Genomes and Genes
Ping Jyun Sung
Affiliation: National Museum of Marine Biology and Aquarium
- Lee M, Liu Y, Lee Y, El Shazly M, Lai K, Shih S, et al. Heteronemin, a Marine Sesterterpenoid-Type Metabolite, Induces Apoptosis in Prostate LNcap Cells via Oxidative and ER Stress Combined with the Inhibition of Topoisomerase II and Hsp90. Mar Drugs. 2018;16: pubmed publisher..Taken together, these multiple targets present heteronemin as an interesting candidate for its future development as an antiprostatic agent. ..
- Chen N, Huang S, Lu C, Chen C, Feng C, Chen C, et al. Flexibilide obtained from cultured soft coral has anti-neuroinflammatory and analgesic effects through the upregulation of spinal transforming growth factor-?1 in neuropathic rats. Mar Drugs. 2014;12:3792-817 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that flexibilide may serve as a therapeutic agent for neuropathic pain. In addition, spinal TGF-?1 may be involved in the anti-neuroinflammatory and analgesic effects of flexibilide. ..
- Chung H, Wang W, Hwang T, Chen J, Fang L, Wen Z, et al. Rumphellols A and B, new caryophyllene sesquiterpenoids from a Formosan gorgonian coral, Rumphella antipathies. Int J Mol Sci. 2014;15:15679-88 pubmed publisher..Caryophyllene 1 and 2 were evaluated in terms of their anti-inflammatory activity by examining their inhibitory effects on the generation of superoxide anions and the release of elastase by human neutrophils. ..
- Chuang L, Chou H, Sung P. Porphyra-334 isolated from the marine algae Bangia atropurpurea: conformational performance for energy conversion. Mar Drugs. 2014;12:4732-40 pubmed publisher..The relationship between the structural status and energy conversion is explained. Those are the primary results. More researches on it are highly expected in the future. ..
- Zheng L, Chang Y, Hu C, Wen Z, Wu Y, Sung P. Fragilides K and L, New Briaranes from the Gorgonian Coral Junceella fragilis. Molecules. 2018;23: pubmed publisher..7 cells. ..
- Hsiao T, Cheng C, Wu T, Lu M, Chen W, Wen Z, et al. New cembranoid diterpenes from the cultured octocoral Nephthea columnaris. Molecules. 2015;20:13205-15 pubmed publisher..The structures of cembranes 1-3 were elucidated by spectroscopic methods and comparison of the spectroscopic data with those of related analogues. The cytotoxicity of metabolites 1-4 against a panel of tumor cells is also described. ..
- Shih S, Lee M, El Shazly M, Juan Y, Wen Z, Du Y, et al. Tackling the Cytotoxic Effect of a Marine Polycyclic Quinone-Type Metabolite: Halenaquinone Induces Molt 4 Cells Apoptosis via Oxidative Stress Combined with the Inhibition of HDAC and Topoisomerase Activities. Mar Drugs. 2015;13:3132-53 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results suggested that the antileukemic effect of HQ is ROS-mediated mitochondrial apoptosis combined with the inhibitory effect on HDAC and topoisomerase activities. ..
- Su Y, Su T, Wen Z, Hwang T, Fang L, Chen J, et al. Briarenolides K and L, new anti-inflammatory briarane diterpenoids from an octocoral Briareum sp. (Briareidae). Mar Drugs. 2015;13:1037-50 pubmed publisher..In the in vitro anti-inflammatory effects test, briaranes 1 and 2 were found to significantly inhibit the accumulation of the pro-inflammatory iNOS protein of the lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-stimulated RAW264.7 macrophage cells. ..
- Chung H, Wang W, Hwang T, Fang L, Wen Z, Chen J, et al. Rumphellaoic acid A, a novel sesquiterpenoid from the formosan gorgonian coral Rumphella antipathies. Mar Drugs. 2014;12:5856-63 pubmed publisher..The structure of 1 was elucidated by spectroscopic methods and this compound and was found to exert a moderate inhibitory effect on the release of elastase by human neutrophils. ..
