Genomes and Genes
Jyh Yih Chen
Affiliation: Academia Sinica
- Chen W, Huang S, Liao C, Sung C, Chen J, Wen Z. The use of the antimicrobial peptide piscidin (PCD)-1 as a novel anti-nociceptive agent. Biomaterials. 2015;53:1-11 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the present findings demonstrate that the marine antimicrobial peptide PCD-1 has anti-nociceptive effects, and thus may have potential for development as an alternative pain-alleviating agent. ..
- Huang H, Pan C, Chen J. Grouper (Epinephelus coioides) antimicrobial peptide epinecidin-1 exhibits antiviral activity against foot-and-mouth disease virus in vitro. Peptides. 2018;106:91-95 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data show that Epi-1 may be a promising candidate for development as an anti-FMDV agent. ..
- Ting C, Huang H, Huang T, Wu C, Chen J. The mechanisms by which pardaxin, a natural cationic antimicrobial peptide, targets the endoplasmic reticulum and induces c-FOS. Biomaterials. 2014;35:3627-40 pubmed publisher..Importantly, pardaxin treatment or c-FOS overexpression induced cell death in diverse cancer cell lines, indicating that pardaxin and c-FOS may possess therapeutic potential for use in cancer treatment. ..
- Wang Y, Rajanbabu V, Chen J. Transcriptome analysis of medaka following epinecidin-1 and TH1-5 treatment of NNV infection. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2015;42:121-31 pubmed publisher..These observations demonstrate that epinecidin-1 and TH1-5 modulate NNV-induced host signaling mechanisms, thereby preventing viral multiplication in host organisms. ..
- Su B, Lin W, Chen J. Recombinant Epinephelus lanceolatus serum amyloid A as a feed additive: Effects on immune gene expression and resistance to Vibrio alginolyticus infection in Epinephelus lanceolatus. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2018;76:233-239 pubmed publisher..Together, our results demonstrate that rElSAA is a promising candidate as a feed additive for giant grouper, which may effectively enhance disease resistance after being administered for several weeks. ..
- Huang H, Rajanbabu V, Pan C, Chan Y, Chen J, Wu C. Enhanced Control of Bladder-Associated Tumors Using Shrimp Anti-Lipopolysaccharide Factor (SALF) Antimicrobial Peptide as a Cancer Vaccine Adjuvant in Mice. Mar Drugs. 2015;13:3241-58 pubmed publisher..Recruitment of macrophages, T-helper cells, and NK cells was enhanced, but levels of VEGF were decreased in immunized mice. This report provides empirical evidence that our SALF as vaccine adjuvant enhances antitumor immunity in mice. ..
- Wang Y, Huang S, Chou H, Liao W, Gong H, Chen J. Transcriptome analysis of the effect of Vibrio alginolyticus infection on the innate immunity-related complement pathway in Epinephelus coioides. BMC Genomics. 2014;15:1102 pubmed publisher..alginolyticus infection at early developmental stages, enhancing our understanding of the mechanisms underlying the immune response to Vibrio infection in Epinephelus coioides. ..
- Wang Y, Wang Y, Hui C, Chen J. Transcriptome analysis of the effect of Vibrio alginolyticus infection on the innate immunity-related TLR5-mediated induction of cytokines in Epinephelus lanceolatus. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2016;52:31-43 pubmed publisher..These results may be applied by examining the immune effects of feeding E. lanceolatus larvae on a recombinant protein mixture based on the up-regulated genes. ..
- Su B, Lai Y, Chen J, Pan C. Transgenic expression of tilapia piscidin 3 (TP3) in zebrafish confers resistance to Streptococcus agalactiae. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2018;74:235-241 pubmed publisher..Together, these actions are conducive to the resolution of inflammation and bacterial clearance. We further postulate that TP3 may exert its anti-inflammatory effects by enhancing TLR4a-mediated negative regulation of NF-?B. ..
- Chen J, Lin W, Lin T. A fish antimicrobial peptide, tilapia hepcidin TH2-3, shows potent antitumor activity against human fibrosarcoma cells. Peptides. 2009;30:1636-42 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest a mechanism of cytotoxic action of TH2-3 and indicate that TH2-3 may be a promising chemotherapeutic agent against human fibrosarcoma cells. ..
