- Complications in patients treated with plasmapheresis in the intensive care unit
II Department of Internal Diseases, Jagiellonian University Medical College, Cracow, Poland
Anaesthesiol Intensive Ther 45:7-13. 2013
..The procedure is used in a variety of conditions, including autoimmune diseases. The aim of the present study was to analyse the incidence of plasmapheresis-related complications in patients treated in the intensive care unit (ICU)...
- Cutting edge issues in the Churg-Strauss syndrome
Department of Medicine, Jagiellonian University Medical College, Skawinska 8, 31 066, Krakow, Poland
Clin Rev Allergy Immunol 44:39-50. 2013
..Glucocorticoids are still the mainstay of treatment; however, data are accumulating regarding the beneficial role of novel immunosuppressants and biologic compounds, especially in patients with poorer prognosis...
- 12-hydroxy-eicosatetraenoic acid (12-HETE): a biomarker of Churg-Strauss syndrome
Department of Medicine, Jagiellonian University Medical College, ul Skawinska 8, Krakow, Poland
Clin Exp Allergy 42:513-22. 2012
..Eicosanoids--important inflammatory and signaling molecules--are present in exhaled breath condensate (EBC) and broncho-alveolar lavage fluid (BALF)...
- QT dispersion in patients with Churg-Strauss syndrome
2nd Department of Internal Medicine, Jagiellonian University Medical College, Krakow, Poland
Kardiol Pol 69:1143-9. 2011
..Nevertheless, little is known about the possible myocardial repolarisation abnormalities in CSS which may lead to life-threatening ventricular arrhythmias...
- [Plasmapheresis in intensive therapy unit]
Oddział Intensywnej Terapii, II Katedra Chorób Wewnętrznych, Collegium Medicum UJ w Krakowie
Anestezjol Intens Ter 42:100-6. 2010
..The procedure is safe, and complications are rare and not serious...
- [The influence of leukotriene receptor antagonists treatment on Churg-Strauss syndrome]
II Katedra Chorób Wewnętrznych, Uniwersytet Jagielloński Collegium Medicum, Krakow
Przegl Lek 67:439-42. 2010
..Leukotriene receptor antagonists (LTRAs) may participate in the pathogenesis of the disease...
- Impaired cardiovascular autonomic nervous system function in patients with Churg-Strauss syndrome
Department of Medicine, Jagiellonian University Medical College, Krakow, Poland
Scand J Rheumatol 40:304-7. 2011
..Autonomic nervous system (ANS) function can be assessed by studying heart rate variability (HRV) and a decrease in the spectrum of HRV correlates with ANS impairment...
- The course of asthma in Churg-Strauss syndrome
Department of Medicine, Jagiellonian University Medical College, Skawinska, Krakow, Poland
J Asthma 48:183-7. 2011
..Asthma is one of the key features of Churg-Strauss syndrome (CSS); however its course in the disease is unclear. The aim of this study was to analyze the asthma course in CSS patients...
- Multimodality assessment of cardiac involvement in Churg-Strauss syndrome patients in clinical remission
Department of Medicine, Jagiellonian University Medical College, Skawi nska 8, 31 066 Krakow, Poland
Circ J 75:649-55. 2011
..Therefore, the cardiac involvement in CSS patients in clinical remission was assessed in the present study...
- A single dose of aprotinin prevents platelet hyporeactivity after coronary artery bypass graft surgery
2nd Department of Medicine, Jagiellonian University Medical Collage, Krakow, Poland
Pol Arch Med Wewn 120:321-7. 2010
..The exact mechanism of its action, particularly its effect on platelet function, remains unclear...
- Pulmonary findings in Churg-Strauss syndrome in chest X-rays and high resolution computed tomography at the time of initial diagnosis
Department of Medicine, Jagiellonian University Medical College, Skawinska 8, 31 066 Krakow, Poland
Clin Rheumatol 29:1127-34. 2010
..6% of patient in chest X-rays, and in 100%, when HRCT was performed. These changes are nonspecific; however, they should be not overlooked, as they may help in establishing the diagnosis and suggest the prognosis...
- Beneficial therapeutic effect of plasmapheresis after unsuccessful treatment with corticosteroids in two patients with severe toxic epidermal necrolysis
Department of Medicine, Division of Critical Care, Jagiellonian University, Krakow, Poland
Ther Apher Dial 14:354-7. 2010
..Plasmapheresis led to prompt improvement, with extensive reepithealization of the skin, and eventually total recovery of both patients. In severe TEN unresponsive to corticosteroids, treatment with plasmapheresis should be considered...
- Aspirin tolerance and leukotriene biosynthesis in Churg-Strauss syndrome
Department of Medicine, Jagiellonian University, Krakow, Poland
Allergy 63:949-50. 2008
- Acute respiratory failure in patients with Guillain-Barré syndrome and myasthenic crisis treated with plasmapheresis in the intensive care unit
II Department of Internal Medicine, Jagiellonian University School of Medicine, Krakow, Poland
Pol Arch Med Wewn 118:239-42. 2008
..Early treatment with plasma exchange shortens the treatment duration, whereas early intubation can prevent life-threatening complications...
- Intrinsic pathway of apoptosis in peripheral blood eosinophils of Churg-Strauss syndrome
Department of Medicine, Jagiellonian University Medical College, ul Skawinska 8, 31 066 Krakow, Poland
Rheumatology (Oxford) 48:1202-7. 2009
..We wondered whether eosinophil accumulation in CSS results from the defect of intrinsic apoptosis pathway in blood eosinophils, leading to their prolonged survival...
- Functional effects and gender association of COX-2 gene polymorphism G-765C in bronchial asthma
Department of Medicine, Jagiellonian University School of Medicine, Krakow, Poland
J Allergy Clin Immunol 114:248-53. 2004
..Prostaglandins, generated via the COX pathways, are essential mediators of inflammation in bronchial asthma. The promoter polymorphism of COX-2 gene (G-765C), which might affect binding of transcription factors, has recently been described..
- Lipoxins and aspirin-triggered lipoxins in airway responses
Bruce D Levy
Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 525:19-23. 2003
..Moreover, these results indicate that LX's play pivotal and previously unappreciated roles in regulating allergy and pulmonary inflammation...
- Multi-pronged inhibition of airway hyper-responsiveness and inflammation by lipoxin A(4)
Bruce D Levy
Center for Experimental Therapeutics and Reperfusion Injury, Department of Anesthesiology, Perioperative and Pain Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Nat Med 8:1018-23. 2002
..Moreover, our findings suggest that lipoxin and related pathways offer novel multi-pronged therapeutic approaches for human asthma...