- Chen J, Yang C, Kuo Y, Hwang T, Kuo W, Lim Y, et al. New Coumarin Derivatives and Other Constituents from the Stem Bark of Zanthoxylum avicennae: Effects on Neutrophil Pro-Inflammatory Responses. Int J Mol Sci. 2015;16:9719-31 pubmed publisher..17 Âµg/mL. This investigation reveals bioactive isolates (especially 1, 2, 4, 8, 9, 12 and 15) could be further developed as potential candidates for the treatment or prevention of various inflammatory diseases. ..
- Hsiao T, Sung C, Lan Y, Wang Y, Lu M, Wen Z, et al. New Anti-Inflammatory Cembranes from the Cultured Soft Coral Nephthea columnaris. Mar Drugs. 2015;13:3443-53 pubmed publisher..7 macrophage cells. Compound 1 exhibited moderate cytotoxicity toward LNCaP cells with an IC50 value of 9.80 Î¼g/mL. ..
- Chen L, Liao H, Chen P, Kuo W, Chang T, Sung P, et al. Limonoids from the Seeds of Swietenia macrophylla and Their Anti-Inflammatory Activities. Molecules. 2015;20:18551-64 pubmed publisher..Compounds 1, 4, 5, and swietenine (6) showed potent inhibition with IC50 values≤36.32 μM, against lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced nitric oxide (NO) generation. ..
- Su Y, Wu T, Wen Z, Su C, Chen Y, Chang Y, et al. Briarenolides U-Y, New Anti-Inflammatory Briarane Diterpenoids from an Octocoral Briareum sp. (Briareidae). Mar Drugs. 2015;13:7138-49 pubmed publisher..7 macrophage cells. ..
- Chen C, Kuo Y, Cheng J, Sung P, Ni C, Chen C, et al. Three New Sesquiterpene Aryl Esters from the Mycelium of Armillaria mellea. Molecules. 2015;20:9994-10003 pubmed publisher..The structures of new compounds were established by analysis of their spectroscopic data. Some of the isolates showed cytotoxicity to a variety of cancer cell lines, including MCF-7, H460, HT-29, and CEM. ..
- Chen W, Yin C, Cheng C, Lu M, Fang L, Wang W, et al. Norcembranoidal diterpenes from the cultured-type octocoral Sinularia numerosa. Int J Mol Sci. 2015;16:3298-306 pubmed publisher..Compound 2 exhibited moderate cytotoxicity toward CCRF-CEM cells with an IC50 value 4.21 Î¼g/mL. Preliminary SAR (structure activity relationship) information was obtained from these two compounds. ..
- Lai Y, Chen L, Wu C, Lu M, Wen Z, Wu T, et al. New Cytotoxic 24-Homoscalarane Sesterterpenoids from the Sponge Ircinia felix. Int J Mol Sci. 2015;16:21950-8 pubmed publisher..The cytotoxicity of 1 and 2 against the proliferation of a limited panel of tumor cell lines was evaluated and 1 was found to show cytotoxicity toward the leukemia K562, MOLT-4, and SUP-T1 cells (IC50 â‰¤ 5.0 Î¼M). ..
- Lin S, Huang S, Kuo H, Chen C, Ma Y, Chu T, et al. Coral-derived compound WA-25 inhibits angiogenesis by attenuating the VEGF/VEGFR2 signaling pathway. Mar Drugs. 2015;13:861-78 pubmed publisher..WA-25 is a potent angiogenesis inhibitor that acts through the down-regulation of VEGF and VEGFR2 in endothelial cells. WA-25 may constitute a novel anti-angiogenic drug that acts by targeting endothelial VEGF/VEGFR2 signaling. ..
- Lin W, Wu T, Su T, Wen Z, Chen J, Fang L, et al. Terpenoids from the Octocoral Sinularia gaweli. Int J Mol Sci. 2015;16:19508-17 pubmed publisher..Terpenoid 4 was found to inhibit the accumulation of the pro-inflammatory inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) protein of the lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-stimulated RAW264.7 marcophage cells. ..
