George P Schmid
Affiliation: World Health Organization
- Economic and programmatic aspects of congenital syphilis preventionGeorge Schmid
Research Scientist, Department of HIV AIDS, World Health Organization, 20 Avenue Appia, Geneva 27, Switzerland
Bull World Health Organ 82:402-9. 2004..The prevention of congenital syphilis should be a global priority; international agencies and national programmes should be committed to improving antenatal care (ANC) services including syphilis detection and prevention...
- Transmission of HIV-1 infection in sub-Saharan Africa and effect of elimination of unsafe injectionsGeorge P Schmid
WHO, Geneva, Switzerland
Lancet 363:482-8. 2004..Increased efforts are needed to reduce sexual transmission of HIV-1...
- The need and plan for global elimination of congenital syphilisGeorge P Schmid
Department of HIV AIDS, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Sex Transm Dis 34:S5-10. 2007..The newly proposed World Health Organization Strategy for the Global Elimination of Congenital Syphilis aims to mobilize resources and provide a plan to address this under-recognized health problem...
- HIV infection, antiretroviral therapy, and CD4+ cell count distributions in African populationsBrian G Williams
Stop TB Department, World Health Organization, Geneva 1211 CH 1211, Switzerland
J Infect Dis 194:1450-8. 2006....
- Progress in global blood safety for HIVTeiji Takei
EMP EVA MOE, UNAIDS, Geneva, Switzerland
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 52:S127-31. 2009..To assess progress toward ensuring a globally safe blood supply...
- Cost-effectiveness of nevirapine to prevent mother-to-child HIV transmission in eight African countriesMichael D Sweat
Department of International Health, Bloomberg School of Public Health, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
AIDS 18:1661-71. 2004..Most attention has been given to preventing vertical transmission based on analysis showing nevirapine to be inexpensive and cost-effective...
- On-site rapid antenatal syphilis screening with an immunochromatographic strip improves case detection and treatment in rural South African clinicsRachel N Bronzan
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Sex Transm Dis 34:S55-60. 2007....
- HIV voluntary counseling and testing and behavioral risk reduction in developing countries: a meta-analysis, 1990--2005Julie A Denison
Department of International Health, Johns Hopkins University, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, USA
AIDS Behav 12:363-73. 2008..Such expansion, however, must be accompanied by rigorous evaluation in order to test, refine and maximize the preventive benefits of learning one's HIV infection status through HIV testing and counseling...