Hann Chorng Kuo
Affiliation: Buddhist Tzu Chi General Hospital
- Kuo H. Bladder base/trigone injection is safe and as effective as bladder body injection of onabotulinumtoxinA for idiopathic detrusor overactivity refractory to antimuscarinics. Neurourol Urodyn. 2011;30:1242-8 pubmed publisher..Bladder base/trigone injection is as safe and effective as bladder body injections with or without trigone involvement. ..
- Lee C, Kuo H. Long-Term Efficacy and Safety of Repeated Intravescial OnabotulinumtoxinA Injections Plus Hydrodistention in the Treatment of Interstitial Cystitis/Bladder Pain Syndrome. Toxins (Basel). 2015;7:4283-93 pubmed publisher..A higher pre-treatment ICSI and ICPI score was predictive for successful response to repeated intravesical BoNT-A injections plus hydrodistention. ..
- Kuo H. OnabotulinumtoxinA Treatment for Overactive Bladder in the Elderly: Practical Points and Future Prospects. Drugs Aging. 2016;33:1-9 pubmed publisher..For treatment of OAB in the elderly, clinicians should be aware of the balance between therapeutic efficacy and safety. ..
- Cheng C, Kuo H, Su B. Endometriosis in a kidney with focal xanthogranulomatous pyelonephritis and a perinephric abscess. BMC Res Notes. 2015;8:591 pubmed publisher..Early diagnosis might have prevented an unnecessary nephrectomy in cases of uncomplicated renal endometriosis. ..
- Jhang J, Kuo H. Novel Treatment of Chronic Bladder Pain Syndrome and Other Pelvic Pain Disorders by OnabotulinumtoxinA Injection. Toxins (Basel). 2015;7:2232-50 pubmed publisher..Dysuria is the most common adverse effect after BoNT-A injection. Very few patients develop acute urinary retention after treatment. ..
- Chen J, Chen C, Kuo H. Botulinum toxin A injection to the bladder neck and urethra for medically refractory lower urinary tract symptoms in men without prostatic obstruction. J Formos Med Assoc. 2009;108:950-6 pubmed publisher..Bladder neck and urethral BoNT-A injections improved LUTS and increased Qmax in men with a small prostate. Our findings suggest that bladder neck and urethral dysfunction may play a role in LUTS in men without BPH. ..
- Chen S, Jiang Y, Kuo H. Single onabotulinumtoxinA 200U dose improved clinical symptoms but not urothelial dysfunction in neurogenic detrusor overactivity due to spinal cord injury. J Formos Med Assoc. 2018;: pubmed publisher..The results imply that a single 200U onabotulinumtoxinA dose might not be adequate for urothelial dysfunction in NDO. IRB: TCGH 098-53. ..
- Liao C, Kuo H. Mirabegron 25 mg Monotherapy Is Safe but Less Effective in Male Patients With Overactive Bladder and Bladder Outlet Obstruction. Urology. 2018;117:115-119 pubmed publisher..6%) than those without BOO (8.2%, P = .026). Mirabegron monotherapy in male patients with OAB and BOO was safe. However, the storage symptoms improvement was less in patients with BOO and AEs rate was higher. ..
- Jhang J, Hsu Y, Peng C, Jiang Y, Ho H, Kuo H. Epstein-Barr Virus as a Potential Etiology of Persistent Bladder Inflammation in Human Interstitial Cystitis/Bladder Pain Syndrome. J Urol. 2018;200:590-596 pubmed publisher..Bladder Epstein-Barr infection in T cells may be linked to the pathogenesis of persistent inflammation in patients with interstitial cystitis/bladder pain syndrome. ..
- Kuo H. Recovery of detrusor function after urethral botulinum A toxin injection in patients with idiopathic low detrusor contractility and voiding dysfunction. Urology. 2007;69:57-61; discussion 61-2 pubmed..Neuromodulation of the hyperactive urethral sphincter by urethral BoNT-A is the likely mechanism for this therapeutic effect. ..