- Sung P, Chuang L, Kuo J, Chen J, Fan T, Li J, et al. Rumphellolides A-F, six new caryophyllane-related derivatives from the Formosan Gorgonian coral Rumphella antipathies. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo). 2007;55:1296-301 pubmed..The structures of the above new natural products were established on the basis of extensive spectral data analysis. Rumphellolides A (1), D (4), E (5), and F (6) showed weak antibacterial activity. ..
- Qin G, Tang X, Sun Y, Luo X, Zhang J, van Ofwegen L, et al. Terpenoids from the Soft Coral Sinularia sp. Collected in Yongxing Island. Mar Drugs. 2018;16: pubmed publisher..Compound 20 exhibited cytotoxicities against HeLa and HCT-116, and compounds 5, 11, and 15 showed mild target inhibitory activities against PTP1B. ..
- Huang T, Chen B, Huang C, Hwang T, Uvarani C, Dai C, et al. Eunicellin-Based Diterpenoids, Hirsutalins S-V, from the Formosan Soft Coral Cladiella hirsuta. Mar Drugs. 2015;13:2757-69 pubmed publisher..Anti-inflammatory activity of compounds 1-5 was evaluated by measuring their ability in suppressing superoxide anion generation and elastase release in fMLP/ CB-induced human neutrophils. ..
- Lai Y, Lu M, Wang L, Chen J, Fang L, Wu Y, et al. New Scalarane Sesterterpenoids from the Formosan Sponge Ircinia felix. Mar Drugs. 2015;13:4296-309 pubmed publisher..The structures of scalaranes 1-5 were elucidated on the basis of spectroscopic analysis. Cytotoxicity of scalaranes 1-5 against the proliferation of a limited panel of tumor cell lines was evaluated. ..
- Lee T, Chen C, Chen J, Liao H, Chang H, Sung P, et al. New and Cytotoxic Components from Antrodia camphorata. Molecules. 2014;19:21378-85 pubmed publisher..For bioactivity assay, compounds 4-7 showed significant cytotoxicity toward murine colorectal CT26 and human leukemia K562 cancer cell lines with IC50 values ranging from 6.7 to 15.3 µM and from 12.5 to 23.1 µM, respectively. ..
- Tsai P, Huang W, Hsieh M, Sung P, Kuo Y, Wu W. Flavones Isolated from Scutellariae radix Suppress Propionibacterium Acnes-Induced Cytokine Production In Vitro and In Vivo. Molecules. 2015;21:E15 pubmed publisher..Our results suggested that all the seven flavones can be potential therapeutic agents against P. acnes-induced skin inflammation. ..
- Kuo Y, Lin T, You Y, Wen K, Sung P, Chiang H. Antiinflammatory and Antiphotodamaging Effects of Ergostatrien-3β-ol, Isolated from Antrodia camphorata, on Hairless Mouse Skin. Molecules. 2016;21: pubmed publisher..Our findings strongly suggest that EK100 has significant beneficial antiinflammatory and antiphotoaging activities and that EK100 can be developed as an antiphotodamaging agent. ..
- Chen N, Su Y, Hwang T, Liao Z, Tsui K, Wen Z, et al. Briarenols C-E, New Polyoxygenated Briaranes from the Octocoral Briareum excavatum. Molecules. 2017;22: pubmed publisher..65 μM. Briarenol E (3) was found to inhibit the protein expression of pro-inflammatory inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) in a murine macrophage-like cell line, RAW 264.7, stimulated with lipopolysaccharides (LPS). ..
- Chang Y, Hwang T, Chao C, Sung P. New Marine Sterols from a Gorgonian Pinnigorgia sp. Molecules. 2017;22: pubmed publisher..65 and 5.86 μM, respectively. The structure of a known metabolite, pubinernoid A (3), is revised as (+)-loliolide (4). ..
