Genomes and Genes
Zhi Hong Wen
Affiliation: National Sun Yat-Sen University
- Wang Y, Hung H, Feng C, Huang S, Chen C, Lin Y, et al. Dihydroaustrasulfone Alcohol (WA-25) Impedes Macrophage Foam Cell Formation by Regulating the Transforming Growth Factor-Î²1 Pathway. Int J Mol Sci. 2015;16:10507-25 pubmed publisher..Besides, WA-25 might act through increasing lipolysis than through alteration of lipid export. Taken together, these data demonstrate that WA-25 may have potential as an anti-atherosclerotic drug with anti-inflammatory effects. ..
- Zheng L, Chang Y, Hu C, Wen Z, Wu Y, Sung P. Fragilides K and L, New Briaranes from the Gorgonian Coral Junceella fragilis. Molecules. 2018;23: pubmed publisher..7 cells. ..
- Wu S, Wang H, Wen Y, Liu W, Li P, Chiu C, et al. 4-(Phenylsulfanyl)butan-2-One Suppresses Melanin Synthesis and Melanosome Maturation In Vitro and In Vivo. Int J Mol Sci. 2015;16:20240-57 pubmed publisher..In summary, our in vitro and in vivo biological assays showed that 4-(phenylsulfanyl)butan-2-one possesses anti-melanogenic properties that are significant in medical cosmetology. ..
- Chen L, Lin Y, Jean Y, Lu Y, Chen W, Yang S, et al. Anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects of the marine-derived compound comaparvin isolated from the crinoid Comanthus bennetti. Molecules. 2014;19:14667-86 pubmed publisher..Comaparvin also attenuated leukocyte infiltration and iNOS protein expression in carrageenan-induced inflamed paws. These results suggest that comaparvin is a potential anti-inflammatory therapeutic agent against inflammatory pain. ..
- Cheng S, Chen N, Kuo H, Yang S, Sung C, Sung P, et al. Prodigiosin stimulates endoplasmic reticulum stress and induces autophagic cell death in glioblastoma cells. Apoptosis. 2018;23:314-328 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we found that the autophagy inhibitor 3-methyladenine reversed prodigiosin induced autophagic cell death. These findings of this study suggest that prodigiosin induces autophagic cell death and apoptosis in glioblastoma cells. ..
- Chen N, Huang S, Lu C, Chen C, Feng C, Chen C, et al. Flexibilide obtained from cultured soft coral has anti-neuroinflammatory and analgesic effects through the upregulation of spinal transforming growth factor-?1 in neuropathic rats. Mar Drugs. 2014;12:3792-817 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that flexibilide may serve as a therapeutic agent for neuropathic pain. In addition, spinal TGF-?1 may be involved in the anti-neuroinflammatory and analgesic effects of flexibilide. ..
- Lin Y, Lin S, Feng C, Chen P, Su Y, Li C, et al. Anti-Inflammatory and Analgesic Effects of the Marine-Derived Compound Excavatolide B Isolated from the Culture-Type Formosan Gorgonian Briareum excavatum. Mar Drugs. 2015;13:2559-79 pubmed publisher..In addition, excavatolide B inhibited iNOS, as well as the infiltration of immune cells in carrageenan-induced inflammatory paw tissue. ..
- Chen L, Liao H, Chen P, Kuo W, Chang T, Sung P, et al. Limonoids from the Seeds of Swietenia macrophylla and Their Anti-Inflammatory Activities. Molecules. 2015;20:18551-64 pubmed publisher..Compounds 1, 4, 5, and swietenine (6) showed potent inhibition with IC50 values≤36.32 μM, against lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced nitric oxide (NO) generation. ..
- Wu G, Chen W, Sung C, Jean Y, Shih C, Shyu C, et al. Preventive effects of intrathecal methylprednisolone administration on spinal cord ischemia in rats: the role of excitatory amino acid metabolizing systems. Neuroscience. 2007;147:294-303 pubmed..The i.t. MP pretreatment significantly prevented these symptoms. These results support the observation that MP delivery through an i.t. injection, is beneficial for the treatment of spinal cord ischemic injuries. ..
- Chen Y, Wen Z, Lee Y, Chen C, Hung H, Chen C, et al. Dihydroaustrasulfone alcohol inhibits PDGF-induced proliferation and migration of human aortic smooth muscle cells through inhibition of the cell cycle. Mar Drugs. 2015;13:2390-406 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide important insights into the mechanisms underlying the vasoprotective actions of dihydroaustrasulfone alcohol and suggest that it may be a useful therapeutic agent for the treatment of vascular occlusive disease. ..
