalarial and antioxidant effects. ..
- Tarning J, Chotsiri P, Jullien V, Rijken M, Bergstrand M, Cammas M, et al. Population pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic modeling of amodiaquine and desethylamodiaquine in women with Plasmodium vivax malaria during and after pregnancy. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2012;56:5764-73 pubmed publisher..2% to 7.4% at day 35. In conclusion, pregnancy did not have a clinically relevant impact on the pharmacokinetic properties of amodiaquine or desethylamodiaquine. No dose adjustments are required in pregnancy...
- Tarning J, Rijken M, McGready R, Phyo A, Hanpithakpong W, Day N, et al. Population pharmacokinetics of dihydroartemisinin and piperaquine in pregnant and nonpregnant women with uncomplicated malaria. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2012;56:1997-2007 pubmed publisher..The clinical impact of these pharmacokinetic findings in pregnant women with uncomplicated malaria needs to be evaluated in larger series. ..
- Lourens C, Lindegardh N, Barnes K, Guerin P, Sibley C, White N, et al. Benefits of a pharmacology antimalarial reference standard and proficiency testing program provided by the Worldwide Antimalarial Resistance Network (WWARN). Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2014;58:3889-94 pubmed publisher..It is a model that has potential to be applied to strengthening laboratories more widely and improving the therapeutics of other infectious diseases. ..
- Jittamala P, Pukrittayakamee S, Ashley E, Nosten F, Hanboonkunupakarn B, Lee S, et al. Pharmacokinetic interactions between primaquine and pyronaridine-artesunate in healthy adult Thai subjects. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2015;59:505-13 pubmed publisher..Pyronaridine, like chloroquine and piperaquine, increases plasma primaquine concentrations. (This study has been registered at ClinicalTrials.gov under registration no. NCT01552330.). ..
- Kloprogge F, McGready R, Hanpithakpong W, Blessborn D, Day N, White N, et al. Lumefantrine and Desbutyl-Lumefantrine Population Pharmacokinetic-Pharmacodynamic Relationships in Pregnant Women with Uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum Malaria on the Thailand-Myanmar Border. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2015;59:6375-84 pubmed publisher..Simulations suggested that cure rates in pregnant women with falciparum malaria could be increased by prolonging the treatment course. (These trials were registered at controlled-trials.com [ISRCTN 86353884].). ..
- Awab G, Imwong M, Pukrittayakamee S, Alim F, Hanpithakpong W, Tarning J, et al. Clinical trials of artesunate plus sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine for Plasmodium falciparum malaria in Afghanistan: maintained efficacy a decade after introduction. Malar J. 2016;15:121 pubmed publisher..Trial Registration http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct NCT00682578, NCT01115439 and NCT01707199. ..
- Sadiq M, Tarning J, Aye Cho T, Anal A. Antibacterial Activities and Possible Modes of Action of Acacia nilotica (L.) Del. against Multidrug-Resistant Escherichia coli and Salmonella. Molecules. 2017;22: pubmed publisher..This study indicates that A. nilotica can be a potential source of new antimicrobials, effective against antibiotic-resistant strains of pathogens. ..
- Lohy Das J, Dondorp A, Nosten F, Phyo A, Hanpithakpong W, Ringwald P, et al. Population Pharmacokinetic and Pharmacodynamic Modeling of Artemisinin Resistance in Southeast Asia. AAPS J. 2017;19:1842-1854 pubmed publisher..The nomogram showed > 80% specificity and sensitivity, and outperformed the current practice of day 3 positivity testing. ..
- Andrews K, Wesche D, McCarthy J, Möhrle J, Tarning J, Phillips L, et al. Model-Informed Drug Development for Malaria Therapeutics. Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol. 2018;58:567-582 pubmed publisher..This could have an enormous impact on the otherwise slow and resource-intensive process of traditional clinical drug development. ..