- Hwang H, Tai B, Cheng P, Chen P, Sung P, Wen Z, et al. Excavatolide B Modulates the Electrophysiological Characteristics and Calcium Homeostasis of Atrial Myocytes. Mar Drugs. 2017;15: pubmed publisher..EXCB reversed the LPS-induced calcium alterations. In conclusion, EXCB modulates LPS-induced LA electrophysiological characteristics and calcium homeostasis, which may contribute to attenuating LPS-induced arrhythmogenesis. ..
- Sung P, Li G, Su Y, Lin M, Chang Y, Kung T, et al. Excavatoids O and P, new 12-hydroxybriaranes from the octocoral Briareum excavatum. Mar Drugs. 2010;8:2639-46 pubmed publisher..The structures of briaranes 1 and 2 were established on the basis of extensive spectral data analysis. Excavatoid P (2) is the first metabolite which possesses a 6? -chlorine atom in briarane analogues. ..
- Wu C, Lee M, El Shazly M, Lai K, Ke S, Su C, et al. Isoaaptamine Induces T-47D Cells Apoptosis and Autophagy via Oxidative Stress. Mar Drugs. 2018;16: pubmed publisher..Our data indicated that isoaaptamine represents an interesting drug lead in the war against breast cancer. ..
- Feng C, Hung H, Huang S, Chen C, Chen Y, Chen C, et al. Neuroprotective Effect of the Marine-Derived Compound 11-Dehydrosinulariolide through DJ-1-Related Pathway in In Vitro and In Vivo Models of Parkinson's Disease. Mar Drugs. 2016;14: pubmed..Moreover, the patterns of DJ-1 expression observed in this study in the zebrafish and rat models of PD corroborated the trend noted in previous in vitro studies. ..
- Wang S, Hwang T, Chung M, Sung P, Shu C, Cheng M, et al. New Flavones, a 2-(2-Phenylethyl)-4H-chromen-4-one Derivative, and Anti-Inflammatory Constituents from the Stem Barks of Aquilaria sinensis. Molecules. 2015;20:20912-25 pubmed publisher..25 μM. This investigation reveals bioactive isolates (especially 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, and 19) could be further developed as potential candidates for the treatment or prevention of various inflammatory diseases. ..
- Chen C, Chen N, Feng C, Cheng S, Hung H, Tsui K, et al. A Coral-Derived Compound Improves Functional Recovery after Spinal Cord Injury through Its Antiapoptotic and Anti-Inflammatory Effects. Mar Drugs. 2016;14: pubmed publisher..The results show that 11-dehydrosinulariolide exerts antiapoptotic effects at 8 h after SCI and anti-inflammatory effects at 7 days after SCI. We consider that this compound may be a promising therapeutic agent for SCI. ..
- Sung P, Liu C. New 3beta,5alpha,6beta-trihydroxysteroids from the octocorals Bebryce sp. (Plexauridae) and Carijoa sp. (Clavulariidae). Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo). 2010;58:1240-2 pubmed..yielded two new 3beta,5alpha,6beta-trihydroxysteroids, carijoids A (2) and B (3). The structures of steroids 1-3 were elucidated by spectroscopic methods and by comparison of the spectral data with those of known steroid analogues. ..
- Su Y, Cheng C, Wen Z, Wu Y, Sung P. New anti-inflammatory sterols from a gorgonian Pinnigorgia sp. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2016;26:3060-3063 pubmed publisher..Both 1 and 2 were shown to significantly inhibit the accumulation of the pro-inflammatory iNOS and COX-2 protein in LPS-stimulated RAW264.7 macrophage cells. ..
- Kuo L, Chen P, Sung P, Chang Y, Ho C, Wu Y, et al. The Bioactive Extract of Pinnigorgia sp. Induces Apoptosis of Hepatic Stellate Cells via ROS-ERK/JNK-Caspase-3 Signaling. Mar Drugs. 2018;16: pubmed publisher..Pinnigorgiol A serves as a bioactive compound of Pin and may exhibit therapeutic potential by clearance of HSCs. ..