- Lin S, Huang S, Kuo H, Chen C, Ma Y, Chu T, et al. Coral-derived compound WA-25 inhibits angiogenesis by attenuating the VEGF/VEGFR2 signaling pathway. Mar Drugs. 2015;13:861-78 pubmed publisher..WA-25 is a potent angiogenesis inhibitor that acts through the down-regulation of VEGF and VEGFR2 in endothelial cells. WA-25 may constitute a novel anti-angiogenic drug that acts by targeting endothelial VEGF/VEGFR2 signaling. ..
- Shih S, Lee M, El Shazly M, Juan Y, Wen Z, Du Y, et al. Tackling the Cytotoxic Effect of a Marine Polycyclic Quinone-Type Metabolite: Halenaquinone Induces Molt 4 Cells Apoptosis via Oxidative Stress Combined with the Inhibition of HDAC and Topoisomerase Activities. Mar Drugs. 2015;13:3132-53 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results suggested that the antileukemic effect of HQ is ROS-mediated mitochondrial apoptosis combined with the inhibitory effect on HDAC and topoisomerase activities. ..
- Su Y, Su T, Wen Z, Hwang T, Fang L, Chen J, et al. Briarenolides K and L, new anti-inflammatory briarane diterpenoids from an octocoral Briareum sp. (Briareidae). Mar Drugs. 2015;13:1037-50 pubmed publisher..In the in vitro anti-inflammatory effects test, briaranes 1 and 2 were found to significantly inhibit the accumulation of the pro-inflammatory iNOS protein of the lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-stimulated RAW264.7 macrophage cells. ..
- Chen W, Huang S, Liao C, Sung C, Chen J, Wen Z. The use of the antimicrobial peptide piscidin (PCD)-1 as a novel anti-nociceptive agent. Biomaterials. 2015;53:1-11 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the present findings demonstrate that the marine antimicrobial peptide PCD-1 has anti-nociceptive effects, and thus may have potential for development as an alternative pain-alleviating agent. ..
- Wang C, Wang Y, Liu W, Cheng C, Chiu K, Liu L, et al. Rhodobacter sphaeroides Extract Lycogen™ Attenuates Testosterone-Induced Benign Prostate Hyperplasia in Rats. Int J Mol Sci. 2018;19: pubmed publisher..In conclusion, these findings support a dose-dependent preventing effect of Lycogen™ on testosterone-induced BPH in rats and suggest that Lycogen™ may be favorable to the prevention and management of benign prostate hyperplasia. ..
- Lin W, Wu T, Su T, Wen Z, Chen J, Fang L, et al. Terpenoids from the Octocoral Sinularia gaweli. Int J Mol Sci. 2015;16:19508-17 pubmed publisher..Terpenoid 4 was found to inhibit the accumulation of the pro-inflammatory inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) protein of the lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-stimulated RAW264.7 marcophage cells. ..
- Chen W, Yin C, Cheng C, Lu M, Fang L, Wang W, et al. Norcembranoidal diterpenes from the cultured-type octocoral Sinularia numerosa. Int J Mol Sci. 2015;16:3298-306 pubmed publisher..Compound 2 exhibited moderate cytotoxicity toward CCRF-CEM cells with an IC50 value 4.21 Î¼g/mL. Preliminary SAR (structure activity relationship) information was obtained from these two compounds. ..
- Lee M, Liu Y, Lee Y, El Shazly M, Lai K, Shih S, et al. Heteronemin, a Marine Sesterterpenoid-Type Metabolite, Induces Apoptosis in Prostate LNcap Cells via Oxidative and ER Stress Combined with the Inhibition of Topoisomerase II and Hsp90. Mar Drugs. 2018;16: pubmed publisher..Taken together, these multiple targets present heteronemin as an interesting candidate for its future development as an antiprostatic agent. ..
- Hsiao T, Sung C, Lan Y, Wang Y, Lu M, Wen Z, et al. New Anti-Inflammatory Cembranes from the Cultured Soft Coral Nephthea columnaris. Mar Drugs. 2015;13:3443-53 pubmed publisher..7 macrophage cells. Compound 1 exhibited moderate cytotoxicity toward LNCaP cells with an IC50 value of 9.80 Î¼g/mL. ..