- Jiang Y, Lee C, Kuo H. Urothelial Dysfunction, Suburothelial Inflammation and Altered Sensory Protein Expression in Men with Bladder Outlet Obstruction and Various Bladder Dysfunctions: Correlation with Urodynamics. J Urol. 2016;196:831-7 pubmed publisher..Impaired urothelial signaling and sensory transduction pathways appear to reflect the pathophysiology of bladder dysfunction and detrusor underactivity in patients with bladder outlet obstruction. ..
- Kuo Y, Kuo H. Adverse Events of Intravesical OnabotulinumtoxinA Injection between Patients with Overactive Bladder and Interstitial Cystitis--Different Mechanisms of Action of Botox on Bladder Dysfunction?. Toxins (Basel). 2016;8: pubmed publisher..Further investigations to confirm this hypothesis are warranted. ..
- Wang C, Lee C, Kuo H. Efficacy and Safety of Intravesical OnabotulinumtoxinA Injection in Patients with Detrusor Hyperactivity and Impaired Contractility. Toxins (Basel). 2016;8: pubmed publisher..Physicians should inform patients of the potential benefits and risks of onabotulinumtoxinA injection for treatment of DHIC. ..
- Kuo H. Effectiveness of intravesical resiniferatoxin in treating detrusor hyper-reflexia and external sphincter dyssynergia in patients with chronic spinal cord lesions. BJU Int. 2003;92:597-601 pubmed..The initial response to resiniferatoxin instillation might predict a favourable therapeutic outcome. ..
- Chuang Y, Kuo H. A Prospective, Multicenter, Double-Blind, Randomized Trial of Bladder Instillation of Liposome Formulation OnabotulinumtoxinA for Interstitial Cystitis/Bladder Pain Syndrome. J Urol. 2017;: pubmed publisher..The effect was likely due to a significant placebo effect. ..
- Jhang J, Kuo H. Botulinum Toxin A and Lower Urinary Tract Dysfunction: Pathophysiology and Mechanisms of Action. Toxins (Basel). 2016;8:120 pubmed publisher..The effects of onabotulinumtoxinA on other LUTDs such as interstitial cystitis, benign prostatic hyperplasia, dysfunctional voiding or detrusor sphincter dyssynergia have not been well demonstrated. ..
- Jiang Y, Kuo H. Urothelial Barrier Deficits, Suburothelial Inflammation and Altered Sensory Protein Expression in Detrusor Underactivity. J Urol. 2017;197:197-203 pubmed publisher..Impaired urothelial signaling and sensory transduction pathways appear to reflect the pathophysiology of detrusor underactivity. ..
- Kuo H, Liu H, Yang W. Therapeutic effect of multiple resiniferatoxin intravesical instillations in patients with refractory detrusor overactivity: a randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled study. J Urol. 2006;176:641-5 pubmed..The therapeutic effect of resiniferatoxin was significantly superior to that of placebo. ..
- Chen S, Jiang Y, Kuo H. Urinary biomarkers in patients with detrusor underactivity with and without bladder function recovery. Int Urol Nephrol. 2017;49:1763-1770 pubmed publisher..0001) but not in patients without recovery (383 ± 237 pg/ml, p = 0.130). Patients with DU and higher urinary PGE2 and BDNF levels might have a chance to recover bladder function than those with a lower protein level. ..
- Hsiao S, Lin H, Kuo H. Videourodynamic Studies of Women with Voiding Dysfunction. Sci Rep. 2017;7:6845 pubmed publisher..69; (4) Pdet.Qmax?=?30 cmH2O for differentiating dysfunctional voiding from poor relaxation of the external sphincter with an ROC area of 0.93. The above findings can be used as initial guide for management of female BOO. ..
- Jhang J, Hsu Y, Kuo H. Urothelial Functional Protein and Sensory Receptors in Patients With Interstitial Cystitis/Bladder Pain Syndrome With and Without Hunner's Lesion. Urology. 2016;98:44-49 pubmed publisher..eNOS was significantly higher in the Hunner IC than in the non-Hunner IC bladder samples, suggesting that eNOS expression difference may implicate different pathogenesis in 2 types of IC. ..