- Yang C, Chen J, Huang H, Huang G, Wang S, Sung P, et al. New Benzenoid Derivatives and Other Constituents from Lawsonia inermis with Inhibitory Activity against NO Production. Molecules. 2017;22: pubmed publisher..7 cells with IC50 values of 6.12, 16.43, 18.98, 9.30, 9.30 and 14.90 μg/mL, respectively. ..
- Su Y, Su J, Hwang T, Wen Z, Sheu J, Wu Y, et al. Briarane Diterpenoids Isolated from Octocorals between 2014 and 2016. Mar Drugs. 2017;15: pubmed publisher..Some of these compounds exhibited potential biomedical activities, including anti-inflammatory activity, antibacterial activity, and cytotoxicity towards cancer cells. ..
- Chang Y, Hwang T, Kuo L, Sung P. Pinnisterols D-J, New 11-Acetoxy-9,11-secosterols with a 1,4-Quinone Moiety from Formosan Gorgonian Coral Pinnigorgia sp. (Gorgoniidae). Mar Drugs. 2017;15: pubmed publisher..93 ?M; and secosterols 2, 5, and 7 reduced elastase enzyme release, and 3, 5, and 7 decreased the production of superoxide anions from human neutrophils. ..
- Lin Y, Jean Y, Lee H, Lin S, Pan C, Chen W, et al. Excavatolide B Attenuates Rheumatoid Arthritis through the Inhibition of Osteoclastogenesis. Mar Drugs. 2017;15: pubmed publisher..Moreover, this study also illustrates the use of the anti-inflammatory marine compound, Exc-B, as a potential therapeutic strategy for RA. ..
- Chang Y, Hwang T, Sheu J, Wu Y, Sung P. New Anti-Inflammatory 9,11-Secosterols with a Rare Tricyclo[5,2,1,1]decane Ring from a Formosan Gorgonian Pinnigorgia sp. Mar Drugs. 2016;14: pubmed..The new secosterols 1 and 2 displayed significant inhibitory effects on the generation of superoxide anions and the release of elastase by human neutrophils. ..
- Huang C, Chang C, Tseng Y, Lee J, Sung P, Su J, et al. Bioactive Steroids from the Formosan Soft Coral Umbellulifera petasites. Mar Drugs. 2016;14: pubmed
- Yang C, Huang H, Wang S, Sung P, Huang G, Chen J, et al. New Diphenol and Isocoumarins from the Aerial Part of Lawsonia inermis and Their Inhibitory Activities against NO Production. Molecules. 2016;21: pubmed..7 cells with IC50 values of 5.63, 15.72, 8.67, 6.67, 6.17, 7.61, and 14.52 μg/mL, respectively. ..
- Whuang T, Tsai W, Chen N, Chen Z, Tsui K, Wen Z, et al. Columnaristerol A, a novel 19-norsterol from the Formosan octocoral Nephthea columnaris. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2016;26:4966-4969 pubmed publisher..Sterol 1 was found to be a cytotoxic agent that exhibited in vitro moderate cytotoxic activity against MOLT-4 and SUP-T1 human leukemia-lymphoma cell lines. ..
- Su Y, Sung C, Wen Z, Chen Y, Chang Y, Chen J, et al. New 9-Hydroxybriarane Diterpenoids from a Gorgonian Coral Briareum sp. (Briareidae). Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17: pubmed publisher..Briarenolides ZII (2) and ZVI (6) were found to significantly inhibit the expression of the pro-inflammatory inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) protein of lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-stimulated RAW264.7 macrophage cells. ..
- Lee T, Chen Y, Hwang T, Shu C, Sung P, Lim Y, et al. New coumarins and anti-inflammatory constituents from the fruits of Cnidium monnieri. Int J Mol Sci. 2014;15:9566-78 pubmed publisher..83 µg/mL. This investigation reveals that bioactive isolates (especially 6, 7, 14, and 17) could be further developed as potential candidates for the treatment or prevention of various inflammatory diseases. ..