- Su B, Chen J. Antimicrobial Peptide Epinecidin-1 Modulates MyD88 Protein Levels via the Proteasome Degradation Pathway. Mar Drugs. 2017;15: pubmed publisher..Thus, our data suggest that epinecidin-1 directly inhibits MyD88 via induction of the Smurf E3 ligase proteasome pathway. ..
- Ken C, Chen C, Ting C, Pan C, Chen J. Transcriptome analysis of hybrid tilapia (Oreochromis spp.) with Streptococcus agalactiae infection identifies Toll-like receptor pathway-mediated induction of NADPH oxidase complex and piscidins as primary immune-related responses. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2017;70:106-120 pubmed publisher
- Su B, Lin W, Huang H, Chen J. Recombinant expression of Epinephelus lanceolatus serum amyloid A (ElSAA) and analysis of its macrophage modulatory activities. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2017;64:276-286 pubmed publisher..lanceolatus and have demonstrated that rElSAA promotes inflammatory cytokine production and macrophage differentiation. In addition, rElSAA enhances phagocytosis of bacteria by macrophages via an opsonization-independent mechanism. ..
- Pan C, Liu Y, Gong H, Chen J. Transcriptome analysis of the effect of polyunsaturated fatty acids against Vibrio vulnificus infection in Oreochromis niloticus. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2017;62:153-163 pubmed publisher..In summary, the results of the present study demonstrated that DHA and EPA reduce the severity of Vibrio vulnificus infection and increase the survival rate of Oreochromis niloticus. ..
- Jheng Y, Lee L, Ting C, Pan C, Hui C, Chen J. Zebrafish fed on recombinant Artemia expressing epinecidin-1 exhibit increased survival and altered expression of immunomodulatory genes upon Vibrio vulnificus infection. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2015;42:1-15 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that feeding transgenic Artemia expressing CMV-gfp-epi to larval fish has antimicrobial effects, without the drawbacks of introducing drug residues or inducing bacterial drug resistance. ..
- Wang Y, Peng K, Wu J, Chen J. Transgenic expression of salmon delta-5 and delta-6 desaturase in zebrafish muscle inhibits the growth of Vibrio alginolyticus and affects fish immunomodulatory activity. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2014;39:223-30 pubmed publisher..Overall, these results identify delta-5 and delta-6 desaturase as novel candidate genes for use in aquaculture, to enhance both disease resistance and fish oil production. ..
- Chen J, Chiou M. Molecular cloning and functional analysis of the zebrafish luteinizing hormone beta subunit (LH<beta>) promoter. Fish Physiol Biochem. 2010;36:1253-62 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the LH plays important roles in reproduction and general embryonic development in zebrafish. ..
- Chen J, Chiou M, Chen L, Wu J. Molecular cloning and functional analysis of the zebrafish follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH)beta promoter. Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol. 2010;155:155-63 pubmed publisher..Morphological studies of transgenic zebrafish indicated that the FSHbeta promoter-driven GFP transcripts appeared in the heart, skin, and vertebrae. ..
- Chen L, Wu J, Shiau C, Chen J. Organization and promoter analysis of the zebrafish (Danio rerio) chemokine gene (CXC-64) promoter. Fish Physiol Biochem. 2010;36:511-521 pubmed publisher..7 cells, and LPS-treated zfl cells. These results reveal that the zebrafish CXC-64 chemokine gene promoter region can be induced by LPS in both human and fish cell lines, which suggests that it plays an important role in regulating LPS. ..
- Su B, Huang H, Lin T, Hsiao C, Chen J. Epinecidin-1 protects mice from LPS-induced endotoxemia and cecal ligation and puncture-induced polymicrobial sepsis. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Basis Dis. 2017;1863:3028-3037 pubmed publisher..Overall, our results demonstrate that Epi is a promising therapeutic agent for endotoxemia and polymicrobial sepsis. ..
- Lin W, Chang H, Chen J. Electrotransfer of the tilapia piscidin 3 and tilapia piscidin 4 genes into skeletal muscle enhances the antibacterial and immunomodulatory functions of Oreochromis niloticus. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2016;50:200-9 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that TP3 and TP4 exert antimicrobial effects after overexpression in the O. niloticus muscle, and also play important roles in the regulation of immune-related gene expression. ..