- Chung H, Wang W, Hwang T, Chen J, Fang L, Wen Z, et al. Rumphellols A and B, new caryophyllene sesquiterpenoids from a Formosan gorgonian coral, Rumphella antipathies. Int J Mol Sci. 2014;15:15679-88 pubmed publisher..Caryophyllene 1 and 2 were evaluated in terms of their anti-inflammatory activity by examining their inhibitory effects on the generation of superoxide anions and the release of elastase by human neutrophils. ..
- Huang S, Sung C, Chen W, Chen C, Feng C, Yang S, et al. Involvement of phosphatase and tensin homolog deleted from chromosome 10 in rodent model of neuropathic pain. J Neuroinflammation. 2015;12:59 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that PTEN plays a key, beneficial role in a rodent model of neuropathic pain. ..
- Chung H, Wang W, Hwang T, Fang L, Wen Z, Chen J, et al. Rumphellaoic acid A, a novel sesquiterpenoid from the formosan gorgonian coral Rumphella antipathies. Mar Drugs. 2014;12:5856-63 pubmed publisher..The structure of 1 was elucidated by spectroscopic methods and this compound and was found to exert a moderate inhibitory effect on the release of elastase by human neutrophils. ..
- Wang C, Ding S, Chiu K, Liu W, Lin T, Wen Z. Extract from a mutant Rhodobacter sphaeroides as an enriched carotenoid source. Food Nutr Res. 2016;60:29580 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that this mutant strain has the potential to be used as an enriched carotenoid source. ..
- Chen N, Chen W, Sung C, Lu C, Chen C, Hung H, et al. Contributions of p38 and ERK to the antinociceptive effects of TGF-?1 in chronic constriction injury-induced neuropathic rats. J Headache Pain. 2016;17:72 pubmed publisher..However, i.t. injection of TGF-?1 also reduced phospho-ERK upregulation in microglial cells and astrocytes. The present results demonstrate that suppressing p38 and ERK activity affects TGF-?1-induced analgesia during neuropathy. ..
- Naglah A, Ahmed A, Wen Z, Al Omar M, Amr A, Kalmouch A. New Inducible Nitric Oxide Synthase and Cyclooxygenase-2 Inhibitors, Nalidixic Acid Linked to Isatin Schiff Bases via Certain l-Amino Acid Bridges. Molecules. 2016;21:498 pubmed publisher..These synthesized nalidixic acid-l-amino acid-isatin conjugates can be regarded as a novel class of anti-inflammatory antibacterial agents. ..
- Wu C, Lee M, El Shazly M, Lai K, Ke S, Su C, et al. Isoaaptamine Induces T-47D Cells Apoptosis and Autophagy via Oxidative Stress. Mar Drugs. 2018;16: pubmed publisher..Our data indicated that isoaaptamine represents an interesting drug lead in the war against breast cancer. ..
- Hwang H, Tai B, Cheng P, Chen P, Sung P, Wen Z, et al. Excavatolide B Modulates the Electrophysiological Characteristics and Calcium Homeostasis of Atrial Myocytes. Mar Drugs. 2017;15: pubmed publisher..EXCB reversed the LPS-induced calcium alterations. In conclusion, EXCB modulates LPS-induced LA electrophysiological characteristics and calcium homeostasis, which may contribute to attenuating LPS-induced arrhythmogenesis. ..
- Su Y, Sung C, Wen Z, Chen Y, Chang Y, Chen J, et al. New 9-Hydroxybriarane Diterpenoids from a Gorgonian Coral Briareum sp. (Briareidae). Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17: pubmed publisher..Briarenolides ZII (2) and ZVI (6) were found to significantly inhibit the expression of the pro-inflammatory inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) protein of lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-stimulated RAW264.7 macrophage cells. ..
- Lin Y, Jean Y, Lee H, Lin S, Pan C, Chen W, et al. Excavatolide B Attenuates Rheumatoid Arthritis through the Inhibition of Osteoclastogenesis. Mar Drugs. 2017;15: pubmed publisher..Moreover, this study also illustrates the use of the anti-inflammatory marine compound, Exc-B, as a potential therapeutic strategy for RA. ..
- Chen Z, Wu S, Su W, Lin Y, Lee Y, Wu W, et al. Anti-inflammatory and burn injury wound healing properties of the shell of Haliotis diversicolor. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2016;16:487 pubmed..The study findings reveal that SJM provides a promising therapeutic option for treating burn injury. ..
- Feng C, Hung H, Huang S, Chen C, Chen Y, Chen C, et al. Neuroprotective Effect of the Marine-Derived Compound 11-Dehydrosinulariolide through DJ-1-Related Pathway in In Vitro and In Vivo Models of Parkinson's Disease. Mar Drugs. 2016;14: pubmed..Moreover, the patterns of DJ-1 expression observed in this study in the zebrafish and rat models of PD corroborated the trend noted in previous in vitro studies. ..