- Chen J, Tsai T, Liao H, Chen L, Kuo Y, Sung P, et al. New Sesquiterpenoids and Anti-Platelet Aggregation Constituents from the Rhizomes of Curcuma zedoaria. Molecules. 2016;21: pubmed..Compounds 1, 5, 7, 8, and the mixture of 12 and 13 inhibited arachidonic acid (AA)-induced platelet aggregation at 100 μM with inhibition % in the range of 23.44%-95.36%. ..
- Kuo Y, Chen C, Wu P, Wu C, Sung P, Lin C, et al. N-(4-methoxyphenyl) caffeamide-induced melanogenesis inhibition mechanisms. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17:71 pubmed publisher..K36E may have the potential to be developed as a skin whitening agent. ..
- Whuang T, Tsai H, Su Y, Hwang T, Sung P. Sterols from the Octocoral Nephthea columnaris. Mar Drugs. 2017;15: pubmed publisher..Sterol 3 was found to suppress superoxide anion production and elastase secretion by human neutrophils. ..
- Cheng M, Lin C, Chen Y, Sung P, Lin S, Tong Y, et al. Inhibitory Growth of Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma Cancer via Bacterial Prodigiosin. Mar Drugs. 2017;15: pubmed publisher..These findings elucidate the role of PG, which may target the autophagic cell death pathways as a potential agent in cancer therapeutics. ..
- Chen T, Lu M, Chang Y, Su Y, Chen Y, Lin N, et al. Discovery of new eunicellin-based diterpenoids from a Formosan soft coral Cladiella sp. Mar Drugs. 2013;11:4585-93 pubmed publisher..Eunicellin 1 exhibited significant cytotoxicity toward the DLD-1 human colorectal adenocarcinoma cells. ..
- Sung P, Fan T, Fang L, Wu S, Li J, Chen M, et al. Briarane derivatives from the gorgonian coral Junceella fragilis. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo). 2003;51:1429-31 pubmed..The structure, including the relative configuration of the new diterpenoid 1, was elucidated by extensive spectroscopic methods. ..
- Chuang L, Hsu C, Chou H, Chou H, Sung P, Chen C, et al. The Counterbalance of Skin Metabolism on Orbits and Diseases. Med Sci (Basel). 2015;3:25-37 pubmed publisher..The results could explain the relationships between the neurological illnesses and established spectrum. The objective was to promote the use of this spectrum as a new tool for conducting the nervous system tests in the future. ..
- Chang C, Chen C, Chao C, Wang S, Chang H, Sung P, et al. Sesquiterpenoids and Diterpenoids from the Wood of Cunninghamia konishii and Their Inhibitory Activities against NO Production. Molecules. 2016;21:490 pubmed publisher..7 macrophages and the results showed that compounds 10 and 15 exhibited moderate inhibitory activities against nitric oxide production. ..
- Huang C, Su J, Liaw C, Sung P, Chiang P, Hwang T, et al. Bioactive Steroids with Methyl Ester Group in the Side Chain from a Reef Soft Coral Sinularia brassica Cultured in a Tank. Mar Drugs. 2017;15: pubmed publisher..Compounds 2 and 3 were shown to exhibit significant cytotoxicity, and compounds 3 and 4 were also found to display attracting anti-inflammatory activities. ..
- Song Y, Wu B, Chiu C, Chen C, Zhou J, Liang S, et al. Coral-Derived Natural Marine Compound GB9 Impairs Vascular Development in Zebrafish. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..Moreover, exogenous N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC) treatment rescued the vascular defects in GB9 treated embryos. Our results showed that GB9 exposure causes vascular defects likely mediated by the imbalance of redox homeostasis. ..
- Chang Y, Chen N, Hwang T, Tseng C, Wu T, Peng B, et al. New marine sterols from an algal-bearing gorgonian coral Pinnigorgia sp. Steroids. 2016;115:123-129 pubmed publisher..Sterols 1-5 were tested for in vitro cytotoxicity in hepatic stellate cells (HSCs). Proliferation of HSCs plays a key role in the pathogenesis of liver fibrosis. ..