- Su Y, Su J, Hwang T, Wen Z, Sheu J, Wu Y, et al. Briarane Diterpenoids Isolated from Octocorals between 2014 and 2016. Mar Drugs. 2017;15: pubmed publisher..Some of these compounds exhibited potential biomedical activities, including anti-inflammatory activity, antibacterial activity, and cytotoxicity towards cancer cells. ..
- Su Y, Wu T, Wen Z, Su C, Chen Y, Chang Y, et al. Briarenolides U-Y, New Anti-Inflammatory Briarane Diterpenoids from an Octocoral Briareum sp. (Briareidae). Mar Drugs. 2015;13:7138-49 pubmed publisher..7 macrophage cells. ..
- Chou H, Lee C, Pan J, Wen Z, Huang S, Lan C, et al. Enriched Astaxanthin Extract from Haematococcus pluvialis Augments Growth Factor Secretions to Increase Cell Proliferation and Induces MMP1 Degradation to Enhance Collagen Production in Human Dermal Fibroblasts. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17: pubmed publisher..To sum up, the data confirmed the possible applications as medical cosmetology agentsand food supplements. ..
- Wu J, Wang C, Hung H, Wu W, Wu D, Chang M, et al. Heteronemin Is a Novel c-Met/STAT3 Inhibitor Against Advanced Prostate Cancer Cells. Prostate. 2016;76:1469-1483 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that heteronemin may constitute a novel c-Met/STAT3-targeting agent for prostate cancer. Prostate 76:1469-1483, 2016. © 2016 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. ..
- Chen C, Chen N, Feng C, Cheng S, Hung H, Tsui K, et al. A Coral-Derived Compound Improves Functional Recovery after Spinal Cord Injury through Its Antiapoptotic and Anti-Inflammatory Effects. Mar Drugs. 2016;14: pubmed publisher..The results show that 11-dehydrosinulariolide exerts antiapoptotic effects at 8 h after SCI and anti-inflammatory effects at 7 days after SCI. We consider that this compound may be a promising therapeutic agent for SCI. ..
- Chang H, Wang W, Chiu C, Chen C, Wang Y, Chen Z, et al. Ftr82 Is Critical for Vascular Patterning during Zebrafish Development. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..Together, we identify teleost-specific ftr82 as a vascular gene that plays an important role for vascular development in zebrafish. ..
- Song Y, Wu B, Chiu C, Chen C, Zhou J, Liang S, et al. Coral-Derived Natural Marine Compound GB9 Impairs Vascular Development in Zebrafish. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..Moreover, exogenous N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC) treatment rescued the vascular defects in GB9 treated embryos. Our results showed that GB9 exposure causes vascular defects likely mediated by the imbalance of redox homeostasis. ..
- Kao C, Chen W, Guo B, Feng C, Hung H, Yang W, et al. The 1-Tosylpentan-3-one Protects against 6-Hydroxydopamine-Induced Neurotoxicity. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..Therefore, this compound may be a promising therapeutic agent for neurodegenerations. ..
- Chen N, Su Y, Hwang T, Liao Z, Tsui K, Wen Z, et al. Briarenols C-E, New Polyoxygenated Briaranes from the Octocoral Briareum excavatum. Molecules. 2017;22: pubmed publisher..65 μM. Briarenol E (3) was found to inhibit the protein expression of pro-inflammatory inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) in a murine macrophage-like cell line, RAW 264.7, stimulated with lipopolysaccharides (LPS). ..
- Chen C, Yan S, Yen M, Wu P, Liao W, Huang T, et al. Investigations of kanuka and manuka essential oils for in vitro treatment of disease and cellular inflammation caused by infectious microorganisms. J Microbiol Immunol Infect. 2016;49:104-11 pubmed publisher..In this study, essential oils from two tea tree species, kanuka (Kunzea ericoides) and manuka (Leptospermum scoparium), were evaluated for use in treating diseases and inflammation caused by microorganism infection...
- Yen W, Chen W, Cheng C, Dai C, Lu M, Su J, et al. A new 5α,8α-Epidioxysterol from the soft coral Sinularia gaweli. Molecules. 2013;18:2895-903 pubmed publisher..The structure of sterol 1 was established by spectroscopic methods and by comparison of the spectral data with those of known analogues. The cytotoxicity of sterols 1-3 towards various tumor cells is reported. ..